• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Under 19 World Cup thread

Flem274*

123/5
Will be interesting to see how much of this talent is realised at the top level when the players are older, I don't think a huge amount of players who play at under 19 level get to tests IIRC. Certainly there's a few past under 19 blokes in NZ FC that are either injured or FC journeymen.

TBH out of this NZ side the only ones I see getting to test level are Southee, Williamson, Anderson, Boult and the Daniel Vettori esque spinner. The rest will come from blokes who achieve their potential later on, a few young players already in FC cricket and the black caps (McCullum and Taylor). Have a suspicion Greg Morgan won't get into the NZ team on bowling alone and will try and become a genuine allrounder, he can certainly bat at FC level well (despite being a bowler) but how good yet we can't be sure.

I don't think we'll win but I expect Southee and Williamson to wreak havoc often and Boult and Anderson to have good tournaments as well.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Quick resume of what Bangladesh have been up to...

Bangladesh in South Africa

22-24 December, Potchefstroom: Match abandoned (South Africa U19 v Bangladesh U19)

27-29 December, Potchefstroom: Match drawn
Bangladesh U19* 294 (80.5) - Mahmudul Hasan 64, Suhrawadi Shuvo 68
South Africa U19 434 (113.4) - Dolar Mahmud 5-75, Rubel Hossain 3-89
Bangladesh U19 208-2 (54) - Mithun Ali 80, Nadimuddin 72

1 January, Pretoria: Bangladesh U19 beat South Africa U19 by 2 wickets
South Africa U19* 158 (40.5) - Mohammad Shakil 3-36
Bangladesh U19 159-8 (47.2) - Mahmudul Hasan 50

3 January, Pretoria: India U19 beat Bangladesh U19 by 66 runs (D/L)
India U19* 280-6 (50) - Rubel Hossain 3-39
Bangladesh U19 150-7 (33)

4 January, Pretoria: Match abandoned (South Africa U19 v Bangladesh U19)

6 January, Pretoria: India U19 beat Bangladesh U19 by 1 run (D/L)
Bangladesh U19* 219-9 (50) - Nasir Hossain 61
India U19 161-5 (39.3)

8 January, Pretoria (Final): India U19 beat Bangladesh U19 by 137 runs
India U19* 260-8 (50) - Mahmudul Hasan 3-29
Bangladesh U19 123 (37.3)

Nepal in Bangladesh

24 January, Fatullah: Bangladesh U19 beat Nepal U19 by 111 runs
Bangladesh U19 302-4 (50) - Mithun Ali 142 (137), Nadimuddin 118 (134)
Nepal U19* 191-8 (50)

26 January, Fatullah: Match abandoned

28 January, BKSP: Bangladesh U19 beat Nepal U19 by 3 wickets
Nepal U19* 109 (38.1) - Suhrawadi Shuvo 8-3-9-3, Rubel Hossain 3-19
Bangladesh U19 113-7 (36.3) - Mithun Ali 30
(39 overs per side)

Next up are the West Indies at home.

Overall, this side is nowhere near as strong as the class of 2006, which contained the likes of Saqibul Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mehrab Hossain, Tamim Iqbal.

Watch out this time around for Dolar Mahmud (seamer), Mahmudul Hasan (off-spinning allrounder), Suhrawadi Shuvo (slow left arm and middle order bat, captain) and Mithun Ali (keeper/batsman).

luvaus

Cricket Spectator
Under 19 WC 2008, Who's gonna win?

1. Who r the favorites?
2. Which is the most talented side?
3. Who will be the Semi-Finalist?
4. Who can produce an upset?

Go on guys!!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know what the odds are but anyone putting money on a Team other than India or Pakistan to win the U-19 World Cup, IMHO is a fool !:)

FRAZ

International Captain
BUT They have IMad WASIm and MOhammed AAmer.
I am gonna go to Pakistan in this coming Novemeber after like 7 years or so . Trust me all these Pakistani common names sound like each other . I never heard about these guys anyways ! I'll search for them there !

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The tri series between Sri Lanka, Pakistan and England just finished with Pakistan winning the final easierly in the end. Pakistan were a bit hit and miss throughout the tournment, but when they needed to step up they did. Most of their wins were pretty comprehensive. Once again showed why they are 2nd favorities for the WC, even without Nasir Jamshed.

England started off really well beating Pakistan early and out playing Sri Lanka in their first couple games. Thought Sri Lanka found a way to get over the line in those matches. As the series went along England looked to be a bit off the pace as the Pakistan and Sri Lanka started to find combinations a bit better. Looks like they may struggle during the WC, unless they make some major improvements.

Sri Lanka showed some pretty positive signs as the tournment went along, pushing the Pakistan hard in some games. There does seem to be a fair bit of talent in the squad, with some impressive performances throughout. But with the selection of a lot of 18yo over 19yo they may lack the maturity even that this level in harder games as tournment get deeper. Along with NZ and SA they look like the sides if they get past the group stages could create a upset from top four of India, Pakistan, Australia and Bangladesh.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
When are the warm ups.
We must fly out soon,heard the kiwis in darwin.
No idea but with a lot minor tournments doing on, as well as the fact we are in the middle of the season for most players. I reckon there will only be one warm up per side. Reckon the Aussie will play one or two more grade games.

brockley

International Captain
Is james pattinson back from injury yet,or has he been replaced for the world cup?
Damien fleming just mentioned his name on tv:ph34r: .