• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Headingley* 25-29 August

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I see he's not in the touring squad, but is Hardik Pandya still a thing?

And if not, why not?

His seam is a steep downgrade on the the four incumbents', but he would be a serviceable fourth seam up option if Kohli is minded to insist on four and his extra batting would mean Ashwin could be swapped in for Jadeja.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year

And if not, why not?

His seam is a steep downgrade on the the four incumbents', but he would be a serviceable fourth seam up option if Kohli is minded to insist on four and his extra batting would mean Ashwin could be swapped in for Jadeja.
Long-term injury recovery means he's not yet ready to bowl in a Test match.

_00_deathscar

International Regular

And if not, why not?

Can’t bowl at the moment

And given how he’s gone in LOs of late and can barely connect with the ball, don’t have high hopes for him in tests

Although if you don’t connect with the ball you can’t nick out…so theres that!

Flem274*

123/5
How does Jadeja go in Duleep Trophy? Anyone who can hold a stick can score runs in Ranji.

Also while trawling I noticed Steven Finn is only 32. There's loads of dudes just meandering around County Cricket who I thought retired decades ago. James Hildreth, former test prospect, still exists with his massive FC batting average.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
How does Jadeja go in Duleep Trophy? Anyone who can hold a stick can score runs in Ranji.

Also while trawling I noticed Steven Finn is only 32. There's loads of dudes just meandering around County Cricket who I thought retired decades ago. James Hildreth, former test prospect, still exists with his massive FC batting average.
Scored a brisk 48, took 5/95 first innings and 5/76 second innings

Memes aside, the point is he looks a far more assured bat than the plodders at 3-5 at the moment, and in a couple of innings, he's gotten out because he's batting with the tail and knows there isn't much time left. Prior to those hit outs, he's generally looked assured.
Couple of crap dismissals too, couple of really good balls as well.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The numbers are what they are but I think he's been looking technically proficient. This is why I think he deserves the promotion.
Seven or eight to three at test level is like playing two different sports though. The bloke is rolled gold where you’ve got him. Surely the answer is to play an extra batsman and only three quicks?

I understand Kohli doesn’t want to do this, but I’m talking about what is actually for the best for the team? I don’t get the five bowler obsession. These aren’ttaxing conditions. It’s England. 15 Celsius and people take their shirts off. Four bowlers is enough, especially against the England batting side.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Scored a brisk 48, took 5/95 first innings and 5/76 second innings
Games like this really reassert that a lot of the bowling prospects in Indian domestic cricket are nowhere near Test standard.

Howe_zat

Audio File

And if not, why not?

D’you reckon Ashwin is a big upgrade on Jadeja as a bowler? I don’t think there’s much between them these days.

He’d have a right to feel aggrieved having been thrown at Lords and Headingley before being dropped for late summer Old Trafford too.

Uppercut

Seven or eight to three at test level is like playing two different sports though. The bloke is rolled gold where you’ve got him. Surely the answer is to play an extra batsman and only three quicks?

I understand Kohli doesn’t want to do this, but I’m talking about what is actually for the best for the team? I don’t get the five bowler obsession. These aren’ttaxing conditions. It’s England. 15 Celsius and people take their shirts off. Four bowlers is enough, especially against the England batting side.
I kinda think England would be very happy to see Ishant or Shami drop out for a debutant Indian batsman who nobody seems massively convinced by. Maybe in the long term they need to find another batsman from somewhere and the sooner they start trying to balance the side the better. But the immediate effect will be a big ****-off drop in raw cricketing quality so I can see why they’d put it off.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
D’you reckon Ashwin is a big upgrade on Jadeja as a bowler? I don’t think there’s much between them these days.
Massive difference between their bowling, at the moment. Jadeja looks like a part-timer in England. Ash has been quality for a while and has lots of experience in England.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I kinda think England would be very happy to see Ishant or Shami drop out for a debutant Indian batsman who nobody seems massively convinced by. Maybe in the long term they need to find another batsman from somewhere and the sooner they start trying to balance the side the better. But the immediate effect will be a big ****-off drop in raw cricketing quality so I can see why they’d put it off.
Yeah people are way overthinking it. India's issue just isn't really a selection one, it's that they have a world class middle order going nowhere. All of them have made multiple matchwinning hundreds overseas, Rahul and Pant too. The moment they get their **** together the lineup will look fine.

Uppercut

Yeah people are way overthinking it. India's issue just isn't really a selection one, it's that they have a world class middle order going nowhere. All of them have made multiple matchwinning hundreds overseas, Rahul and Pant too. The moment they get their **** together the lineup will look fine.
I know nothing about the alternatives so I don’t have a strong opinion, but that’s how it looks to me too. Rahane, meh, maybe there isn’t much in it between him and the next guy. But Pujara is confirmed quality and I’d back him to come good again before I’d back someone else to come good for the first time. Kohli even more so obviously.

Jadeja batting 6 is a no-brainer though. He’s looked relatively comfortable at the crease, but hasn’t had the chance to play normally for any length of time.

Uppercut

Also I feel like Pujara isn’t even having a bad series? Only out once at TB and made perfectly respectable contributions here and at Lord’s.

OverratedSanity

Also I feel like Pujara isn’t even having a bad series? Only out once at TB and made perfectly respectable contributions here and at Lord’s.
He's not been disastrous but he's generally looked very iffy when England have bowled well. It'd be unfair to disregard his 91 entirely but he got some very very generous bowling early in his innings which you can't bank on again.