• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of Bangladesh 2018

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
The good news is, Hope seems to be learning how to carefully construct a ODI ton. He goes about it systematically, like a very low-rent Kohli.

The bad news is, WI still suck mightily. Samuels and Darren Bravo kill all momentum, and the bowling attack (I can't believe I'm saying this) looks awful without Holder.

That T20 team list is also depressing; Carlos Brathwaite is not a T20 batsman, and is actually more suited for tests, but the selectors have moulded him into a kind of caricatural, brainless slogger.
Yep as it stands we have two world class ODI players in Hetmeyer and Hope. 4 if Lewis and Gayle play. Otherwise it's dreadful.

R.e the bowling, if they play Oshane, McCoy and try a spinner not named Bishoo, things might start looking up.

R.e the T20 squad, at least it has a bit of freshness about it. They need to bat Allen higher and actually play Rutherford.

rodk

School Boy/Girl Captain
How do supporters, especially children, follow the matches with the 11 hour time difference between WI and Bangladesh? Aren't all the matches played overnight on West Indies time? How can interest be maintained if watching the matches is so complicated? How does the team get paid for appearing when no one is awake to watch?

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Well, I imagine; no wait, I know from experience that people don't generally watch matches in unfavourable time zones. Therefore, they rely on highlights, replays, reports, commentaries and this great trove of information right here. Then again, the time zone may be favourable and yet other factors affect watchability (although there's sometimes ********* for those cases).

Matches played in WI are, of course, viewable easily by people there as they are not overnight when they are played there (not that anyone turns up to the ground as the WI team is ****). And people can maintain interest by doing all that had been stated above. It'll always be the stronger fans following overseas, but all matches have a home-based audience (except the UEA in practice); it stands to reason that as all matches are played during the day/evening at that particular location, there will be people awake to view them. Players are also not nowadays paid directly from ground revenue.

All this watching and following is, of course, simplified if one is not a dolt who doesn't know how time-zones work.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
How do supporters, especially children, follow the matches with the 11 hour time difference between WI and Bangladesh? Aren't all the matches played overnight on West Indies time? How can interest be maintained if watching the matches is so complicated? How does the team get paid for appearing when no one is awake to watch?
how do MLB, NBA, AFL, EPL, UFC, etc etc have fans all across the world in different time zones?

dumb question

Beamer

One thing for the team to think about is that Shai has bossed it as an opener. I would be reticint to move him after such a dominant performance, he really looks a natural opener in ODI cricket. So maybe the line up for England ODI's should be:

Chris Gayle
Shai Hope (wk)
Evin Lewis
Shimron Hetmeyer
Nicholas Pooran/Sunil Ambris
Fabian Allen/Roston Chase
Andre Russell/Rovman Powell
Jason Holder (c)
Ashley Nurse/Rakheem Cornwall/A spinner better than Bishoo
Obed Mcoy/Keemo Paul
Oshane Thomas

Now actually that is a lineup I can get behind! No slow pokes at all. They would need time to gel but I would at least know that is a logical selection based on the demands and requirements of modern ODI cricket.

Last edited:

rodk

School Boy/Girl Captain
how do MLB, NBA, AFL, EPL, UFC, etc etc have fans all across the world in different time zones?

dumb question
I thought you didn't want me comparing other sports. What is it going to be? Do I show you up or not?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surely you gotta keep Bravo for ODIs. He tore up the cpl iirc and is the best test bat in the Caribbean

Hel come good in this format he's got the tools

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
These ****ers need a leader.

I would open the batting with Sherfane and Evin

Sherfane is good against spin.
Will rip those BD spinners apart.

Gomez656

U19 Cricketer
Teams for 3 t20i

Full Squad Bangladesh : Shakib Al Hasan (Captain), Tamim Iqbal, Soumya Sarkar, Liton Das, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah (Vice Captain), Rubel Hossain, Mustafizur Rahman, Mehidy Hasan, Nazmul Islam, Mohd. Mithun, Mohd. Saifuddin, Abu Hider Rony, Ariful Haque

The first T20I is on December 17 in Sylhet.

Full Squad Westindies :Carlos Brathwaite (c), Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer, Fabian Allen, Kesrick Williams, Keemo Paul, Khary Pierre, Evin Lewis, Nicholas Pooran, Rovman Powell (VC), Denesh Ramdin, Shai Hope, Sherfane Rutherford, Sheldon Cottrell, Oshane Thomas

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bravo is an interesting case right now. In England for the World Cup he is a no brainer to me but in these current conditions its way more debatable.

Beamer

For the T20 tomorrow I really hope they play Rutherford, Allen, Thomas, Hety and all the youngsters. Give us something to cheer about at least. Not the same old people failing. What the hell is Random doing there anyway?

Beamer

Bravo is an interesting case right now. In England for the World Cup he is a no brainer to me but in these current conditions its way more debatable.
His career strike rate is below 70 after many many games in lots of different conditions. He and Samuels are both unsuitable to modern ODIs. It's time the selectors see that, try Ambris and Pooran, bat Allen higher and just see how it goes.

Look at England for inspiration. They had the same problem and decided to start fighting fire with fire. 3 years later they are a top top side. If we're going to lose, let's do so playing our shots and with youngsters who in theory have the right skillset.

Beamer

Why Narine not even in team
Unavailable for selection I believe.

Excellent win today on the back of pace bowling and aggressive batting from young players. That should be our modus operandi win or lose. It was great to see Pooran in at 3 and Paul at 4. They should continue giving aggressive young batsmen a chance.