• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I see that the Wallabies - ABs first game is on a Thursday night (15 Sept) at Docklands which seems really weird. Will that be due to weekend AFL usage?

ashley bach

International Captain
What do AB ans on here think it means for the coach when they inevitably retain the Bledisloe? Will it be enough to save his arse, or is it such a given these days that it won't stop him being sacked?
Objection your honour this is pure speculation from Burgey.
It's hard to believe it was 1986 when the Wallys last beat the All blacks at Eden park, and 1994 since their last defeat there.
But records are made to be broken, and this one is due. If the yellow men can't sense that this is the time to do it, then they're as blind as fish.
There's only going to be one team under severe pressure, and with everything to lose for the blacks, breaking this record is ripe for the picking.
Regardless whether the cup is retained or not, Foster is nothing but a walking skeleton because losing a test in NZ to Argentina to create history
was the last feather in the cap to paste in his ever growing curriculum vitae. The public pressure in NZ will be too much so reckon he's toast.
They'll probably bounce back and turn the tables on the Pumas this weekend, but so what, he simply isn't the man for the job ahead next year.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah **** it. If Aus wins the ARU sees it as vindication for the never looking west of ANZAC Parade/ at a public school for talent policy which has made the game here so terrible for so long.

“Ooooh I say, Jeremy Ponsonby-Button from Joeys looks the goods doesn’t he?” while some kid from Campbelltown High who runs rings around him on one leg never gets a look in.

It’s been that way forever here. Why I’ll always back the ABs against australia. They look beyond blokes born with a silver spoon up their arse

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Nah **** it. If Aus wins the ARU sees it as vindication for the never looking west of ANZAC Parade/ at a public school for talent policy which has made the game here so terrible for so long.

“Ooooh I say, Jeremy Ponsonby-Button from Joeys looks the goods doesn’t he?” while some kid from Campbelltown High who runs rings around him on one leg never gets a look in.

It’s been that way forever here. Why I’ll always back the ABs against australia. They look beyond blokes born with a silver spoon up their arse
Nah it hasn't. The Ella brothers were from matraville for example

Burgey

Which schools did they go to?

The point is Aus rugby has forever been the code for the toffee nosed spud who plays in a dinner suit. It's always been that way. The fact we had some great players come through from the late 80s to the very early 2000s is the equivalent of the WI having their dominant team in the 80s - it was an accident of history and not a reflection of some sort of amazing system and method of producing players. The game is really insular here, and it's a stupid way for them to go about it because it's probably the most competitive footballing market in the world in terms of trying to attract and develop players - there are four fully professional footy codes.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Which schools did they go to?

The point is Aus rugby has forever been the code for the toffee nosed spud who plays in a dinner suit. It's always been that way. The fact we had some great players come through from the late 80s to the very early 2000s is the equivalent of the WI having their dominant team in the 80s - it was an accident of history and not a reflection of some sort of amazing system and method of producing players. The game is really insular here, and it's a stupid way for them to go about it because it's probably the most competitive footballing market in the world in terms of trying to attract and develop players - there are four fully professional footy codes.
Matraville sports high

i don’t disagree with your point

It’s absurd but plenty of those guys from private schools are on sports scholarships though

Beale is from Bankstown

Burgey

Matraville sports high

i don’t disagree with your point

It’s absurd but plenty of those guys from private schools are on sports scholarships though

Beale is from Bankstown
I know where he's from but the problem with it imo is instead of casting the net far and wide, they bring a kid like Beale to a school like Joey's and the whole thing continues, rather than looking to grow the game to a wider group of people.

Rugby has so much going for it in terms of world wide competition and as a game. A good game of rugby is incredible to watch - imo if you put the best possible game of Rah Rah up against the best game of league, Rah Rah wins easily. There's just so little of it seen in & by the Aus set up is my beef with it.

Anyway, I've taken a shed load of space in here when pretty much everyone knows how/ why I feel about the game here anyway, so I should leave it at that rather than continuing down this track when there's so many proper fans of the game who post in here. Don't want to stink it up more than I already have*

*as opposed to cricket chat, which I reserve my right to continue to stink up ad infinitum.