• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa Tour of Sri Lanka 2018

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Very interested to see how Markram goes here. Probably his first big test against spin. Could be a turning point for QdK's career too if he does well.
QDK's return to form is really key for the future of SA, Klaasens could put lots of pressure on him, if he gets a chance and does well. Markram is class, for him any struggles against spin is just a learning curve for later.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think that would be a good idea. SA have the bowlers with pace and reverse to take wickets. Better to go with dustbowls.

Not that I really give SL much chance regardless mind you. Would be good if they could pull off a miracle.
That was the same thing told before Aussies were brutally condemned to 3-0.

Bolo

State Captain
Preparing dust bowls is playing into hands of SAF. It will narrow the gap between spinners of two sides. Slowish flat tracks will negate SAF quicks, and only best of spinners will be able to take advantage of what ever spin available. Just like SAF dishing out fastish flat tracks in SAF, where Steyn and co can extract life out, but others cannot.
Lanka will play more spinners and will have an advantage regardless of the track. Going dustbowl may narrow the distance between the spinners but it will narrow the distance between the bowlers overall as well. Steyn at least doesn't care about the pitch. Rabada and ngidi to be seen still.

Main advantage is arguably in the batting. On a flat track RSA are a strong unit. On a dustbowl they are weak. Lankan quality doesn't depend much on track type.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think that would be a good idea. SA have the bowlers with pace and reverse to take wickets. Better to go with dustbowls.

Not that I really give SL much chance regardless mind you. Would be good if they could pull off a miracle.
SL are always dangerous at home, especially if phatty is on song

Bahseph

State Captain
I know Maharaj hasn't played in the subcontinent yet but just by the type of bowler he is it's a massive step up to have him in the team rather than a Tahir or Harris. Like von Berg but surely Shamsi gets the nod if it is two spinners.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Lanka will play more spinners and will have an advantage regardless of the track. Going dustbowl may narrow the distance between the spinners but it will narrow the distance between the bowlers overall as well. Steyn at least doesn't care about the pitch. Rabada and ngidi to be seen still.

Main advantage is arguably in the batting. On a flat track RSA are a strong unit. On a dustbowl they are weak. Lankan quality doesn't depend much on track type.
If the full SL batting line up is available, I don't think SL batting line up is far superior than SAF one on a slow flat track, because that is what they play on most of the time. Fast bowlers have to pitch it up and most of SL players are very strong on front foot other than for Chandimal.

Bolo

State Captain
If the full SL batting line up is available, I don't think SL batting line up is far superior than SAF one on a slow flat track, because that is what they play on most of the time. Fast bowlers have to pitch it up and most of SL players are very strong on front foot other than for Chandimal.
RSA is a fairly strong lineup in any conditions except spin friendly, where they are weak. I can't comment on Sri Lanka- maybe the same problem exists.

Pitching it up isn't too much of a problem for RSA. Steyn is very full by nature, Philander is pretty full, and while rabada tends to bowl a lot back of a length, he doesn't have an issue varying length.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Mind you Starcey did well in 2016 tour of Sri Lanka.

In a series that was dominated by SL spinners

So if Rabad and Ngidi has the quality in them, don't see any difficulty for them in getting their wickets.

Interesting to see if Philander gets a chance.

Ideally SA would have wanted a game in Pallekale that assists the pacers most.

Rabada hasn't played in SL at all

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Mind you Starcey did well in 2016 tour of Sri Lanka.

In a series that was dominated by SL spinners

So if Rabad and Ngidi has the quality in them, don't see any difficulty for them in getting their wickets.

Interesting to see if Philander gets a chance.

Ideally SA would have wanted a game in Pallekale that assists the pacers most.

Rabada hasn't played in SL at all
Why the hell would you drop Philander?

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
I was of the opinion Rabada and Steyn are the first choice options.

Philander didn't do all that well in 2014.

Rabada, and Steyn with their extra yard in pace should come in handy in SL.

Swing bowlers have rarely succeeded in Galle and SSC.

Philander could have been handy in Pallekale though.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I was of the opinion Rabada and Steyn are the first choice options.

Philander didn't do all that well in 2014.

Rabada, and Steyn with their extra yard in pace should come in handy in SL.

Swing bowlers have rarely succeeded in Galle and SSC.

Philander could have been handy in Pallekale though.
More likely we have Philander at 7 if we go 2 spinners.

Elgar, Markram, Amla, Faf, Bavuma, QDK, Philander, Maharaj, Rabada, Steyn, von Berg/Shamsi (Shamsi probably first choice, but von Berg can bat)

Else we will go 1 spinner, extra bat and use Elgar/Markram as 2nd spinner. Not a fan of that though.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
SA basically won the 2014 Galle test on the back of winning a good toss and then making use of reverse swing later, they were pretty lucky to get away with a draw on a flat deck at the SSC in the 2nd test. The whole series pretty much hinges on how much penetration the SL spinners can achieve, wouldn't be surprised to see us go in with all three spinners and have Dilruwan bat at 7

Bolo

State Captain
More likely we have Philander at 7 if we go 2 spinners.

Elgar, Markram, Amla, Faf, Bavuma, QDK, Philander, Maharaj, Rabada, Steyn, von Berg/Shamsi (Shamsi probably first choice, but von Berg can bat)

Else we will go 1 spinner, extra bat and use Elgar/Markram as 2nd spinner. Not a fan of that though.
Dropping any of the the three quicks for an untested spinner would be risky.

I'm not sure how to assess 2nd spinner vs bat. On a proper dustbowl you need both badly. On one of the more typical pitches that start off very flat and turn a lot by the end maybe the second spinner would make more sense.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn's managed to bowl a lot of overs in County cricket without breaking down. Hope this is a sign that his injury troubles are gone atleast for now. Not being able to see him and Rabada bowl together in the last couple of years has been tragic.

Marius

International Debutant
I reckon if we have Vern as high as seven we might play Von Berg. That said, you should pick your bowlers on their bowling, not how well they bat.

But I'd like to see him get a go.

So, side for the first Test will probably look something like:

Markram
Elgar
Amla
Bavuma
Du Plessis
De Kock
Philander
Von Berg
Maharaj
Rabada
Steyn

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I reckon if we have Vern as high as seven we might play Von Berg. That said, you should pick your bowlers on their bowling, not how well they bat.

But I'd like to see him get a go.

So, side for the first Test will probably look something like:

Markram
Elgar
Amla
Bavuma
Du Plessis
De Kock
Philander
Von Berg
Maharaj
Rabada
Steyn
That is a looooong tail with Philander at 7, de Kock at 6 and Bavuma at 4.