• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Take the Essex one away while you are at it and Warwickshires from this year as they employed Bresnan as he was named too. Where would you stop?
My comment was flippant but I'd probably stop with the county that was still trying to bury the truth and buy Rafiq's silence as of a couple of months ago, whilst keeping those in power happily in charge.

Sure there have been instances at other counties but it doesn't seem on the same instutional level as Yorkshire and they don't seem to have made every attempt to completely ignore the issue like Yorkshire have seemed to do.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Take the Essex one away while you are at it and Warwickshires from this year as they employed Bresnan as he was named too. Where would you stop?
Well, and you've got to look at the timing. Most of the Essex complaints appear to have origins before this recent successful period. No idea who the complaints have been about, but there's definitely been statements that the people complained about are no longer with the club. The complainants have also been from the past. Would seem to me to be Grayson-era rather than Silverwood/McGrath. Hard to know of course.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Yorkshire's own commissioned report accepts that "In August 2018, when Azeem Rafiq raised concerns of racism there was a failure by the
Club to follow its own policy or investigate these allegations." Their issue wasn't just employing people who have suddenly been mentioned now but having a player approach them with allegations of racism and then weeks later releasing him. That may well have been for playing reasons - his stats in T20 - the format he played were not great that season. However, I also wouldn't be shocked if there were words to the effect of "Rafiq doesn't fit into the team dynamics well enough" or "he's not enough of a team player" when discussing whether to renew his contract. All speculation of course, but they'd avoid that if they took racism allegations seriously in the first place.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I guess it was expected - especially by Moxon and Gale. Moxon gone ill (forever) and Gale already confirmed "hes done with cricket". Hopefully now the club can make a fresh start. Focus on the actual game and just make sure a safe and secure environment where this crap is never allowed to fester again.
Always edifying to see these types playing the victim card.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
he has already been exposed a racist-enabler, for all intents and purposes, it's the same thing...
Exposed by who?
There are complex levels when talking about racists and racism.
At the top of the scale are the out-and-out racists who believe others to be inferior than them because of the colour of their skin. These are the most abhorrent and dangerous types of racist.
Then we have those who are guilty of making racist remarks/jokes. These people, either unintentionally or otherwise, show a disregard for other races by their comments. They generally don't perceive themselves as racist but their behaviour is hurtful and tantamount to racial bullying.
Marginally below these are the group who, while not making racist comments themselves, clearly support such behaviour by laughing along with and encouraging such behaviour.
Then we have a group that, by not speaking up against the abovementioned, are guilty of a herd mentality and their silence can be taken as support.
These different levels exist in all areas of society - the workplace, sporting groups, even family and friends. It's easy to be a keyboard warrior and criticise those who Anil describes as 'racist-enablers' but confrontation face-to face can be daunting and, sadly, too many take the easy way out and say nothing. Their 'intent' isn't to support racist behaviour but their silence condones it.
It takes courage to speak out, particularly if one feels they are in the minority. Fortunately more and more people are showing that necessary courage ... they are the agents of change, not the silent ones who do nothing.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Exposed by who?
There are complex levels when talking about racists and racism.
At the top of the scale are the out-and-out racists who believe others to be inferior than them because of the colour of their skin. These are the most abhorrent and dangerous types of racist.
Then we have those who are guilty of making racist remarks/jokes. These people, either unintentionally or otherwise, show a disregard for other races by their comments. They generally don't perceive themselves as racist but their behaviour is hurtful and tantamount to racial bullying.
Marginally below these are the group who, while not making racist comments themselves, clearly support such behaviour by laughing along with and encouraging such behaviour.
Then we have a group that, by not speaking up against the abovementioned, are guilty of a herd mentality and their silence can be taken as support.
These different levels exist in all areas of society - the workplace, sporting groups, even family and friends. It's easy to be a keyboard warrior and criticise those who Anil describes as 'racist-enablers' but confrontation face-to face can be daunting and, sadly, too many take the easy way out and say nothing. Their 'intent' isn't to support racist behaviour but their silence condones it.
It takes courage to speak out, particularly if one feels they are in the minority. Fortunately more and more people are showing that necessary courage ... they are the agents of change, not the silent ones who do nothing.
very complex, the situation is...meditate on this, i will...

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah this mud slinging at Joe Root is pretty dire IMO. I don't mind his name in the discussion here or even genuine criticism of him for not taking a stand and speaking up......thats a fair enough take. But "racist enabler" and some of the other stuff being said is realy OTT.

Sure plenty of its been said tongue in cheek but this is hardly a topic to be flippant about. Throw the book at the guilty ****s but don't be taring everyone with ties to YCCC with the same brush. That's just woeful.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah this mud slinging at Joe Root is pretty dire IMO. I don't mind his name in the discussion here or even genuine criticism of him for not taking a stand and speaking up......thats a fair enough take. But "racist enabler" and some of the other stuff being said is realy OTT.

Sure plenty of its been said tongue in cheek but this is hardly a topic to be flippant about. Throw the book at the guilty ****s but don't be taring everyone with ties to YCCC with the same brush. That's just woeful.
If he is a racist enabler then what is Australia employing Vaughan this ashes series?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

I will be becoming fully active in my Lord Protector role in response to this slander

Burgey

Yeah, well knowing about it, being present when jokes are made and doing nothing when you're a senior player and then England captain does make you an enabler ffs.

His position is untenable. He must resign or be dropped.

Dropped

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

Rested.

Teja.

Global Moderator

Honestly, I don't hold strong views on Root's past inaction. It's a bit disappointing he didn't stand up for victims but par for the course considering his age.

What I find much worse is his PR statement about him never having been around any incident of racial name calling etc which frankly sounds like complete bull**** to me considering what we now know about Ballance and how close Root was to him. The wording seemed very self serving and dishonest as opposed to a good faith response to the situation.

I don't think he should be called a racist. However, he has come across as piss weak in the least few weeks.

Burgey

What I find much worse is his PR statement about him never having been around any incident of racial name calling etc which frankly sounds like complete bull**** to me considering what we now know about Ballance and how close Root was to him. The wording seemed very self serving and dishonest as opposed to a good faith response to the situation.

I don't think he should be called a racist. However, he has come across as piss weak in the least few weeks.
Not racist, but with racists. Where's Ed with the appropriate Simpsons meme?

His position is untenable. He must resign or be sacked forthwith.

Burgey

It's not rubbish at all. He's been contradicted on his assertions by the players at the centre of this whole scandal. Are you and he saying those players are lying, but only lying about Root and telling the truth about everyone and everything else?

His position is untenable. He must resign.

Resign.

R E S I G N
E
S
I
G
N

Quit.