• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Women's Cricket discussion thread

Molehill

International Captain
With no KSB, our seam bowling looks a bit light. As you say Wong and Bell are very promising but they need to really hit their straps if we're to win.

The batting looks pretty solid - good mixture of youth and experience and we have good spin options.

Our fielding needs sharpening up - the Aussies are a cut above any other team and we will have to catch well to win

We've been found slightly wanting in recent tournaments- the Commonwealth games and WC but we have plenty of talent and whilst the Aussies are favourites, we're not without a chance.
Pretty good fielding on display today, Dunkley took one excellent catch and nothing was dropped that I saw (that you'd expect to be taken anyway). Bell was the best bowler on show and her final over was excellent, hitting the stumps twice.

I've been having a go at choosing the test side thing on the BBC site. It's really not easy! There are obvious matchwinners that are auto pics but there is a big pool of talented youngsters also.

I tried that too. Agreed about certain automatic picks, but I've no idea who will open the batting or if they take a punt on a young talent like Capsey in the Test team. Bell, Wong, Cross seemed like the only real seamers (with NSB).

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Pretty good fielding on display today, Dunkley took one excellent catch and nothing was dropped that I saw (that you'd expect to be taken anyway). Bell was the best bowler on show and her final over was excellent, hitting the stumps twice.

I tried that too. Agreed about certain automatic picks, but I've no idea who will open the batting or if they take a punt on a young talent like Capsey in the Test team. Bell, Wong, Cross seemed like the only real seamers (with NSB).
I think Emma Lamb will probably open in the tests with Tammy Beaumont but they play so little red ball cricket, there's not alot to go on form wise.

Molehill

International Captain
I think Emma Lamb will probably open in the tests with Tammy Beaumont but they play so little red ball cricket, there's not alot to go on form wise.
Well at least the Test is 5 days this time, although given it's at TB, I suspect they might still struggle to take 20 wickets.

I imagine you're right, the team will probably mirror the ODI one as it's the nearest thing to red ball cricket these days. The one player I'd question being in the Test team would be Ecclestone, I wonder if they might want to try someone who spins it more.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Meg Lanning is out of The Ashes for medical reasons.

Hope she's OK as it didn't specify what the medical issue is.

Big blow to the Aussies - she's a great player and captain.

cnerd123

likes this

Hype

HK needed a Super Over to beat China in the final of a T20I tri series this past weekend as well! Japan the third team. Slightly weakened squad for HK tho, only selecting girls eligible for the upcoming Asian Games. Should be back to full strength for this tournament, will be interesting to see the standard of the India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Pakistan 'A' teams. Fatima Sana has already been announced as captain for Pakistan 'A'!

Molehill

International Captain
I'm wondering where the threads will go for the Women's Ashes.

But a couple of interesting warm up games where England blitzed 500 in a day against Australia A and England A had the better of the game with the Aussie First XI (both on very flat pitches it seems) I know they're only warm ups, but good to see that perhaps this won't be a complete walkover. The loss of Lanning could be a big blow.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
3 ODI suppose to starts from june 27
At Galle Newzealand women vs Sri lankan women

SL W Squad: Chamari Athapaththu (capt), Vishmi Gunaratne, Har****ha Samarawickrama, Nilakshi de Silva, Kavisha Dilhari, Anushka Sanjeewani, Oshadi Ranasinghe, Kawya Kavindi, Sugandika Kumari, Inoka Ranaweera, Udeshika Prabodhani, Hansima Karunaratne, Inoshi Fernando, Imesha Dulani, Hasini Perera

NZ W squad | : Sophie Devine (c), Suzie Bates, Bernadine Bezuidenhout, Eden Carson, Izzy Gaze, Maddy Green, Brooke Halliday, Fran Jonas, Melie Kerr, Jess Kerr, Rosemary Mair, Molly Penfold, Georgia Plimmer, Hannah Rowe, Lea Tahuhu

Good to see Jess Kerr picked up, she is very important member for Playing Xl

SL W team Loaded with Good Spin Bowling option

G. S. Kohli

Himannv
Ecclestone (

5 fer in on going Ashes test)is Legendary Spinner. I wants her Autograph.

i have Poonam Yadav Autograph, who is very popular Indias Women spinner

G. S. Kohli

Kerr Family.

Kerr's mother Jo and father Robbie both played cricket at domestic level representing Wellington. Her younger sister is Amelia Kerr, who plays for New Zealand. Her grandfather, Bruce Murray, played Test cricket for New Zealand, who passes away in jan 2023 i witnessed his 90 in test at Lahore against Quality Pakistan spin, his 1st 2 test since debut he scored 54 & 74 vs India in 1968/69 my interest in cricket starts because of his batting. I am not kidding, i am serious..

Last edited:

G. S. Kohli

Hype

HK needed a Super Over to beat China in the final of a T20I tri series this past weekend as well! Japan the third team. Slightly weakened squad for HK tho, only selecting girls eligible for the upcoming Asian Games. Should be back to full strength for this tournament, will be interesting to see the standard of the India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Pakistan 'A' teams. Fatima Sana has already been announced as captain for Pakistan 'A'!
Ind A won Final

Flem274*

123/5
Hoping we can discover some batswomen on this tour. Maddy Green and Brooke Halliday in particular need to lift from 20s averages to 30s and 40s. Our best women with the bat are all close to retirement age, Melie Kerr excepted.

Our long term bowling stocks are stable for now. Amelia Kerr obv a great and her sister and Hannah Rowe are both respectably talented (I like Rowe's height). Tahuhu again probably closer to the end than the beginning. One great pacer in the Ismail mold would be amazing though.

There's a few new names in there to me. Anyone to look out for?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have high hopes for Plimmer - she averaged over 50 in the U19 T20 World Cup earlier in the year. But yeah, the batting is the worry once Bates and Devine retire.

ataraxia

International Coach
Yeah the batting depth is just dreadful, which made the decision to retire Satterthwaite, who promptly dominated the following season domestically, even worse. Halliday showed promise against India, but has done nothing of note otherwise really. Incidentally she's moving to Auckland next season, which will make ND direr yet.

G. S. Kohli

West Indies Women vs Ireland Women
at Gros Islet, St Lucia

1st ODI (ICC Championship Match), Ireland Women tour of West Indies, 2023

Westindies women squad for first two ODIs: Hayley Matthews (capt), Shemaine Campbelle (vice-capt), Aaliyah Alleyne, Shamilia Connell, Chinelle Henry, Afy Fletcher, Cherry-Ann Fraser, Shabika Gajnabi, Zaida James, Djenaba Joseph, Qiana Joseph, Ashmini Munisar, Karishma Ramharack, Shunelle Sawh, Stafanie Taylor, Rashada Williams

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Well, that doesn't look promising.