• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Srilanka and New Zealand LO tours to India - Jan 2023

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think we've started to rely on him and expect more, and he's also batting too high in the order for Odis. Any success he's had has come from 5/6.

I've always suspected he'd be someone who'd average 35-38 at best in tests and Odis so maybe he's hit his ceiling.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Yeah agree that 4 is too high for Mitchell. Latham would ideally slot there but nicks off too often (see the 2nd ODI vs Thakur, also vs Abbott in Aus) to be reliable in that position when he’s enjoyed all his ODI success at 5.

Would have a proper batsman like Young at 4 (could have used someone like him today - all that was needed from the middle order was to support Conway and play sensibly). Phillips and Mitchell can fight it out for no6.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah agree that 4 is too high for Mitchell. Latham would ideally slot there but nicks off too often (see the 2nd ODI vs Thakur, also vs Abbott in Aus) to be reliable in that position when he’s enjoyed all his ODI success at 5.

Would have a proper batsman like Young at 4 (could have used someone like him today - all that was needed from the middle order was to support Conway and play sensibly). Phillips and Mitchell can fight it out for no6.
This is how it actually might have to be. Phillips and Mitchell aren't top order players and having either of them at 7 would leave us light on bowling options (even though they can both kinda bowl).

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like a great innings from Conway, pity about the rest.

I think the growing anti-Mitchell sentiment is a little rough on him. He's coming off a run of absolutely red hot form in all formats, it happens to everyone unless you're Don Voges. For a while every shot he played seemed to work out, whereas now he's been caught reverse sweeping a couple of times, gloved one last night, caught on the boundary etc. It happens. In my ideal world he'd bat 5 in ODIs and 5/6 in tests but eh, can't always get what you want. Latham well suited to 5 in ODIs too. IMO Mitchell will be fine.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Mitchell's never really had red hot form in ODI's. Got cheap runs against Bangladesh and Scotland (he's never been dismissed against either of them). Against traditional opponents he averages low-20's. The only country he averages 25+ against is WI (41). Small sample sizes sure, but I'm not super confident that he's got the feet to fill Taylor's boots at 4 (though let's be honest, no one does).

Howsie

International Captain
I still don’t understand why so many people believe Phillips isn’t a top order bat. Up until what 18 months ago he generally always opened for Auckland and scored some massive 100’s. Heck, he’s opened a lot for New Zealand too.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Mitchell's never really had red hot form in ODI's. Got cheap runs against Bangladesh and Scotland (he's never been dismissed against either of them). Against traditional opponents he averages low-20's. The only country he averages 25+ against is WI (41). Small sample sizes sure, but I'm not super confident that he's got the feet to fill Taylor's boots at 4 (though let's be honest, no one does).
Fair point that it's more tests and T20 that Mitchell has had his successes in. I'm still keen to see more of him in ODIs though - I like the way he plays spin bowling given the World Cup is in India. There are the occasional batsmen that succeed in tests and T20s but aren't very good in ODIs; usually block-bash players that aren't good at rotating the strike. But Mitchell is a good strike rotator. So even if his ODI record doesn't quite bear scrutiny right now, I don't see any fundamental reason why he shouldn't succeed there given his test and T20 success.

I still don’t understand why so many people believe Phillips isn’t a top order bat. Up until what 18 months ago he generally always opened for Auckland and scored some massive 100’s. Heck, he’s opened a lot for New Zealand too.
Top 3 spots are taken but I would not have a problem with Phillips going to 4 in ODIs. We could really arrange that middle order with any combination of Latham 4/5 and Mitchell and Phillips 4/5/6 and it wouldn't make a big difference imo.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I think the real problem with Allen is that it seems he's had conflicting messages about his role at the top. Last night especially he got out on an absolute road playing very tentative. I would have expected his MO to be to go hard from ball 1, I'd much rather him get out being aggressive than prodding tentatively.

Yes he's showed he can adapt when wickets aren't conducive (96 vs Windies) but I think he's almost forgetting (maybe the selectors are forgetting too) why he's a beast at domestic level. In a full strength line up it's much easier for him to go hard when we have Conway, KW, Latham at 2,3,4 (hopefully).

Nicholls' time in the ODI side should be done.

Latham should bat at 4 for the WC, Phillips at 5, Mitchell/Neesham at 6.

Little bit surprised they didn't play Sodhi at all but I guess Bracewell/Santner are a lock at 7/8.

So my WC Squad is looking like this:

1. Allen
2. Conway
3. KW
4. Latham
5. Phillips
6. Neesham
7. M Bracewell
8. Santner
9. Henry
10. Ferguson
11. Boult

Southee, Sodhi, Young, Mitchell to round out the 15.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Helluva knock there from Conway. Not concerned about the results here. If we meet india in the world cup KO's, we win. Confident about that. Allen should just do the t20 thing in odis too. We have so many tuk-tukers like others above said. Just go for it lol. If there's a collapse all around him, then yeah take responsiblity and bat through.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Helluva knock there from Conway. Not concerned about the results here. If we meet india in the world cup KO's, we win. Confident about that. Allen should just do the t20 thing in odis too. We have so many tuk-tukers like others above said. Just go for it lol. If there's a collapse all around him, then yeah take responsiblity and bat through.
He should have one clear message. Just hit out whatever happens around him. I think Allen will be successful in that mode.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I watched most of the balls Duffy bowled and the highest I saw him hit was 137 ftr. Maybe Howsie saw one at 140 but it was mostly low 130s.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think the real problem with Allen is that it seems he's had conflicting messages about his role at the top. Last night especially he got out on an absolute road playing very tentative. I would have expected his MO to be to go hard from ball 1, I'd much rather him get out being aggressive than prodding tentatively.
I love blaming the coach/leadership but in Allen's case it's clearly him imo. We should persist because he's a huge talent and exactly what NZ's LO sides need, but he needs a lot of work on when to attack and not attack even when his role is all about high-SR batting. He's clearly not comfortable right now in situations that aren't T20-like, coaching can help but it's mainly up to him. Think PEWS said we should pick him if he only averages 30 in ODI but even that might be a stretch if he can't add a different gear.

This match's tentative dismissal partly a response to getting completely owned by Shami last match imo. He doesn't have the element of surprise now like he did against Australia in the T20I WC so his technique gets pulled apart and tested.

I absolutely think we should keep picking Allen all the way through to the ODI WC, but he will need to show some improvement.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
So 59 balls spares nz beaten by 90 runs indias last 8 gone for 117, nz last 8 managed 111.

.-- 45 Fours & 32 sixes in 90.1 overs.680 runs!

Shardul thakur MOTM & Gill POTS

Ind become #1 in ODI