• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Sri Lanka

dinu23

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
But that can be more than partially tempered by him bowling pretty much half the overs.

In this current game he bowled 33.5 out of the 89.5 overs in the first innings, and 46.5 out of the 107.5 overs in the second innings.

That means that in each innings he bowled for all but 10 overs from one end.

That is one thing Warne hasn't had to do (except for last summer and we all saw how many wickets he got when he did that)
well then Warne should do that more often.

dinu23

International Debutant
Craig said:
How well did Dale Steyn bowl? Excluding that he took five wickets, because I know and see that, did he look pretty impressive with the ball or did the Sri Lankans get themselves out with poor shot selections?
he bowled some fantasic balls at times, but when he gets it wrong he gets them wrong big time.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Jayawardene X 2 at the crease now, so it shouldn't be that bad, altho Boje seems to be turning the ball.. comon saffies to win here..

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SL in a decent position to bring home a win tomorrow, but it'll be close. Carn Lankans!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
dinu23 said:
well then Warne should do that more often.

Thats a bit unfair. Australia have been winners for the vast majority of Warnes' career. That means he has had world class bowling support, including one of the best ever in McGrath. So there has been no need for Warne to come on early.

Murali has been part of a losing team where he has been by far the best performer on the field, and thus has had to carry a much heavier load. That does not mean that Warne could not have carried that load if he had to, and in the few times where has had to, he has done well. I mean, you can argue that Warne is not even the best bowler on his team. You can't say that about Murali.

In any case, I still rate them as about equal.

Lostman

State Captain
this reminds me of the SL v AUS test in kandy a few years ago. One of the best test matches iv seen. SL began the last day needing 50 odd with 3 wickets in hand, symonds dropped vaas early on, but warne got him later, SL lost by 20 something runs. Coincidently the target Aus set SL was 352

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Muttiah Muralitharan, after a fantastic display in the second Test against South Africa in Colombo, managed four consecutive ten-wicket hauls for the second time in his career. No other bowler has done it even once. Is he the greatest spinner of all time?

Thats a nice article at cricinfo.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is turning out to be a cracker. Pity Aus are showing Eng/Pak instead. Jayawardene has done brilliantly as captain, hopefully he can take them home.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
true, but if Murali was from SA I don't think he'd be so admired
That's right !! Because If Murali was from SA, he would be playing for England.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
This is simply not true and easily disproven by facts. Murali has been humiliated far less often than Warne...

Warne
42 7 140 2 3.33 3rd Test v Ind in Ind 2000/01 at Chennai
30 6 108 2 3.60 3rd Test v SA in SA 2001/02 at Durban
38 7 129 3 3.39 2nd Test v SL in Aus 2004 at Cairns
32 4 115 2 3.59 1st Test v Ind in Ind 2004/2005 at Nagpur
24 4 84 1 3.50 3rd Test v Pak in Aus 2004/05 at Sydney
19.2 2 77 1 3.98 3rd Test v WI in Aus 2005/06 at Adelaide
I dont on what basis do you categorise bowling performances has been humiliated by opposition batsmen, but based on memory of these specific matches, even though Warne's figures may be expensive he certainly wasn't humilated.

Warne's humiliating bowling performances for as long as i've been watching cricket, would be some of analysis in India over the years, especially at Kolkatta..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
But that can be more than partially tempered by him bowling pretty much half the overs.

In this current game he bowled 33.5 out of the 89.5 overs in the first innings, and 46.5 out of the 107.5 overs in the second innings.

That means that in each innings he bowled for all but 10 overs from one end.

That is one thing Warne hasn't had to do (except for last summer and we all saw how many wickets he got when he did that)
yea thats true, thats why arguing about these two is such a headache.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
This is simply not true and easily disproven by facts. Murali has been humiliated far less often than Warne...
What criteria did you use for that list because it doesn't appear that its been consistent...