• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Ireland in Sri Lanka 2022/23

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Resources:
Wisden India

Ireland tour of Sri Lanka, 2023

Apr 16-20,2023
Sri Lanka vs Ireland
1st Test at Galle International Stadium, Galle
10:00 IST / 04:30 GMT

Apr 24-28, 2023

Sri Lanka vs Ireland
2nd Test at Galle International Stadium, Galle
10:00 IST / 04 30 GMT

G. S. Kohli

Ireland Test Tour of Sri Lanka: Andy Balbirnie (Capt), Curtis Campher, Murray Commins, George Dockrell, Graham Hume, Matthew Humphreys, Andrew McBrine, Barry McCarthy, James McCollum, Peter Moor (wk), Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker (wk), Ben White, Matthew Foster.

Peter Moor played 8 test for Zimbabwe as keeper best of 83 with 5 scores of 50 at 35.53 average
Now in Ireland team for test

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This will most probably be a massacre looking at how the Irish are doing in Bangladesh, with Stirling also out of tests now. Prabath Jayasuriya could get a 20 wicket haul in the 2 tests. But I am hoping that the Irish do better. Batting depends on Balbirnie and Tector but I can't see how they will take 20 SL wickets with no good spinners.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Shame that ireland are the lower ranking test team that ended up doing this tour. They would be a ton more competitive in NZ/SA right now I think especially given the state of both of those teams, and I would be alot more interested to see how Zimbabwe or AFG would go in a series vs Sri lanka in Asia atm. If everyone is fit and available zimbabwe have a gun batting lineup with ballance, ervine, taylor etc and raza/burl for top 7 guys who can bowl some spin+a few handy spinners that can also hold a bat. Reckon they've be able to take a game off SL.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Shame that ireland are the lower ranking test team that ended up doing this tour. They would be a ton more competitive in NZ/SA right now I think especially given the state of both of those teams, and I would be alot more interested to see how Zimbabwe or AFG would go in a series vs Sri lanka in Asia atm. If everyone is fit and available zimbabwe have a gun batting lineup with ballance, ervine, taylor etc and raza/burl for top 7 guys who can bowl some spin+a few handy spinners that can also hold a bat. Reckon they've be able to take a game off SL.
ZIm and AFG will be obliterated in such case Make no mistakes. We may be crap in limited overs format, but our test stocks are commendable. These three teams will struggle to beat our A team on our home soil, especially given the strength of the spin bowling

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
ZIm and AFG will be obliterated in such case Make no mistakes. We may be crap in limited overs format, but our test stocks are commendable. These three teams will struggle to beat our A team on our home soil, especially given the strength of the spin bowling
Name me one Sri Lankan test spinner who's as good as motie not named Jayasuriya. Sri Lanka are good at home but there spin stocks are the worst they've been in ages in redball. Wandindu+theeshanka in white ball> red ball spinners pretty easy.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Name me one Sri Lankan test spinner who's as good as motie not named Jayasuriya. Sri Lanka are good at home but there spin stocks are the worst they've been in ages in redball. Wandindu+theeshanka in white ball> red ball spinners pretty easy.
Jayasuriya is relatively new. Ramesh Mendis and Jayawickrama have been very good for Srilanka till he came up and took their spot. Wanindu is not available for tests.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Jayasuriya is relatively new. Ramesh Mendis and Jayawickrama have been very good for Srilanka till he came up and took their spot. Wanindu is not available for tests.
Wandindu averages 100 in tests. I rate him but I'm not sold his style of bowling is suited to red ball.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Last time I checked Gudakesh Motie has not played for ZIM, IRE or AFG,

G. S. Kohli

April 24 -28, 2nd test, paul Stirling will joins Ireland team but he is not available for 1st test (April 16-20) also at Galle.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Not sure why the lazy ass can't join for the first test.
because there was originally one test only and he wasn’t part of that or the Bangladeshi test either. since then they changed the two odis against Sri Lanka to a test and he agreed to join as originally planned for odis

calling him lazy is lazy when he’s likely to be the Irish cricketer with the heaviest workload. he has played 17 more cricket matches than Tector since April 2022 for context

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
because there was originally one test only and he wasn’t part of that or the Bangladeshi test either. since then they changed the two odis against Sri Lanka to a test and he agreed to join as originally planned for odis

calling him lazy is lazy when he’s likely to be the Irish cricketer with the heaviest workload. he has played 17 more cricket matches than Tector since April 2022 for context
That is a surprise. I am not sure how he played so many international matches more than Tector since I always see Tector turning up and doing well while he has been missing a few matches. Still, when your country is playing its first test in 4 years, he could have played these tests instead of those other matches.

