• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep. The CT is a worthy thing to set your plans around. Otherwise you just JAMODIing it for 3 and a half years.

But that is if things go smoothly, or relatively.

The CT is definitely NOT important enough that you spend half year, or longer, hanging on to people who need to be moved on. It's a relatively minor tournament.

This is all such a waste of time.
I agree it's something to set plans around, but not something to hold onto Luke Ronchi for. What's the odds we're sitting here next summer saying 'gee it'd be nice if we'd got a few more games into Blundell/whoever'. I'm all for Latham going, he did score runs against Bangladesh on Boxing Day so he's not hopeless (and is young, and if we get him up to speed it makes the balance of our side better). But Ronchi is trash and is holding someone up, for absolutely no reason. It's actually unfathomable that they keep going back to him. Some would kill for the sort of loyalty he's somehow earned.

Dunno as much about Brownlie/Worker, Brownlie has looked OK - just needs to mentally get his head around contributing more than 20-30. I was a fan of Worker having that spot, especially in the form he was in, and it may end up that Brownlie offers nothing else and it shouldve gone to George, but I'm OK with Dean being our CT opener.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Not quite but close : 1st Test: New Zealand v South Africa at Dunedin, Mar 7-11, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I just remember the wicket being really slow and there was some movement in the first innings but it was doing it slowly but I think both sides batted poorly in the first innings. As the game went on , the wicket just got too flat as there was no sideways movement or spin and an easy pace pitch with no real up-and-down bounce.

I heard Cumming talking about a new curator as well like you say and turning pitches ? If so I wouldn't mind that if they not going to leave grass on.
Mmm, funny how the memory works, swore we were more down than that. It was a slow, slow deck - guys really had to get themselves out (apart from Philander being at the top of his game).

Yeah, Uni Oval apparently did turn before Xmas I think it was. We very well may go down that route, not that Santner will become any more dangerous. All things considered we'd probably be happy to earn a draw and move on further in the series and hope to steal one somewhere.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hopefully the rain stays away unlike our last test in Dunedin (Saturday and Sunday look in for a bit of trouble) . It will help possibly for swing as well if it isn't too cold and wet.

But it does look a lovely little oval when the sun is out. In fact I love watching test cricket on these sorts of grounds in New Zealand.

Beautiful.

Most beautiful Test venue in the country :ph34r:

veganbob

U19 Captain
Really excited for the test series even though I feel we have very little chance of winning a test. Their batting and bowling is both a class apart from ours in test cricket.

Still, a lot of good battles ahead and I hope we play to our potential and also throw a few surprises up.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The problem is that Uni oval doesn't have particularly good drainage, and so a little bit of rain is enough to cause a significant delay - and there's more or less always a little bit of rain about in Dunedin. Still, forecast for the first 3 days looks good, so fingers crossed.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
And fingers crossed for a wicket that isn't just flat and slow - make the bowlers work hard yes, just not to the pancakey extent that some of the pitches there have in the last few years. It's going to be cold (15 or 16 degrees) and that often means it won't swing either.

If however the pitch turns, that could be quite exciting.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Huge test cricket fan. But not looking forward to this test series at all.

Expecting NZ to ***** out of the contest again with pitch preparation. SAF just too good at what we're also 'good' at.

Expecting 3 turgid test matches on slow, low, wrist slitting decks.

Tempted to turn sky sport off early, except the awesome bowler friendly IND v AUS test series is keeping me hanging on.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Oh come on, it's a three test home series against arguably the best side in the world - that's exciting right?!

Late season pitches can be pretty flat, but the Basin and Seddon Park often produce results and we don't know yet what we'll get at University Oval.

Get excited!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I remember the umpiring in that series being an issue. Feel kinda sorry for the umpire in retrospect. The bizarre calling back of Fleming showed he was really feeling the heat over the mistakes he'd made earlier in the match (and iirc, giving him out was probably the correct decision).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Huge test cricket fan. But not looking forward to this test series at all.

Expecting NZ to ***** out of the contest again with pitch preparation. SAF just too good at what we're also 'good' at.

Expecting 3 turgid test matches on slow, low, wrist slitting decks.

Tempted to turn sky sport off early, except the awesome bowler friendly IND v AUS test series is keeping me hanging on.
Jeez mate, you need a new hobby if you're down and out when the best side in the world (imo) are about the play a 3 test series.

I think we'll get beaten too, but hugely excited about the prospect.

Edit: What Straw said.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I remember the umpiring in that series being an issue. Feel kinda sorry for the umpire in retrospect. The bizarre calling back of Fleming showed he was really feeling the heat over the mistakes he'd made earlier in the match (and iirc, giving him out was probably the correct decision).
Remember that series well. Great piece by Alfred.

We've had some interesting moments as well like that series and Fleming v Smith.

Oh and who can forget Steven Jack :laugh: What a little rough diamond. One of those guys you loved on your side but hated to play against.
Heh, I was a kid then without pay TV so didn't see any more than highlights of the tour, though I remember the surprise first test win and that SA came back, and then the lengthy media handwringing over the pot-smoking incident.

I clearly remember Fanie De Villiers and Richard Snell and his amazing vertical leap from ODI series in NZ or Australia, but not Steven Jack. I'll look him up.

SeamUp

International Coach
Heh, I was a kid then without pay TV so didn't see any more than highlights of the tour, though I remember the surprise first test win and that SA came back, and then the lengthy media handwringing over the pot-smoking incident.

I clearly remember Fanie De Villiers and Richard Snell and his amazing vertical leap from ODI series in NZ or Australia, but not Steven Jack. I'll look him up.
I just seem to remember that Wanderers game the most and the controversy that came with it.

Snell and Jack formed a strong new ball attack for Transvaal despite both being Durban boys.

Haha yeah and that floppy hair of Snell. That side-ways leap was bizarre. I think that was the Benson Hedges Series. Was pretty young as well when that series was on. Used to have them on VCR tape. Loved him.

Understandable not many remember Jack outside of SA as he didn't play much international cricket. He was short and stocky but charged in and bowled quickly. At the Wanderers they used to say he chased throats of the batsman. He was a wild one and lets say Boucher often brings him up jokingly about not the ideal guy to come up against and have a few drinks with afterwards. Obviously going back to provincial days when he was a youngster at Border playing Gauteng/Transvaal.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The important question right now is do I stay up late tonight and watch the first session or do I go to be early and try watch the final session, and possibly half the 2nd session....

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doull was on the radio when I was driving to work this morning, speculating on the possibility that Southee might make way for Patel. But he said he doubted they'd have the courage, and I'm inclined to agree.