• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 2 - India v Australia

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yusuf Pathan is due a big one. I would be shaking in my boots if I were the opposition.

Not really.

Dissector

International Debutant
The toss is going to be crucial. I would hate to be chasing anything more than 250 against Lee, Tait and Johnson in a knock-out game especially given the fragile Indian lower middle order. The latter is a big worry because it is the key in any tight chase and so far it has failed in strong positions without any pressure.

OTOH the bowling may finally have fallen in place with Ashwin in the side and Yuvraj bowling well. If Ashwin can open the bowling, India can save up some Zaheer overs like they did against the West Indies. If there is some turn, I could see Ashwin, Bhaji and Yuvraj executing a mid-innings spin choke in Sri Lankan style.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Australia are definitely favourites to win this (and I promise this isn't an anti-jinx or whatever). Facing Australia in a knockout match is akin to trying to stay calm whilst watching Megan Fox bathe. Very, very difficult. I believe the last time India beat Australia in a knockout game was way back in 2000 (the Champions trophy match where Yuvraj scored eighty-four).
While I agree that Australia have a good chance, I think record in knockouts is irrelevant. Knock outs of this kind between 2 teams happen, what, once in 5 years at best? Lot changes in that period - the players, captains, playing conditions and the game itself. I therefore find it a little silly when someone points out that team X has a good record against team Y in WC. Someone from commentary mentioned WI's good record against India in WCs. Duh!

Blaze 18

Banned
While I agree that Australia have a good chance, I think record in knockouts is irrelevant. Knock outs of this kind between 2 teams happen, what, once in 5 years at best? Lot changes in that period - the players, captains, playing conditions and the game itself. I therefore find it a little silly when someone points out that team X has a good record against team Y in WC. Someone from commentary mentioned WI's good record against India in WCs. Duh!
Point taken. I actually said something similar to smalishah when he brought up India's record against Pakistan in World Cups. The point I'm trying to make here is that Australia are insanely good under pressure, which I feel is relevant. I have rarely seen them lose must-win/knockout games in my dozen or so years of watching cricket.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Point taken. I actually said something similar to smalishah when he brought up India's record against Pakistan in World Cups. The point I'm trying to make here is that Australia are insanely good under pressure, which I feel is relevant. I have rarely seen them lose must-win/knockout games in my dozen or so years of watching cricket.
You didn't watch the Ashes Test in Melbourne then?

Blaze 18

Banned
I was talking more about ODIs to be honest. The recent Ashes series really did surprise me a great deal, though. I knew England were a quality side and expected them to give Australia a run for their money, but I never thought Australia could possibly lose at home.

Bun

Banned
will be some sort of revenge for the recent drubbings in india for aus shud they win this

Spark

Global Moderator
I can very well see that happening if we're bowling first and behind on the over rate (which we will be)

TumTum

Banned
As optimistic as I've always been, and as arrogant and overconfident as other may perceive me to be, I'm **** scared for this matchup. Really very nervous for the first time ever.

Need Sehwag and Sachin to fire.
For your sake, I hope India wins :)

vcs

Backing themselves for this one though.

Truth be told, I wouldn't be too hurt if we lost the semi, provided we had the unadulerated joy of booting India at home.
Didn't quite work out that way for Indian fans in '96.

Burgey

Didn't quite work out that way for Indian fans in '96.
Come on, you've got to admit. It would be hilarious, with the hyperbole about this Indian team (not saying on here, for the most part, btw - and certainly not yourself).

Would be funnier too because this really is a no more than decent Australian side. The fact we're really a show is testament to how open the whole tourney is, which is a good thing. India are favourites in this one, imo. But it could go either way, really.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Come on, you've got to admit. It would be hilarious, with the hyperbole about this Indian team (not saying on here, for the most part, btw - and certainly not yourself).

Would be funnier too because this really is a no more than decent Australian side. The fact we're really a show is testament to how open the whole tourney is, which is a good thing. India are favourites in this one, imo. But it could go either way, really.
Are you unwell or something burgess? Don't slacken off when we need you!

vcs

There is hyperbole every time India set out to play a World Cup. I can see how it makes it funny when they lose, but it's not exactly a novel occurrence.

flibbertyjibber

You are a poor test side, still got enough quality to perform in one dayers but with so many older players the good days they have are less frequent now. Only needs a couple of them to have a good one though and you are bang in this match.

I think India will win but i am not writing Australia off like i am England in the Sri Lanka match.

angad

U19 12th Man
I want both India and Aus to qualify for Semi's, is it possible? weird format, one of cricketing superpowers (atleast in revenue) will be knocked out. :mellow: