• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of South Africa 2019

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
And this entire match Steyn was by far the best bowler. Olivier had no venom, and while Rabada still looked threatening he is obviously not playing with the fire he was when leading the attack. MAharaj has just been underbowled. But nitpicking on the bowling is a pointless endeavor, its not the SA teams problem.

Bahseph

State Captain
Definitely not, Philander is still their best bowler at home (touch and go with Rabada at worst).

Their problem is that their batting lineup is as brittle as it's ever been and Amla is in a seemingly terminal slump. Signs were there in the Pakistan series. You have to put up enough runs to insure yourself against freak events like this, and let's face it, they were up against SL's attack, not the WI's 80's battery in this game, and didn't get enough runs.
This is exactly how I feel about this game. I'd back most teams to defend 300 in the 4th innings let alone this attack. But there's no doubting that the batting left runs out there. Just having the attitude that "Hey we have four amazing quicks and Kesh, they can defend 200" isn't going to work all the time. It's been ages since SA batted someone put of the game with a collective team effort. Something that was common in the early 2010s.

Midwinter

State Captain
Congratulations to SL what a great win.

It was a reachable score if they could bat well.

This series looked like it was going to be a one-sided thrashing but SL have done much better than expected.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
de Villiers is not coming back, neither is Kallis or Smith, and Amla is not going to become his old self again. We seriously need to move on now and pick the upcoming talent. Again what our batting would look like with a still out of form QDK is terrifying to think of...

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Damn. Then you're screwed ;)
At least we not Australia :tongue:

Seriously though, we have India next after the WC. Don't expect anything then unless Steyn and/or Rabada go beast mode. But we need to have a settled idea of what we want our team to be come the Eng series end of the year.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My advice would be to have this batting line up:

Elgar
de Bruyn/Mulder
Markram
Bavuma
Faf
Amla
QdK

Maximize each of the resources.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Think they kinda know that.... wonder what Mulders chances to play this summer would have been if he had not got injured. Probably pretty good. Olivier may not have got his shot then.... small margins and all that.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Holy **** Saffas dropping tests at home yet again. SL deserve this big time.

I also didn't realize Amla's average has dropped significantly :mellow:

Heboric

International Debutant
Holy **** Saffas dropping tests at home yet again. SL deserve this big time.

I also didn't realize Amla's average has dropped significantly :mellow:
So we have, Is South Africa not allowed to lose games at home ?

Arent we allowed to join the club

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still can't really comprehend it. SA did most things right, except for choking at the end of course. It was simply brilliantly fearless. He bopped Steyn over long on for six FFS and pulled Rabada out of the ground. Daaaaaaaaaaaamn. It's not as if SA just let runs leak. He just pushed them back and cornered them with one wicked to go. The improbability of it may have contributed to the YOLO style batting towards the end but it paid off. Innings of the decade?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still can't really comprehend it. SA did most things right, except for choking at the end of course. It was simply brilliantly fearless. He bopped Steyn over long on for six FFS and pulled Rabada out of the ground. Daaaaaaaaaaaamn. It's not as if SA just let runs leak. He just pushed them back and cornered them with one wicked to go. The improbability of it may have contributed to the YOLO style batting towards the end but it paid off. Innings of the decade?
Has to be. It's at least as good as Lara's innings in 99 and that is a Top 5 of all-time.

Heboric

International Debutant
It happens in sport , people are trying to over analyze to the wazoo

THere are many instances of crazy sports results in different sporting codes

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
I am sure they were gutted to lose but they showed true sportsmanship in terms of congratulating the opposition.. that's what makes them gain respect around the world..
As a Protea supporter one just has to tip ones hat to Sri Lanka on their wonderful performance. It can happen.