• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Sri Lanka

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Seems like Ntini’s injury is hamstring related, so the chances of him coming back tomorrow are near zero. Hard to believe that South Africa will get the remaining wickets without Makhaya though the new ball is available after eight overs tomorrow, so you never know. Fantastic knock by Mahela however, leading by example. To what would be a great victory.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
TT Boy said:
"It was a completely insensitive thing to say and obviously never supposed to be heard over the air". And that makes it ok? dip****.

Not really, but I really say a lot of **** to my friends that I wouldn't really want anyone else hearing. Its all in good fun between us, because we know the context, but other people may not understand. I believe him, and in any case, I hope he resumes his commentary.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Not really, but I really say a lot of **** to my friends that I wouldn't really want anyone else hearing. Its all in good fun between us, because we know the context, but other people may not understand. I believe him, and in any case, I hope he resumes his commentary.
For sure, we all say stupid things with are mates and what have you but he was still operating in a working environment. Also the terrorist comment is a little bit too topical/relevant if you ask me for Jones to have any sort of excuse.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
TT Boy said:
For sure, we all say stupid things with are mates and what have you but he was still operating in a working environment. Also the terrorist comment is a little bit too topical/relevant if you ask me for Jones to have any sort of excuse.

Yea, well he apologized and it seems sincere enough. I don't think he really meant much harm by it, so I don't see it as a big deal, as long as it isn't repeated.

Lostman

State Captain
so thats why he was not commentating during the last 2 days, neil manthrop took his place. The rest of the commentators were saying that he was not available because he had a stomach ailment and he was in his hotel room. The producers could have made it interesting by making the rest of them draw teh short straw to tell us what had happened to him.

dinu23

International Debutant
it's going to be an exciting day today. can Mahela take SL home or will Boje and Co. finish of the tail!

JBH001

International Regular
a massive zebra said:
This is simply not true and easily disproven by facts. Murali has been humiliated far less often than Warne...

Warne
45 7 150 1 3.33 3rd Test v Ind in Aus 1991/92 at Sydney
22 2 107 0 4.86 1st Test v SL in SL 1992 at Colombo (SSC)
30 2 104 3 3.47 3rd Test v Pak in Pak 1994/95 at Lahore
30 7 122 1 4.07 1st Test v Ind in Ind 1997/98 at Chennai
42 4 147 0 3.50 2nd Test v Ind in Ind 1997/98 at Kolkata
15.5 2 70 1 4.42 3rd Test v WI in WI 1998/99 at Bridgetown
13 1 60 0 4.62 3rd Test v Ind in Aus 1999/00 at Sydney
34 3 152 1 4.47 2nd Test v Ind in Ind 2000/01 at Kolkata
42 7 140 2 3.33 3rd Test v Ind in Ind 2000/01 at Chennai
30 6 108 2 3.60 3rd Test v SA in SA 2001/02 at Durban
38 7 129 3 3.39 2nd Test v SL in Aus 2004 at Cairns
32 4 115 2 3.59 1st Test v Ind in Ind 2004/2005 at Nagpur
24 4 84 1 3.50 3rd Test v Pak in Aus 2004/05 at Sydney
19.2 2 77 1 3.98 3rd Test v WI in Aus 2005/06 at Adelaide
20 1 112 0 5.60 1st Test v BD in BD 2005/06 at Fatullah

Murali
36 6 123 1 3.42 1st Test v Pak in SL 1994 at Colombo
20 2 83 2 4.15 2nd Test v Pak in Pak 1995/96 at Faisalabad
54 3 224 2 4.15 1st Test v Aus in Aus 1995/96 at Perth
33 6 136 0 4.12 1st Test v NZ in NZ 1996/97 at Dunedin
25 2 96 2 3.84 2nd Test v Ind in SL 2001 at Kandy
30 3 102 2 3.40 Only Test v Aus in Aus 2005/06 at Sydney
36 4 128 3 3.56 3rd Test v Ind in Ind 2005/06 at Ahmedabad

and has a good record against all teams whereas Warne has failed dismally against India (43 wickets at 47.18).
Humiliation is an extreme word AMZ. After all the economy rates are - more less - consistent for both of them around 3.50 - 4.50 per over. And I have seen your figures and read your arguments before.

(And let's not get into it again, here)

But I should clarify what I mean - it is not a mere matter of statistics.
It is that, anecdotally speaking, I have seen Murali often go on the defensive when a batsman or batting side come after him. He tends to too easily retreat and go into a holding role where he is content to give the batsman his due while posting men back and concentrating on conceding as little as possible. A case in point was when Lara had the measure of him and more when WI toured Sri Lanka in 2002 - I think. Murali was reduced to and quite content to put a man back at long off and give Lara the single whilst he went about attacking other WI batsman. It is the same when he faces Stephen Fleming - he simply has no answer to him and looks like he does not either.

It is something I rarely, if ever, see Warne doing. Warne may be getting dominated but he does not fold back into his shell - instead he usually tries to attack and constantly tries to implement other plans to win the contest with the batsman, even if at times it does not work and he continues to come off second best.

This is what I meant by mental resilience and toughness under pressure.

Of course it may be said that Murali has to be strike and stock bowler, and therefore when batsman come at him and get a hold of him he has to relinquish his strike role and adopt a defensive stock role in the service of his team. There is some truth in this - but I believe that there is the other aspect as well, where he does retreat too easily when under the cosh unlike Warne who is usually in the contest come what may. Though again, where Warne is concerned he has the luxury of a stellar supporting cast and is not burdened with having to carry his team in almost each and every test.

There is the other point regarding cricketing nous as well. Warne has a better cricket brain. Even if his physical gifts do not get a batsman out Warne seems able to think of a plan on the field and implement it successfully. Murali however, when his repertoire of gifts and abilities is found lacking (as they sometimes are) is usually found lacking and is reduced to just bowling in hope and looking distinctly ordinary. Though as his range of abilities are arguably greater than Warne's this rarely happens.

Let me be clear here. I admire and respect Murali enormously, more than Warne, and furthermore - as a Sri Lankan by birth and a Tamil too, I have a lot of time for Murali. More time than I will ever have for Warne. However as much as I respect and admire Murali, for the reasons above and from my personal impressions gained whilst watching them both wheeling away, I believe Warne to just shade Murali when it comes to bowling.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
If Sri Lanka can pull this off it is going to be a great achievement - possibly one of the greatest in their test cricketing history.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
At 6/333 with just 19 runs needed SL seem to be doing well, but it needs only 1or 2 wickets to turn the tables. Surprised they went for lunch instead of taking the extra half hour allowed .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Lostman said:
this reminds me of the SL v AUS test in kandy a few years ago. One of the best test matches iv seen. SL began the last day needing 50 odd with 3 wickets in hand, symonds dropped vaas early on, but warne got him later, SL lost by 20 something runs. Coincidently the target Aus set SL was 352
I was there watching the game at the ground , and let me tell you it was disappointing to say the least !!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie said:
nice test match in the making, Jayawardene M is in the form of his life.
A certain South African fan on this forum would still contend that he was the most mediocre batsman ever to score so many runs and help his Team win Tests !!:dry: :laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Yea, well he apologized and it seems sincere enough. I don't think he really meant much harm by it, so I don't see it as a big deal, as long as it isn't repeated.
I agree it seems a bit over the top for Ten Sports to sack him. They could've reprimanded him and he would've given an apology.

Deano is a nice guy and no malice at heart . Am sorry about the whole saga.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SA still in this - Mahela out 7/341 - 11 runs still needed - a dramatic finish on the cards.