• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Incredible. Losing last year is one thing but day 1 of Wimbledon, wow.

Kind of speechless really. All this talk about a Roger v Rafa quarter and that possibility sinks before the end of day 1 :laugh:

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Coronis said:
Woo Hewitt is totally making a comeback to the top, right?
Intended Sarcasm or Billabong Delusion?

As for Nadal, it's surprising but hardly shocking. The grass is new, green and lush, and historically Nadal has always struggled in the first week (as opposed to 2nd week where the court wears down and plays more like RG) - notable examples being the 5 set matches against Haase (2010), Youzhny (2007), Soderling (2007), etc etc etc. Add his rustiness to the mix; he made a pathetic decision to not play any warm up tourney. Finally, Nadal tbh is not that great a player on non-glay surfaces. He's won only 1 tourney outside of clay in the last 30 months :blink: Darcis didn't even play that great; just decent, clever tennis.

Anyway it's good for Roger and considerably improves his chance of making a good run. Janowicz maybe tough but best to concentrate of a match at a time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Finally, Nadal tbh is not that great a player on non-glay surfaces. He's won only 1 tourney outside of clay in the last 30 months :blink:
That win was 3 months ago though! In a tournament with Murray and Djokovic!

In any case, I hope you mean "currently" not that great a player on non-clay surfaces, because prior to last year's Wimbledon he made the final in 5 Wimbledons in a row when he competed (2006-2011).

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That win was 3 months ago though! In a tournament with Murray and Djokovic!

In any case, I hope you mean "currently" not that great a player on non-clay surfaces, because prior to last year's Wimbledon he made the final in 5 Wimbledons in a row when he competed (2006-2011).
I think we are seeing the first signs that off the clay he isn't the player he was. His movement across the court was one of his strongest assets on all surfaces but he looked laboured at times the other day. Clay being slower he has a bit more time, I hope it is a blip and just him being shattered after winning the French and he has a great run in the US Open but I guess the doubts will be there till he dispels them. Still one of the all time great players though and we should not forget that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh I have no doubt he'll never be the same on non-clay surfaces. But he won a Masters 1000 in seriously impressive fashion less than 4 months ago. Can still be dangerous.

I think he summed it up best in his presser post-loss: "People remember the wins, not the losses"

Some people are going to use the last two Wimbledons to tear down his legacy, but at the end of the day he'll have 2 Wimbledons and have made 5 finals. Nothing to sneeze at. Chuck in an Australian Open (and a runner-up), a US Open (and a runner-up) and 8 French Opens, and he's done alright.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To the English flog who brought up the problems with "Australian sport" (i.e. the cricket team/Ashes) in Lleyton's press conference and how Lleyton losing means Austrlaian sport has lost its way - go **** yourself. Idiot.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Haven't seen a tournament quite like this one since Richard Krajicek, Malavai Washington, Todd Martin and um maybe Jason Stoltenberg made it to the semis, hope the upsets continue.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This was excessive though. Like they wanted Hewitt to say Australian tennis is in disarray at every instance.

Meanwhile, **** I love watching Gulbis. Such a random ****.