• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I watched some of the SA vs India tests and thought Jansen looked an outstanding prospect. He seems to have lost a lot of energy (and pace) since that series, so I wonder if he is a bit out of sorts?
I mean he's a very young man, probably hasn't been through the rigours of a five day match before, and that cumulative fatigue will still be there. Also, it's a pretty quick turn around from the India series tbh. I would like to think he's a tad rusty and will work his way into the series, but obviously still has the skill to cause problems

My best guess

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wheel seems to run in perpetuity for Nicholls - score runs at home, fail away and in another home Test, then when his place is in danger gives up a chance that doesn’t get taken and goes on to make a big one. Doesn’t seem a healthy pattern but as long as the Top 3/4 are scoring runs, can generally afford that from a 5.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
South Africa bowling all over the place. They've consistently bowled short and wide to Henry and bowled too straight to Darryl. Don't mind that but this wasn't what I was expecting from world class bowling attack. They seem to have no control over line and length. Probably lack of practice due to MIQ

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Could push on for 400 here and a 300-run lead. Very dominant at the moment. Hopefully Nicholls can get a big hundred, but really want to see him getting big scores in England and Pakistan this year.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Say what you will about Nicholls, but most of his big scores have been against quality opposition in situations where the side needed him to score runs (barring maybe one against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh). His technique has flaws but he is one of the most mentally tough batsmen in the world.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wheel seems to run in perpetuity for Nicholls - score runs at home, fail away and in another home Test, then when his place is in danger gives up a chance that doesn’t get taken and goes on to make a big one. Doesn’t seem a healthy pattern but as long as the Top 3/4 are scoring runs, can generally afford that from a 5.
Yeah Nicholls is a "good" Test 5. Won't ever set the world on fire but not a name that disgraced the teamsheet

Athlai

Not Terrible
Say what you will about Nicholls, but most of his big scores have been against quality opposition in situations where the side needed him to score runs (barring maybe one against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh). His technique has flaws but he is one of the most mentally tough batsmen in the world.
They did show on a stat once that Nicholls is one of the best leavers of the ball in the game. I couldn't believe it

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The arm movement/release moment looks more unorthodox than Reid. I hadn't even thought about the lack of sprinting
Really? Jansen's a bit shuffley, something that used to be more common before big-jumping chest-on actions became common place. His arm action is more constrained than Reid's but nothing unusual about it. And looks less back-breaking than Reid's.

Flem274*

123/5
They did show on a stat once that Nicholls is one of the best leavers of the ball in the game. I couldn't believe it
Makes sense when they base it off average against a good length as they often do. Good length channel isn't in his playing zones because he always looks for the backfoot and/or legside.

Full and straight is the way to test him.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Nicholls currently has the 5th highest home average of all NZ batters with at least 500 runs in NZ (behind Williamson, Dempster, Taylor, and Ryder). (Over 50)

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This is how I've thought of Nicholls and what he offers to the side, but has fallen short of this level of toughness/stubbornness in the last few seasons imo. Failed in Oz, failed in India and at home v India, and has been hitting catches from that pull shot and when targeted on leg stump line.

I like the idea of a gritty left hander at five and Nicholls has been that at times, will be watching him on our next couple of overseas tours with interest.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Nicholls is our generations Andrew Jones. Not huge spades of talent but there's determination within limitation

Meridio

International Regular
He's been excellent today Nicholls. Should've been out yesterday and all but today he's played nearly perfectly. Maybe for future tests we get him to play a game the day before, get the obligatory drops out of the system and then he'll be good to go.