• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Great tournament by Fed. Peaked at the right time.

Murrays chances in that second set will haunt him for a while.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Number one again isn't it, at age 30? Not too shabby.

What a player he is.
Farcical tbh

Djok has won 3/5 slams and been in the final of another

Cant believe that anyone seriously thinks that Roger is no. 1

Lovely guy, huge talent but choking repeatedly for about 3 years doesnt make you the best any more

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
oh ffs the first question to fed is about murray, this is embarassing.
All too predictable. 'Oh pleeeeeeeease tell us that you think Andy might win it at some point in the future, fawn, fawn, grovel, grovel.'

RF - 'Yeah for sure.'

Something like that I take it? I don't stick around for the interviews nowadays.

Credit to RF though. From the bits I saw Murray played well enough until he'd been completely worn down, but Federer was just a different class.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Farcical tbh

Djok has won 3/5 slams and been in the final of another

Cant believe that anyone seriously thinks that Roger is no. 1

Lovely guy, huge talent but choking repeatedly for about 3 years doesnt make you the best any more
It's not as though Federer won Wimbledon and suddenly he's No.1. He's been building to this ever since Djokovic beat him at the US Open. He's accumulated the most points on tour since then while Djokovic has consistently failed to defend his points from last year. How is that farcical? Djokovic can easily regain the No. 1 by year end if not after the Olympics.

Roger got the break he needed to win another Slam, but he beat Djokovic in the semis and played well in this tournament. And ultimately he has to because Murray could've easily gone up 2-0 in the final.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If you told me Fed would win another slam after the way he lost to Novak at the French if have almost scoffed. But then again if you told me Rosol would obliterate Rafa on centre court at Wimbledon id have burst into laughter so really, anything is possible. The amazing thing about his win over Novak to me was the fact he was able to put the French out of his mind, where he was thoroughly embarrassed.

I felt for Murray in the post match speech though. That's gotta be tough.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Does anybody know if it would be technically possible for Djokovic to enter a small ATP tour event between now and the Olympics and reclaim his No.1 ranking? I know he'd be unlikely to ever do it, but is it possible?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Does anybody know if it would be technically possible for Djokovic to enter a small ATP tour event between now and the Olympics and reclaim his No.1 ranking? I know he'd be unlikely to ever do it, but is it possible?
Yeah - he's only like 70 points behind Federer as it is. From what I can see, he only has 17 tournaments counting towards his rankings (which is very weird - I don't know if he's played a 250), and a couple of 0's in the 500 category. He could play at Hamburg, for instance, and regain No. 1 without winning it.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I checked the rulebook and he would have to commit to Hamburg 12 weeks before the first Monday of the tournament for it to replace the lowest of his 4 best World Tour 500 results. So technically it's not possible.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I think he would have needed to have fulfilled his commitment to 500 events in order for 250 events to count towards his ranking. He skipped two 500 events last year, so I don't know that a 250 event would count.

Checking the rankings site, it seems this season the 12 week entry deadline was shortened to 6 weeks for 500 events.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like he has room for one more countable 250 tournament, but since he'd be a late entry he probably wouldn't be seeded.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he would have needed to have fulfilled his commitment to 500 events in order for 250 events to count towards his ranking. He skipped two 500 events last year, so I don't know that a 250 event would count.

Checking the rankings site, it seems this season the 12 week entry deadline was shortened to 6 weeks for 500 events.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like he has room for one more countable 250 tournament, but since he'd be a late entry he probably wouldn't be seeded.
Wildcards are generally seeded if their rankings are good enough and every tournament would give a former #1 a WC you'd imagine.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Novak would be regretting his piss weak Madrid tournament where he threw in the towel right about now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is there a reason why he could be bothered to do that?

I mean, what benefit to him would there be in doing so? Would it mean a better draw at the Olympics if he did so or something?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The reason he wouldn't do it is he'd be sacrificing rest to try and get the top seed, which is probably not worth it.

Especially since he has played Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome, French and Wimbledon all in the space of around 2 and a bit months. And he's gone deep in all of those tournaments except Madrid so he'd want some rest before the Olympics.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Unless I am mistaken, he wasn't at the Shanghai Masters?

But yep he did pull out of Paris. Pretty clear he only ever entered the tournament for the cash.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unless I am mistaken, he wasn't at the Shanghai Masters?

But yep he did pull out of Paris. Pretty clear he only ever entered the tournament for the cash.
Sorry, season ending tournament in London - thought it was in China for some reason

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah used to be in Shanghai. Only changed it to London a few years back.

They need to sort out the calendar. When Murray and Novak, two of the best four players in the world, are either cbf or too fatigued to properly challenge for the World Tour Finals in London, there is an issue.

I'm a tennis tragic so would not want to see a Masters 1000 fall by the wayside, but I think one of them has to go. The Paris Masters generally is the one players give a **** about the least because it's so close to the World Tour finals, but at the same time its one of the more unique tournaments since the courts are super fast. So I wouldn't exactly want to see that go.