• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of Australia 2019

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well he went from being the best spinner in sydney to the best spinner in NZ, but incorrectly being judged as the 3rd best spinner

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
The Saker resignation apparently over Starc seeking assistance elsewhere is quite a fascinating one.

Presumably for the entire period Saker has been in the role, Starc has been coached to bowl as a swing bowler in the belief that he can replicate his white ball success. But as I've observed previously, Starc has never been a particularly good new ball Test bowler even when in top form.

And it seemed that after a poor summer, for the final Test Starc decided to seek advice elsewhere from Andre Adams and in Canberra largely eschewed swing bowling to concentrate on utilising his pure pace to intimidate (which has been strong all summer).

Sure, the SL batting was pitifully weak but he'd even struggled against them in Brisbane (a faster track than Canverra) trying to bowl as a swing bowler. With pressure on his position, he changed his mindset and the results were instant.

A lot of similarities with Mitchell Johnson, whose career stagnated for years as he tried to be a Test swing bowler. When he concentrates on pure pace and intimidation in the 2013/14 season, the results were remarkable.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Saker resignation apparently over Starc seeking assistance elsewhere is quite a fascinating one.

Presumably for the entire period Saker has been in the role, Starc has been coached to bowl as a swing bowler in the belief that he can replicate his white ball success. But as I've observed previously, Starc has never been a particularly good new ball Test bowler even when in top form.

And it seemed that after a poor summer, for the final Test Starc decided to seek advice elsewhere from Andre Adams and in Canberra largely eschewed swing bowling to concentrate on utilising his pure pace to intimidate (which has been strong all summer).

Sure, the SL batting was pitifully weak but he'd even struggled against them in Brisbane (a faster track than Canverra) trying to bowl as a swing bowler. With pressure on his position, he changed his mindset and the results were instant.

A lot of similarities with Mitchell Johnson, whose career stagnated for years as he tried to be a Test swing bowler. When he concentrates on pure pace and intimidation in the 2013/14 season, the results were remarkable.
Hope it works out. Would love to see some tearaway spells from him. Hopefully he is able to retain his white ball skills.

Flem274*

123/5
He went from being the third-best spinner in Sydney to the third best spinner in NZ. Ranking #3 in 4.5 million to ranking #3 in 4.5 million.

Not at all surprising imo :ph34r:
5th i think. before pakistan pretty sure selectors went santa > sodhi > tastle > ajaz > somerville

whether you agree with them is open to debate

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I would have Somers Somerville at least 2nd or 3rd on that list on bowling. Sodhi is more a white ball bowler, Astle is nothing special and I could even argue he is a better pure spin bowler than Santner too

Flem274*

123/5
i don't really rate any of our spinners tbh.

santner, ajaz and somerville are accurate so are great insurance against asian turning decks (like we'll see in sl), somerville and santner are tall enough to get bounce at home and in oz, i don't rate sodhi in red ball cricket at all and tastle is far better than all except ajaz in our shield but has played just 2 tests. i suspect he's better than sodhi at getting wickets but more loose than the finger spinners.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
i don't really rate any of our spinners tbh.

santner, ajaz and somerville are accurate so are great insurance against asian turning decks (like we'll see in sl), somerville and santner are tall enough to get bounce at home and in oz, i don't rate sodhi in red ball cricket at all and tastle is far better than all except ajaz in our shield but has played just 2 tests. i suspect he's better than sodhi at getting wickets but more loose than the finger spinners.
wrt Ish, I think people still view him the same as they did in 2013. He's now averaging <30 for ND, and the last time he averaged >32 in a NZ home season was 2014/15. He's a properly decent red ball domestic leggie.

The challenge with him is applying it to the level above. Would like to seem him get another reasonable stint of Tests tbh (and for KW to actually bowl him).