• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in Bangladesh 2021

Aritro

International Regular
Well that was quite cruisy in the end. The best that can be said about it so far is that we have avoided embarrassment, and Mahmud getting three on debut will give us something to be excited out before he goes the way of every other seamer who shows promise.

Akeal Hosein looked genuinely excellent as well. Surprised to see how little cricket he has played domestically at his age, with just 20-25 first class matches and not a huge number of List A appearances. I get the sense he was a club cricketer who suddenly broke through fairly recently?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Outclassed as expected. That batting lineup is scary bad, I just don't see how they will cope with Shakib.

Pitch was pretty terrible for ODI cricket though, as evidenced by Akheil Hosein, who was very impressive, but should not be able to turn it like Warne!

If the pitch is like that, 180 batting first will likely be extremely competitive. So they'll just have to scrap and find a way in the middle overs.

Beamer

Well that was quite cruisy in the end. The best that can be said about it so far is that we have avoided embarrassment, and Mahmud getting three on debut will give us something to be excited out before he goes the way of every other seamer who shows promise.

Akeal Hosein looked genuinely excellent as well. Surprised to see how little cricket he has played domestically at his age, with just 20-25 first class matches and not a huge number of List A appearances. I get the sense he was a club cricketer who suddenly broke through fairly recently?
Our guys have not played enough FC cricket in general. Before the current set up, they would literally play 5 games a year.

He has been seen as a solid talent with good cricket basics, he just hasn't had the opportunities.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah he's been very good. Got some drift as well.

This might be a problem for us in the tests. :mellow:
and cornwell.
Alzarri Joseph although he didn’t pick up any wicket but was the best bowler as expected. He will cause few damage in the test I reckon.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty decisive stuff there from the Bangers & a good start to Tamim's reign. They must surely be targeting a clean sweep in this ODI series.

On another note, loving Bangladesh's new kits.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
and cornwell.
Alzarri Joseph although he didn’t pick up any wicket but was the best bowler as expected. He will cause few damage in the test I reckon.
I like Alzarri but he's really been somewhat of a letdown of recent times, especially with the red ball. Hopefully this is the start of a change of fortunes as opposed to a one off

JOJOXI

Outclassed as expected. That batting lineup is scary bad, I just don't see how they will cope with Shakib.

Pitch was pretty terrible for ODI cricket though, as evidenced by Akheil Hosein, who was very impressive, but should not be able to turn it like Warne!

If the pitch is like that, 180 batting first will likely be extremely competitive. So they'll just have to scrap and find a way in the middle overs.
A shame to see social media and how critical some are - expectations should be low - the first choice ODI side isn't all that good let alone a side short on international experience or experience in Bangladesh. I'd be surprised with anything less then a 3-0 defeat but if Hosein and Mayers can build on first ODI that will be 2 new finds for the ODI squad, a chance for likes of da Silva and C Holder to lay a claim throughout the series too. Optimistic of a better batting effort if batting first in 2nd ODI - if the pitch is anything similar they know they can drop their target batting first substantially and if you aim for 180 and look to accelerate late on to 200 that would at least give the bowlers a chance especially if there is another frontline spinner in the side for the next ODI

Beamer

A shame to see social media and how critical some are - expectations should be low - the first choice ODI side isn't all that good let alone a side short on international experience or experience in Bangladesh. I'd be surprised with anything less then a 3-0 defeat but if Hosein and Mayers can build on first ODI that will be 2 new finds for the ODI squad, a chance for likes of da Silva and C Holder to lay a claim throughout the series too. Optimistic of a better batting effort if batting first in 2nd ODI - if the pitch is anything similar they know they can drop their target batting first substantially and if you aim for 180 and look to accelerate late on to 200 that would at least give the bowlers a chance especially if there is another frontline spinner in the side for the next ODI
Unfortunately it is the West Indian way to cuss our cricketers regardless of context. Many supporters seem to be thinking that Bangladesh are still minnows which is ridiculous when you look at their home record. This series would have been fascinating and close IMHO even with our full strength line up so how on earth do they expect these guys to win?

My take on this lineup is it needs Ambris, Da Silva or Mohammed to score big or we're screwed. Mayers, Powell can hit cameos but we can't expect them to score 50 plus. They both have work to do against spin. Mayers looked a Million dollars against pace and pretty decent against left arm spin but it was a matter of time until the offie got him. He needs to work on that.

But I do agree that they should bat better in the second match now that they know 200 would possibly be a winning score. Surely they need to bring Rakheem into the side, or Permaul?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
We are making a big mistake by playing Soumya at lower down the order. Either you play him as top order or don’t play him at all. Saifuddin is the one who can hit big and better equipped at 7/8 than Soumya. It just does not make any sense to rely on him being 6th bowling option with his diblydobly and as lower order power hitter where Saifuddin is the better option.

JOJOXI

Unfortunately it is the West Indian way to cuss our cricketers regardless of context. Many supporters seem to be thinking that Bangladesh are still minnows which is ridiculous when you look at their home record. This series would have been fascinating and close IMHO even with our full strength line up so how on earth do they expect these guys to win?

My take on this lineup is it needs Ambris, Da Silva or Mohammed to score big or we're screwed. Mayers, Powell can hit cameos but we can't expect them to score 50 plus. They both have work to do against spin. Mayers looked a Million dollars against pace and pretty decent against left arm spin but it was a matter of time until the offie got him. He needs to work on that.

But I do agree that they should bat better in the second match now that they know 200 would possibly be a winning score. Surely they need to bring Rakheem into the side, or Permaul?
Yeah it does annoy me sometimes but even more so when I saw it after the 1st ODI - literally had a few days to adjust to foreign conditions with many not having even played ODI cricket and being expected to flourish seems harsh. Fulfilling the schedule and finding a couple players along the way is the main thing to get from this tour anything else is a bonus. And agree about it being tough even with full squad - I don't rate the ODI side all that highly, a few good batsman but also a couple iffy options - would like Lewis to really nail down a spot, and a middle order batsman along with Hope and Hetmyer. Plenty improvement needed in the bowling attack too. Surprised to see Cornwall and Permaul both not in the squad especially with likes of da Silva and Joseph going across to Test squad so would hope those 2 spinnerd could be added to ODI side easily enough. I guess without that option of another spinner an extra batting option makes sense

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Come on WI. 200 will be challenging. Needless shots giving away wickets cheaply. Ottley had a start and got carried away playing far too many away from the body and now Mccarthy with wild swing

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Imagine how many runs the Windies would score if the Bangladeshi spinners were getting it to turn?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Was looking forward to seeing Mayers. This is just sad. Likes of UAE, Ireland, Afghanistan and Zimbabwe would have fared better.

Beamer

Depressing but expected. I said the ODI series batting would be horrible and it has been.

I didn't even bother waking up to watch this one as it was so clear what would happen. We have to cut these guys some slack, it's our second and third string, with hardly any experience in these conditions, with no warm up match at all.

I was hoping to see one or two individual performances that stood out and gave the selectors something to think about but alas apart from Akheil Hosein there has been nothing at all of note.