• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India, Sep/Oct 2019

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why isn't DK not getting an extended (he he) run?

He was the Nihadas Trophy hero, and we all know that:

Nihadas Trophy>>> World Cup

Spark

Global Moderator
We'll just have to see whether his action places too much stress on his body and he ends up having to modify it for biomechanical reasons to get everything lined up properly. It'd be far from the first time.

OverratedSanity

Umesh has been good for the most part when given the chance recently, especially at home. Don't think we'll miss bumrah massively this series, but yeah the concern obviously is in the long term :(

OverratedSanity

We'll just have to see whether his action places too much stress on his body and he ends up having to modify it for biomechanical reasons to get everything lined up properly. It'd be far from the first time.
The action is a huge part of why he's so difficult to face. If it does need some kind of change, it'll be a massive blow.

Spark

Global Moderator
The action is a huge part of why he's so difficult to face. If it does need some kind of change, it'll be a massive blow.
Eh, it might not be that dramatic. It might be a bunch of subtle technical changes to run-up and release to minimise counterrotation.

Mitch Johnson's - also a bowler with a horrible action to face and a history of back stress fractures when young - masterclass with Sky during the Lord's test was really informative on this:

I do also wonder if his short run-up has a bit to do with it as well. Anecodotal, but I'm never really surprised when blokes with short run-ups who really explode through the crease get injured a lot.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I do also wonder if his short run-up has a bit to do with it as well. Anecodotal, but I'm never really surprised when blokes with short run-ups who really explode through the crease get injured a lot.
There should be no doubt about it. That was always the most concerning thing about his action for me, even disregarding the other ungainly aspects. Someone like Shoaib, though injured seemingly every couple of weeks, lasted longer than he had any right to while still bowling obscene speeds. And he's said that his ultra long runup was why that might have been the case.

Bumrah bowls high 140s off like 8 paces with basically zero momentum. Not much historical precedence for a bowler having a long career doing that, is there?

SeamUp

International Coach
**** news re: Bumrah . Want to see out batsmen tested against the best.

The tour game starts tomorrow.

Was just looking at Vizag FC matches last season. It looks like it is filled with runs. Seamers contributed with it favouring the spinners (70-30) which is the norm really.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
Gutting news about Bumrah on numerous levels. Was really looking forward to seeing our batsmen face him.