• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in New Zealand (3 tests)

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
With the first touring match just three days away, I thought it was time to start discussion over a highly anticipated series. Their is plenty at stake for both sides in this series and form suggests it should be a very contestable series.

My knowledge of Pakistan cricket is limited so I will leave that for someone else. However, there still a number of vacant spots up for grabs in the blackcaps side and the touring match is a massive oppurtunity for players to either cement their spot for Dunedin or stake a claim. Tim Southee, Darryl Tuffey and Iain O Brien are effectively trialling for one spot in the pace attack whilst Tim McIntosh and Daniel Flynn will want solid scores to cement their places. Grant Elliott and James Franklin also appear to be in a triall for the all rounders position.

The team for the tour match is:

Grant Elliott – Captain
Craig Cumming
Tim McIntosh
BJ Watling
Daniel Flynn
James Franklin
Reece Young – Wicketkeeper
Daryl Tuffey
Tarun Nethula
Tim Southee
Iain O’Brien
Brent Arnel

Craig

World Traveller
So technically this is a Pakistan 'home series', because nobody in their right mind is going to tour Pakistan anytime soon. So that being the case, that means the PCB has a say over how the pitch will play? Obviously you can't turn the pitch at Dunedin's University Oval into one similar to a pitch in Multan or Lahore, but you know what I mean.

Fusion

Global Moderator
So technically this is a Pakistan 'home series', because nobody in their right mind is going to tour Pakistan anytime soon. So that being the case, that means the PCB has a say over how the pitch will play? Obviously you can't turn the pitch at Dunedin's University Oval into one similar to a pitch in Multan or Lahore, but you know what I mean.
It doesn't seem like Pakistan will have too much control over the pitch preparation, as Yousaf is worried by early summer pitches. The question about PCB having a say in pitch preparation in neutral "home" series has never been answered properly. I really would like to know how much say they have in matters like this.

On a side note, how typical of a Pakistani batsman (and the current Captain no less) to be worried about bowler friendly pitches. Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that the strength of your team is the bowling so it should be advantage Pakistan. Instead, let's whine about getting roads so you can score your century.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
With the first touring match just three days away, I thought it was time to start discussion over a highly anticipated series. Their is plenty at stake for both sides in this series and form suggests it should be a very contestable series.

My knowledge of Pakistan cricket is limited so I will leave that for someone else. However, there still a number of vacant spots up for grabs in the blackcaps side and the touring match is a massive oppurtunity for players to either cement their spot for Dunedin or stake a claim. Tim Southee, Darryl Tuffey and Iain O Brien are effectively trialling for one spot in the pace attack whilst Tim McIntosh and Daniel Flynn will want solid scores to cement their places. Grant Elliott and James Franklin also appear to be in a triall for the all rounders position.

The team for the tour match is:

Grant Elliott – Captain
Craig Cumming
Tim McIntosh
BJ Watling
Daniel Flynn
James Franklin
Reece Young – Wicketkeeper
Daryl Tuffey
Tarun Nethula
Tim Southee
Iain O’Brien
Brent Arnel
Elliott captain-WAG.

McIntosh vs Cumming will be interesting.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Home Cumming goes well and gets another test gig. Would be his final chance I imagine but he deserves it, and he shouldn't have been dropped really in the first place.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
Home Cumming goes well and gets another test gig. Would be his final chance I imagine but he deserves it, and he shouldn't have been dropped really in the first place.
yea there has been the suggestion that because of Ryders absence, Guptill moves to three with Flynn and Taylor sliding down one, so that Tmac and Cumming can open. Im not a fan of the idea and would rather see everyone hold their current positions and a Sinclair or Watling slotting in at 5.

Craig

World Traveller
It doesn't seem like Pakistan will have too much control over the pitch preparation, as Yousaf is worried by early summer pitches. The question about PCB having a say in pitch preparation in neutral "home" series has never been answered properly. I really would like to know how much say they have in matters like this.

On a side note, how typical of a Pakistani batsman (and the current Captain no less) to be worried about bowler friendly pitches. Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that the strength of your team is the bowling so it should be advantage Pakistan. Instead, let's whine about getting roads so you can score your century.
Yeah, if it is a green top your bowling line up will destory our batting line up.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Looking forward to Asif's return & how young Akmal goes. Hopefully Younis Khan also will be back for AUS tour.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
yea there has been the suggestion that because of Ryders absence, Guptill moves to three with Flynn and Taylor sliding down one, so that Tmac and Cumming can open. Im not a fan of the idea and would rather see everyone hold their current positions and a Sinclair or Watling slotting in at 5.
Don't like it. Would prefer Elliott at 5 at Franklin at 6. Just choose 2 out of McIntosh, Cumming & Flynn and play them. Btw, interesting that Redmond wasn't included in that match, as his name has been thrown around a fair bit too.

Also, it would be really good to see confirmation on who exactly is available and who is not eg:

Ryder - confirmed injured for first test I believe... what about the rest?
Bond - I saw and article on Stuff suggesting he might play, but Vettori had previously suggested he might not. And that's just the first test.
Vettori - is clearly not 100% fit. I wonder how much of an effect that will have on his bowling.
Franklin - seeing as he's playing in the warmup I guess he's ok. Butwith the bad back can he bowl?

Howsie

International Captain
Not like he would play in this series but: Mills out for at least four monthsCricket - News - Yahoo!Xtra Sport

Black Caps bowler Kyle Mills will be out of cricket for a minimum of four months.

Mills will have surgery on his left shoulder and right knee in the next few weeks. The knee problem is a chronic injury and the operation on the shoulder allows time to address the issue.

The major goal for his return to fitness is World Twenty20 starting in April 2010.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Don't like it. Would prefer Elliott at 5 at Franklin at 6. Just choose 2 out of McIntosh, Cumming & Flynn and play them. Btw, interesting that Redmond wasn't included in that match, as his name has been thrown around a fair bit too.
Think Watling and Cumming could not only be playing for the opening spot but the number 3 position too.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reckon the pitches will be similar to that of the Indian tour, flat and grassless for the most part.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
and in return Bond and co will eat us for breakfast looking forward to these 2 day test matches
Well, here is the scorecard for the first match of the season at Dunedin's Uni Oval where the first test will be held.

So ummm, bowl first then ;)

Flem274*

123/5
Flat pitches or no flat pitches, it will still be a collaspe comp.

Its why I want Ryder back pronto as well. He, Vettori and Taylor to an extent are the only guys you can have faith will do anything.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Flat pitches or no flat pitches, it will still be a collaspe comp.

Its why I want Ryder back pronto as well. He, Vettori and Taylor to an extent are the only guys you can have faith will do anything.
Na Guptill will almost certainly get starts, whether or not he is able to finally go on is the big question.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Even though we are going to have to adjust the batting order and bring someone in for Ryder. In general I would like to see Guptil drop down to 3 as he is so attacking. And would like to see Flynn drop down the order to where there is less pressure at 6. I have seen enough of him at 3.
For this game I am happy to leave the decisions in the hands of the selectors as I don't think there is any obvious choice of who should play for Ryder.