• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka and Pakistan in UAE 2017

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Congratulations to Pakistan on a deserved series win..goes without saying that we weren't even in the contest..I really don't know where we go from here, gut instinct is have a clear out and get in youngsters from the A team..we might be bundled out for 100 but at least we can invest in the future a bit..
Very impressed with inzi's nephew..he looks like he is going places in terms of world cricket and also impressed with Hassan Ali( although his wicket celebration does annoy me a bit tbh)- he looks to be a real performer.well done to Pakistan on unearthing talent like these and giving them a chance..

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Well, SL won the test series 2-0 and they should be pretty happy about that. These JAMODI series' will come and go but i think if I ul Haq is the real deal then Pakistan's LO team is shaping up nicely.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Thirimanne and Kapugedara are afforded so many chances hopefully Mendis is too. He does need to buck up though because it shouldn't be a case of him holding onto a position in this line-up.

Dhananjaya da Silva is one that got thrown to the keep far to quick especially for those 2 I mentioned above.
I agree, he deserves another series

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm more disappointed about how SL handled Ajantha Mendis. They got rid of him because he was 'found out'. But I'm not sure which current SL bowler hasn't been found out. He'll still do better than the likes of Vandersay.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm more disappointed about how SL handled Ajantha Mendis. They got rid of him because he was 'found out'. But I'm not sure which current SL bowler hasn't been found out. He'll still do better than the likes of Vandersay.
They definitely binned him way too early in ODIs. He was done in tests, but his style of bowling was still a threat in the shorter forms.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Mendis wasn't given a decent chance but Vandersay can bat and field also so I would pick him over Mendis tbh..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mendis actually has a better batting record than Vandersay at pretty much every level and format of cricket. Vandersay looks more technically sound but his batting seems like a bit of a myth to me.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Really? I am surprised by that tbh?I stand corrected then..I never felt like he was someone who could score runs..then again he could probably open for us now lol

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Mendis wasn't given a decent chance but Vandersay can bat and field also so I would pick him over Mendis tbh..
Here's List A record of the 2 bowlers in question:

Vandersay 25 wickets in 23 matches, Avg 32, ER 5
Mendis 283 wickets in 154 matches, Avg 19, ER 4.5

Does Vandersay make up for the difference in batting and fielding? Not even close, he needed to be a batsman like Hardik Pandya for that.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Yeah but he has only played 23 games according to your figures and that's the beauty of stats.You can't compare the status of someone who has played so many fewer games.

He will learn as he plays more and his figures( and skills) will improve. I certainly see him as one for the future along with Akila..

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Even after bowling a whole 3 overs in the last 18 months?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Even after bowling a whole 3 overs in the last 18 months?
no tbh - but selectors and captains should take the blame for this situation

He needed a captain like Ranatunga, Ganguly or even Azharuddin who knew how to handle promising spinners even if they don't offer any other cricketing skill and are not known for handling pressure either

Even in his last ODI series, Mendis was SL's best bowler except in the last match where he couldn't grip the ball due to wet outfield. Selectors were basically waiting for such a single failure from him. It was the 'O he has failed in test matches, let us wait for a single ODI failure so that we can show he has been found out and bin him' mindset. Pathetic.

Himannv

International Coach
I'm frankly surprised by the amount of support Mendis seems to have. He was quite ordinary once the novelty factor wore off IMO.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, winning the Test series already makes this a successful tour for Sri Lanka, but they shouldn't be this abject in ODIs.