• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official * Pakistan vs New Zealand 2023

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
300 is almost impossible when they top order collapses so spectacularly. Good fifties from #s 5 and 6 though. Would've liked them to finish it off but they'll learn from this. Good consolation win.

We seem to have the 2019 India problem of having a top order that generally dominates but still starts slowly enough that it cripples the rest of the innings when it collapses. I don't get why Imam was rested though.

Lame finish. Just needed one of 7-9 to hang in there with Iftikhar. Well played NZ.

Iftikhar must've secured his place for the WC. Unsure about Rizzwan at 4 but it could work.

Last edited:

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Nice to see Shipley get some wickets again today. Has he bowled himself into the WC squad or nah?
Yeah great to see him enjoy some success, but he and Milne will probably be in the reserves. Will need a max of 4 pace bowlers for India, those slots will likely go to Henry, Southee, Ferguson and Boult.

If Milne stays fit I don’t mind him displacing Ferguson (or Southee, but that won’t happen), he bowled with real pace and got better as the tour went on.

thierry henry

International Coach
Should've kicked on given the conditions but that's probably enough to displace Allen. I shudder to think how he'll do when the new ball does a bit or when he isn't in prime form.
I know "if you can't bat, just BazBall" is a thing, but I still say that no top order option is worse than Allen when it comes to ability to keep out decent bowling.

trundler

I know "if you can't bat, just BazBall" is a thing, but I still say that no top order option is worse than Allen when it comes to ability to keep out decent bowling.
Oh yeah, Young over Allen for me also. Not sold on the latter at all in ODIs. Just persist with Mitchell at 3 for now.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Has Sodhi bowled himself out of the WC squad with his efforts this series? Could easily see the selectors just sticking with Santner and Macewell.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Has Sodhi bowled himself out of the WC squad with his efforts this series? Could easily see the selectors just sticking with Santner and Macewell.
He had a chance to put himself in the argument for a starting spot and he's blown that but I think he'll be in the squad anyway. Santner and Macewell will both be in the first eleven so he'll be one of the four backups in the 15 IMO.

trundler

Sodhi has really struggled against Pakistan in white ball stuff, hasn't he? He was the only major disappointing for NZ in the series. The other guys who didn't do well are so far down the pecking order as to be irrelevant.

Athlai

Not Terrible
People go really overboard with "planning for the future" thing imo. Why wouldn't you make the best of what you have right now? As soon as someone hits 30, he's talked about like he's on borrowed time.

I'm fairly I read talk of moving past him in this thread. You're right about him not converting though.
I mean more in the sense, people haven't fully accepted Latham is good at ODIs. Cos its been just 2 years of jam

Flem274*

123/5
we just haven't played many odis full stop against top 8 sides since the 2019 wc, so latham bombing it is still fresh in our minds.

those lack of games also mean we don't really know our best eleven. we probably have a fair idea now, but we have far less info and depth than the run in to 2015.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Sodhi has really struggled against Pakistan in white ball stuff, hasn't he? He was the only major disappointing for NZ in the series. The other guys who didn't do well are so far down the pecking order as to be irrelevant.
Neesham too, I've generally been a supporter but for a senior player the performances have really tailed off. Didn't take opportunities in the middle with the bat and too many freebies with the ball. Did well in clutch moments in the T20s, but in the ODIs McConchie and Ravindra did more as allrounders while Chapman played the sort of counter-attacking innings which should really be his regular contribution.

trundler

Neesham too, I've generally been a supporter but for a senior player the performances have really tailed off. Didn't take opportunities in the middle with the bat and too many freebies with the ball. Did well in clutch moments in the T20s, but in the ODIs McConchie and Ravindra did more as allrounders while Chapman played the sort of counter-attacking innings which should really be his regular contribution.
You're right about that but Neesham shouldn't be near the side based on his returns in the last couple of years.

I'm sad that ODI cricket is gone again there's nothing to save us from the relentless barrage of forgettable T20s.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Neesham shouldn't play another game for NZ. I have nothing against the guy, in fact I've backed him right in over the years as a guy with talent with the bat and someone I thought could become a very good 4th/5th bowling option and I thought he'd become a very good death bowler.

But I'm happy for him to chase the franchise stuff and we can find out more about the Clarksons, N.Smiths, K.Clarkes or anyone else who has much more time to give and probably would offer similar performances.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously happy for Will Young too, although another couple of big(ish) scores without turning them into three figures continues to concern. This is a guy who has 6 Test 50s without a ton, along with 14 FC tons + 41 halfs. Big opportunity squandered to get the monkey off the back against major nations. Is he the guy who should open in the World Cup ahead of Finn Allen? Probably you'd say yes, as he's better against decent bowling...but it's not that simple with how they might want to play, is Mitchell batting 3, is Stead going to open with Nicholls instead etc.

ashley bach

International Captain
Yeah surely Jimmy the Neesh is just about done. Quietly hoping he doesn't make the squad for the world cup because it's hard to see him producing
anything to write home about in Indian conditions.
Sadly knowing how our selectors operate though, it's almost a certainty that he'll be there.