• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Uruguay vs Ghana (Quarter-Final Two)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't believe anyone is having a go at Suarez. He did what he had to do and what every player in the world would do. This wasn't an attempted con in the Maradona/Henry tradition.
Yeah it's true

Can see why people are saying it's harsh but really, a professional footballer should always hit the target from a spot-kick. The way some people are carrying on it's like it was hard cheese and Ghana never got a chance to score. They got a penalty. A one on one from twelve yards. You have no right to complain if you miss from the spot.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't believe what a farce this sport is with the blokes getting red carded when their opponents blatantly dive, obvious goals and blatant off-sides being missed, and professional fouls being used to manipulate knock out matches. People can say that "this is football" but all I can think at the moment is imagine the anguish self-flaggelation and recriminations that would be going on if similar events happened in a cricket world cup. Only ever had a marginal interest in the sport, and this world cup has pretty much turned me off the game for good I'd say (and nothing to do with the Aussies getting knocked out).
I doubt too many real association football followers would disagree with you on any point there. I'd never hold the game up as a morally superior alternative because it's obviously not. Cheating is endemic (shirt pulling at corners is a personal hobby horse of mine; I reckon a ref could give a pen at pretty much any set piece where he so minded), as are wrong decisions and self-interest.

I spend a lot of time despairing of the sport and wondering how something so clearly flawed in so many respects is so popular; I don't know how any father could look at a player rolling on the floor in a paroxysm of agony, only to be resurrected Lazarus-like moments later by the award of a free-kick or the brandishing of a card and say "Yeah, this is the sport I want my son to play".

Ultimately, I always come back to that quote by Denis Pratt (AKA Quentin Crisp) who said "It's no good running a pig farm badly for 30 years while saying, 'Really, I was meant to be a ballet dancer.' By then, pigs will be your style." That's how I feel about what you'd call soccer and I'd call football; it's my style. It was ingrained at an early age and can't shake it off.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think there's a difference between the goalkeeper being out of the equation and beating the defender basically fair and square and being denied a goal, and then having to beat the keeper in a penalty situation.

Ghana should score from the penalty spot for sure, but whether it becomes any easier when you've just seen your team denied a certain victory through what amounts to cheating is probably slightly debatable.

I know they're professional footballers, but it must have been hard not to stand over the penalty thinking "We just won the game, what the ****!?"

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Think there's a difference between the goalkeeper being out of the equation and beating the defender basically fair and square and being denied a goal, and then having to beat the keeper in a penalty situation.

Ghana should score from the penalty spot for sure, but whether it becomes any easier when you've just seen your team denied a certain victory through what amounts to cheating is probably slightly debatable.

I know they're professional footballers, but it must have been hard not to stand over the penalty thinking "We just won the game, what the ****!?"
They would also have been thinking they'd have done the same thing. It's as simple as that really and ultimately I don't have a lot of sympathy for them.

Jarquis

I'd be standing over it thinking "I'm about to send you cheating bastards home" tbh.

Jarquis

Yeah, I don't think i ever said otherwise.

In fact, the point of my post wouldn't be that I'd be more inclined to miss, it was the opposite.

Son Of Coco

Not sure they would've to be honest. Don't think anyone can be.

"Everyone would've done the same thing" seems to be standard fare trotted out when something like this happens...if that's true then why don't we see it more often?

Pretty sure Ghana wouldn't have been thinking they'd have done it as they were waiting for the penalty to be taken. If it happened against a team anyone follows on here they'd also be adamant their team wouldn't do the same I'd imagine. :happy:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
People have rolled out plenty of examples but the main reason we don't talk about it more often is because players generally score from the spot. In fact I can't remember a situation like that where a player hasn't handled when it was his only choice.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

"Everyone would've done the same thing" seems to be standard fare trotted out when something like this happens...if that's true then why don't we see it more often?

Pretty sure Ghana wouldn't have been thinking they'd have done it as they were waiting for the penalty to be taken. If it happened against a team anyone follows on here they'd also be adamant their team wouldn't do the same I'd imagine. :happy:
Will hold my hand up and say I would've. Your bloke Kewell did too.

Son Of Coco

Haha, if you think what Kewell did and what Suarez did are the same thing I think you should send your application in to stand as a referee in 2014 in now :happy:

I won't accept any photoshopped pics where Kewell's hands actually look like they moved as evidence either.

Personally, it's never crossed my mind to try to cheat playing any sport. Don't think I'd try to do what Suarez did, but I'll never be in the goal mouth during a WC so I guess I can't say for sure.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

That's a pretty **** imagination you've got there then.:)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Haha, if you think what Kewell did and what Suarez did are the same thing I think you should send your application in to stand as a referee in 2014 in now :happy:

I won't accept any photoshopped pics where Kewell's hands actually look like they moved as evidence either.
Only difference was Kewell's was (marginally) more subtle.

Oh, and that Gyan scored, obvz. :p

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If you seriously think any professional footballer is going to think to himself on the spur of the moment "Hmm I think I'll let this in and everyone will pat me on the back and I'll get a nice warm fuzzy" then you're definitely watching the wrong sport.