Socerer 01

International Captain
That is a surprise. I am not sure how he played so many international matches more than Tector since I always see Tector turning up and doing well while he has been missing a few matches. Still, when your country is playing its first test in 4 years, he could have played these tests instead of those other matches.
nah I wasn’t just counting international matches, I’ve counted all for the both of them as they both play in T20 leagues too

I just assume he doesn’t want to play the longer format. His last fc game was in 2019 in county cricket which isn’t a sign of someone that wants to be active in that format

G. S. Kohli

Fifties (but not hundreds) in each innings on Test debut

Harry Tector 50 in each innings on debut test for ireland vs Bangladesh at dhaka

BatsmanInns 1Inns 2ForOppositionVenueDate
Bruce Mitchell8861*South AfricaEnglandEdgbaston15-Jun-29
Frank de Caires8070West IndiesEnglandKensington Oval11-Jan-30
Jackie Grant53*71*West IndiesAustraliaAdelaide Oval12-Dec-30
Dilawar Hussain5957IndiaEnglandEden Gardens05-Jan-34
Merv Wallace5256New ZealandEnglandLord's26-Jun-37
Cyril Poole5569*EnglandIndiaEden Gardens30-Dec-51
Noel Harford9364New ZealandPakistanLahore26-Oct-55
Peter Richardson8173EnglandAustraliaTrent Bridge07-Jun-56
Graham Dowling7458New ZealandSouth AfricaOld Wanderers26-Dec-61
Bryan Davis5458West IndiesAustraliaQueen’s Park Oval26-Mar-65
Clive Lloyd8278*West IndiesIndiaBrabourne13-Dec-66
Sunil Gavaskar6567*IndiaWest IndiesQueen’s Park Oval06-Mar-71
Tony Greig5762EnglandAustraliaOld Trafford08-Jun-72
Peter Toohey8257AustraliaIndiaThe Gabba02-Dec-77
Rick Darling6556AustraliaIndiaAdelaide Oval28-Jan-78
Sew Shivnarine5363West IndiesAustraliaBourda31-Mar-78
Bruce Laird9275AustraliaWest IndiesThe Gabba01-Dec-79
Javed Omar6285*BangladeshZimbabweBulawayo19-Apr-01
Kevin Pietersen5764*EnglandAustraliaLord's21-Jul-05
Tamim Iqbal5384BangladeshNew ZealandDunedin04-Jan-08
Dinesh Chandimal5854Sri LankaSouth AfricaKingsmead26-Dec-11
Moises Henriques6881*AustraliaIndiaChepauk22-Feb-13
Kusal Perera5570Sri LankaIndiaSSC28-Au

Century in the first innings and fifty in the second on Test debut
George Gunn11974EnglandAustraliaSCG13-Dec-1907
Rodney Redmond10756New ZealandPakistanEden Park16-Feb-1973
Azhar Mahmood128*50*PakistanSouth AfricaRawalpindi06-Oct-1997
Lou Vincent10454New ZealandAustraliaWACA30-Nov-2001
Scott Styris10769*New ZealandWest IndiesSt George's28-Jun-2002
Andrew Strauss11283EnglandNew ZealandLord's20-May-2004
Umar Akmal12975PakistanNew ZealandDunedin24-Nov-2009
Fifty in the first innings and century in the second on Test debut

{Tucker 37 & 108 Who missed milestone of
50 & 100 on debut by 13 runs}

KS Ranjitsinhji62154*EnglandAustraliaOld Trafford16-Jul-1896
Herbie Collins70104AustraliaEnglandSCG17-Dec-1920
Paul Gibb93106EnglandSouth AfricaNew Wanderers24-Dec-1938
Gordon Greenidge93107West IndiesIndiaChinnaswamy22-Nov-1974
Alastair Cook60104*EnglandIndiaNagpur01-Mar-2006
Francois du Plessis78110*South AfricaAustraliaAdelaide Oval22-Nov-2012

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
nah I wasn’t just counting international matches, I’ve counted all for the both of them as they both play in T20 leagues too

I just assume he doesn’t want to play the longer format. His last fc game was in 2019 in county cricket which isn’t a sign of someone that wants to be active in that format
Yeah test cricket wouldn't really be the main format for the Irish lads. You can see with the lack of tests they don't have that much affection for it compared to the other formats.

Stirling has in the last few years lost out financially to play for Ireland, he nailed it in the initial hundred, but could only play a very small role in the second hundred series and in 2022 he had only a very short PSL contract as on both occasions he had to play for Ireland.

He may also have been hoping for an ipl call which is understandable as their is not one Irish player who wouldn't prioritise that over test cricket sadly.

Immenso

Pretty much no Irishman has played a FC game since 2019, though. Except for a few Ireland 'A' games. Their domestic comp has been suspended for coming up 4 seasons. And they can't play in county cricket 'as locals' anymore since they were granted test status.

E.g.
Only Andy Balbirnie, Andy McBrine, Mark Adair and George Dockrell have played Tests before, and between them they have seven caps. Of those, Balbirnie is the only one other than Moor to have played more than one first-class game in the last three years. Six other members of the Test squad played an unofficial Test in Bangladesh in 2021 but the rest have not played any red-ball games since 2019 and, of those, Matthew Humphreys and Ben White have not played a first-class game at all.
From: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...-can-play-for-ireland-at-the-next-one-1365694

Last edited: