• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand

Kent

State 12th Man
Apparently there are people calling for Papps' head already!

My worry is that he'll keep hitting the ring fields or nicking out, potentially stuffing up the career of a more promising test opener.

Lou Vincent could end up partnering Richardson next month after all.

I hate being so picky after a great win, but I don't like the idea of McCullum up the order. Even as a pinch hitter, which Bracewell surprisingly said wasn't his role.

People called him the best teenage batsman since, but the next Martin Crowe he certainly isn't. Everything starting from his grip screams lower order IMO.

He's one of the best runners of two's to long on/off I've ever seen, so it may pay to bring him in when there are actually fielders in those positions.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't believe people are already wanting a new opener, do some of these idiots who ring up on talkback think NZ has an endless production line?

I would like to think that Papps will at least get one good score in this series though.

Kent

State 12th Man
Tim said:
I can't believe people are already wanting a new opener, do some of these idiots who ring up on talkback think NZ has an endless production line?

I would like to think that Papps will at least get one good score in this series though.
Some people seem to think Ross Taylor is the next Bradman!
These nice puff pieces on TV and the newspapers really have a lot more influence than they should.

I think the thing in Papps' favour is that, respect for their records aside, the SA attack isn't really bringing anything new to NZ soil. Pollock and Nel wouldn't look instantly out of place in State Sheild uniforms, so I'd hope it's only a matter of time.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't see much point going back to Vincent for the test series. He's had very little match play recently while Papps has been facing the South African bowlers in the ODI's. It's common sense surely that the selectors pick Papps for the tests aswell even if he finishes the ODI series disappointingly.

So far i've seen nothing much to suggest that Papps is out of his depth at this stage.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The NZ 'A' team must be named in the next 2 weeks or so. It'll be interesting to see who NZ pick as the 2 openers.

Presuming Papps is playing in the tests that probably leaves: McIntosh, Cumming, Vincent, How & Jones.

Now Cumming has immediately shown in the 4 dayers that he is a totally different batsman...after having a horrendous State Shield campaign he's quickly bounced back with just over 100 runs in 2 innings against Auckland.

McIntosh really has lost all form after starting the season well, although I expect that he will be 1 of the openers for the series.
Vincent hasn't played much, but if he's 100% it's likely that the selectors will throw him somewhere into the mix.

Jamie How seems to be inconsistent also but i think you'll find that the better the pitch, the better he becomes also. I think he's built well, and plays all around the wicket..i'd have him in there with McIntosh personally.

Richard Jones seems to be losing popularity with the selectors as the season goes on, it'll be interesting to see if he makes the 'A' team & where he bats.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think we're going to get any play in Wellington this weekend, so that means the series will be shortened to 5 matches.

NZ's record at Dunedin & McLean Park is very good so 2 wins there will win them the series.

cbuts

International Debutant
they are thinknig theyll get a 50 over game! which is great, as im going. it will probally be a terriable pitch but trevor jackson should get groundsman of the year. to get a game is unbelivable with the weather down here. NZC should be commended for waht they have done for the floods. donating 5 bucks from each ticket untop of 10,000. and also have given 1,000 free tickets to people who helped out during the floods. great to see the players helping people remove funiture. they did this by their own choice, got permision to do this instead of gym work. also the SA players are donating signed bats and shirts to be auctioned off and proceeds given to the mayoral relief fund.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
What's the weather like down in Wellington at the moment?

I think whoever wins the toss will most definately bowl first.

stevo22

Cricket Spectator
Cumming got 10 games to prove himself so you'd think Papps would get at least the whole of the SA series.

That would be the fairest way to go anyway. It's a waste of time chopping and changing just because someone doesnt hit big runs straight off. Having earned the chance, they deserve a decent shot at it.

Generally i find that people that ring radio phone in shows couldn't beat papps' scores in an IQ test, as informed cricketing comment goes

LOL

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The selectors got it wrong with Cumming though. He's proven to be a good opener in the 4 dayers & I think he should at least get a chance against Sri Lanka 'A' in the tests to see if he's any better.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
stevo22 said:
Generally i find that people that ring radio phone in shows couldn't beat papps' scores in an IQ test, as informed cricketing comment goes
:lol:

That's one of the better one's I've heard.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I know its been an awful preparation but the ground looks a disgrace. Line markings from the rugby sevens & markings from the David Bowie concert have really ruined it.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It looks like we're going to get either a 30 or 35 over game.

It's good that we're actually going to get some cricket, because I thought there was no chance.

Craig

World Traveller
Why dont they play at Basin Reserve and let them do their rugby, concerts etc on the Caketin?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
To be honest I don't really know.

It seems as though they want to play all ODI's in Wellington at the caketin now.

NZ off to a good start, 41/0 after 8 overs.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Pollock has been brilliant so far, it's a shame the other bowlers haven't followed his lead.

Kimbo

International Debutant
The pitch isn't playing too badly at all considering the weather. Should be a good contest... unless it rips up later on.

Papps going very well, looking comfortable with the pitch not having a lot of bounce. Cairns also playing in a Cairns like manner.

how about Morkel's front arm... wierd!?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
170/5...NZ making a mess of things really.

a couple of quick wickets & now McMillan runs himself out.
they really should get at least 220 or they can consider their innings a failure after the start Fleming & Papps gave them.