• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Sri Lanka (Twenty20 and ODI)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
J. Malan must be pushing Rassie for the amount of runs scored at beginning of career in ODIs. I did not expect him to cntinue to perform like this. Shows his FC runs where no fluke.

On a side not J. Malan is also older than I remember but I`m starting to realize that is a side effect of the last 2 years.

slippy888

International Captain
Sri lanka spinners where terrible after raffie got out, bowling easy balls for malan and klassen to pull and sweep, i never ever see them play through the covers

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone who saw malan's second international game ton vs australia new he was going to be class, little bit touchy vs spin, but my god is he good against pace. Made playing starc and cummins on a bouncy SA pitch look like he was playing second's.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, while im here, can anyone explain why A) Malan has never been around the test squad, 11 first class tons at 48 with a better then 100% conversion rate is really good, also, whats the deal with miguel pretorious, saw him in the cpl and looks a real talent.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
What does the recent success of Malan and makram up the top mean for SA in odi's. QDK and bavuma both need to slot back in somehow.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Also, while im here, can anyone explain why A) Malan has never been around the test squad, 11 first class tons at 48 with a better then 100% conversion rate is really good,
South African domestic stats can be a little tricky to assess because they include the level below franchise cricket as well. I don't know what Malan's stats look like when you only consider franchise cricket, but it's possible that they're not quite so impressive.

There also has been something of a tendency in recent years to favour older players for tests rather than blood younger ones on the grounds that their first class experience will count for something e.g. Rassie van der Dussen, Beuran Hendricks, and Dwaine Pretorius. As a result of that, the openers who have made it into the test squad have been Pieter Malan and Sarel Erwee, but Janneman would certainly be a more forward looking selection.

also, whats the deal with miguel pretorious, saw him in the cpl and looks a real talent.
He played for South Africa A in their most recent series and has been part of extended squads, so he's definitely on the selectors' radar but hasn't yet managed to break through into a starting XI.

What does the recent success of Malan and makram up the top mean for SA in odi's. QDK and bavuma both need to slot back in somehow.
It's a tricky one. Malan is averaging over 100, which means that his place is secure for a while. Markram is still a bit inconsistent, so he's probably the one who will make way for De Kock (with Bavuma replacing Hendricks).

He is a handy part time spinner though, which you don't necessarily want to lose, and one possibility would be to drop him down the order to 5. If memory serves he has had success there domestically even though that's not his normal position, and the middle order has been a bit of a problem area for South Africa, so maybe that's something worth considering.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
It's sad how Phehlukwayo's career has progressed. Keeping him in the side is doing more harm than good. It also doesn't help that he's being played at 7 and he not that.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What strange world cricket is with SL batsmen struggling against the good quality of SA three spinners...

Dendarii

International Debutant
What strange world cricket is with SL batsmen struggling against the good quality of SA three spinners...
When you add in Fortuin, who's done decently in the T20s he's played, South Africa's spin bowling stocks are looking pretty good at the moment.

Bahseph

State Captain
SA Definitely need to make Linde a feature of the LO teams,irrespective of conditions imo. Any other 7/8s out there that can blast us a 30(15)?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA Definitely need to make Linde a feature of the LO teams,irrespective of conditions imo. Any other 7/8s out there that can blast us a 30(15)?
I think we should play all 3 spinners in the LO format. Play Rabada and one of Ngidi/Nortje and if we play Mulder that’s 3 seamers.

Bahseph

State Captain
The batting was terrible and I don't mean to single out any player individually but I don't like the idea of Reeza Hendricks as our back up batsman even if Miller and QDK are out. We know where his ceiling is and these two matches showed it. He can get you a fifty,and then probably a string of low scores. I know Verreyne has looked a little suspect to spin but he has more upside.

Also,Mulder doesn't have a great LO record with the bat. Imo he has more classical skills with the ball than Andile,hence he is a better Test match bowler,but why are we advocating for him in the LO team? Potential I'd assume. There is no question he is a better batsman than Andile but he hasn't shown it yet.

The bowling is fine. KG,Ngidi and Nortje are good LO bowlers and in Shamsi,Keshav and Linde the spin bowling stocks are good. I for one have always been an advocate for Keshav across all formats. Just a good bowler.

Andile hasn't kicked on at all and it's disappointing.