• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England 2020

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ashwin's problem in those games wasn't so much psychological as it was an embarrassing lack of awareness of what was expected from him, our most experienced bowler, in the situation i.e. keep the variations to a minimum and drill away on a length.
True about Cape Town, not true about Southampton where he was obviously injured and only kept going as we had no other spinner. Adelaide a better example of him trying too much but at least there he only did it towards the end when the game was almost won already.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He gets injured because he cant stay away from the idlis , which is what I've always criticized him for rather than any psychoanalysis on my part.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
He does get some criticism, justifiably so in my eyes, but he is still young and still learning and his talent is obvious for all to see, he’s not going to be the finished article yet. However his 4-for in the last Test did include the wickets of Yasir Shah, Mohammad Abbas and Naseem Shah, so they weren’t exactly prized victims, with all due respect.
For England, they absolutely are prized victims. No Test side leaks runs to those sorts of players as routinely as England does. If Archer is used in a way that optimises his effectiveness — bowling short sharp spells of no more than four overs thrice a day, with Stokes accounting for the offset against the workloads of the other steamers — then all of a sudden England would be in a position to dispatch these tailenders far more efficiently.

Archer has cut his pace as a sort of unconscious psychological and physiological defence against the way his current misuse as a workhorse. And why shouldn’t he mix up his pace and end up averaging 83-85 MPH like the other seamers when his captain is deploying him in the same way as he deploys them?

If Root starts using Archer properly in short sharp bursts then I’m pretty sure we’ll see a return to those fiery 90 MPH+ spells of which we know he’s capable.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Ethically challenged XI

Gayle
-
Kambli
Gower
M Waugh
Inzimam
-
Ashwin
Archer
-
-

Can't think of many lazy openers or keepers
A bit harsh on Gower on Waugh. Both looked lazy while batting but they were deceptive. They relied on timing as opposed to power and their relaxed, laconic persona belied their talent and application. I have no argument re Inzimam - often too lazy to run and would call for a runner at the drop of a hat.

trundler

A bit harsh on Gower on Waugh. Both looked lazy while batting but they were deceptive. They relied on timing as opposed to power and their relaxed, laconic persona belied their talent and application. I have no argument re Inzimam - often too lazy to run and would call for a runner at the drop of a hat.
Didn't really have a strong reason as such for the inclusion of Waugh but didn't Gower have a falling out with Gooch over his lax attitude? Inzi was such a hilarious cricketer all round. I couldn't find the picture of him sitting back during training.

Flem274*

123/5
For England, they absolutely are prized victims. No Test side leaks runs to those sorts of players as routinely as England does. If Archer is used in a way that optimises his effectiveness — bowling short sharp spells of no more than four overs thrice a day, with Stokes accounting for the offset against the workloads of the other steamers — then all of a sudden England would be in a position to dispatch these tailenders far more efficiently.

Archer has cut his pace as a sort of unconscious psychological and physiological defence against the way his current misuse as a workhorse. And why shouldn’t he mix up his pace and end up averaging 83-85 MPH like the other seamers when his captain is deploying him in the same way as he deploys them?

If Root starts using Archer properly in short sharp bursts then I’m pretty sure we’ll see a return to those fiery 90 MPH+ spells of which we know he’s capable.
you're back!

can i be your polyanna baby?

smash84

The Tiger King

Great to have you back CWB. It has been a while since I last saw you post.

Post more often.

Daemon

Pakistan will probably go in unchanged

England

Sibley
Burns
Crawley
Root
Pope
Buttler
Woakes

I think the above is a given, but here's where it gets hard to predict

Curran
Bess
Broad
Archer/Anderson

I suspect Anderson or Archer may be rested.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pakistan will probably go in unchanged

England

Sibley
Burns
Crawley
Root
Pope
Buttler
Woakes

I think the above is a given, but here's where it gets hard to predict

Curran
Bess
Broad
Archer/Anderson

I suspect Anderson or Archer may be rested.
I would actually play Wood over both. A number of Pak batsmen can be threatened or dismissed with short stuff around the wicket. And I think both Archer and Anderson need a break. Anderson coz it will be too many consecutive tests for him at his age, Archer because think he still has to figure out how he wants to bowl in the longer format.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have a quibble. This is the same Archer who before the Ashes bragged about how many overs he bowled in the County Championship and that the Australians couldn't tire him out. And he's allowed to indicate to Root his feelings about how he's being used.

He's bowling 221 balls per test. Lillee bowled 264, Cummins 225, Johnson 219, Lee 217. Excluding tests he bowls 211 ball per match in FC cricket (a difference of two overs). Should he bowl shorter spells? Almost certainly, though he often seems to take some time to warm up and reach maximum pace. It's not a light workload, but it ain't exceptional.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I have a quibble. This is the same Archer who before the Ashes bragged about how many overs he bowled in the County Championship and that the Australians couldn't tire him out. And he's allowed to indicate to Root his feelings about how he's being used.

He's bowling 221 balls per test. Lillee bowled 264, Cummins 225, Johnson 219, Lee 217. Excluding tests he bowls 211 ball per match in FC cricket (a difference of two overs). Should he bowl shorter spells? Almost certainly, though he often seems to take some time to warm up and reach maximum pace. It's not a light workload, but it ain't exceptional.
My thoughts exactly. Archer did himself no favours whatsoever by pumping up his own tyres on that occasion

If you talk a big game and don't deliver on it, the criticism is 100% warranted

Woodster

International Captain

A four-for where he dismisses four top order bats is far more impressive, despite the annoyance these lower order bats can cause. My point in that post was 4-80 odd is better than it looks when three of them are tail-enders.
Agree with you with regards the way we use Archer, Root seems conflicted at the moment as to the role he’s better used in.