• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England 2020

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Half-expecting the bowling to fall apart in the second dig. If they wear out the new ball burst, the pacers except Abbas look less threatening.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
For the next test I'd go;

Burns
Sibley
Crawley/Lawrence
Root
Pope
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Curran
Bess
Broad
Quite possibly. I'd pick Crawley because (1) it would be incredibly hard for Lawrence to debut in this year's situation and (2) I think Crawley was a bit unlucky to be dropped for what was effectively one bad innings. I'm ignoring the 2nd innings when he had to hit quick runs to set up a declaration.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Half-expecting the bowling to fall apart in the second dig. If they wear out the new ball burst, the pacers except Abbas look less threatening.
It will be interesting to see how they go if our openers see of the new ball spell. There wasn't much pressure on them for most of our first innings, and even during the Pope/Buttler partnership they knew that one more wicket should bring the innings to a speedy end. Likeliest scenario is you'll be fine though.

Groundking

International Debutant
They better not ruin it and bat Curran above Woakes (although they probably should.)
Whilst I agree, it's not exactly like Curran has been brilliant with the bat since the India series either.

Quite possibly. I'd pick Crawley because (1) it would be incredibly hard for Lawrence to debut in this year's situation and (2) I think Crawley was a bit unlucky to be dropped for what was effectively one bad innings. I'm ignoring the 2nd innings when he had to hit quick runs to set up a declaration.
I'm just not particularily convinced by Crawley and think it's probably a bit too soon for him I know you ideally want more than 10 innings to see if somebodies got it or not, but his FC doesn't exactly inspire either. Lawrence's FC is a lot better and has had some really impressive lions tours. This years situation really isn't great though and does make it difficult.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm just not particularily convinced by Crawley and think it's probably a bit too soon for him I know you ideally want more than 10 innings to see if somebodies got it or not, but his FC doesn't exactly inspire either. Lawrence's FC is a lot better and has had some really impressive lions tours. This years situation really isn't great though and does make it difficult.
I'm going to be honest that I don't know enough about Lawrence to have much of an opinion about him, beyond the fact that he plays for Essex so his runs have come in D1. I'm not 100% convinced by Crawley, but his scores have mostly improved match by match and he made an impressive 70 in the match before he messed up against Chase and then didn't hit out successfully in that slightly artificial situation. But I won't pretend that I have strong views either way.

England First

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
My team next test burns sibley Crawley root stokes pope foakes Curran broad leach wood
I’d go
Sibley
Burns
Pope looks like a perfect number 3 to me
Stokes in the kallis role at 4
Root he’s better down the order and will get his average above 50 again if he bats at 5 from now on
Woakes Potential bowling all rounder like Freddie
Foakes must be better than the poor butler
Bess he’s worth sticking with
Broad his batting is great lately and bowling unreal
Archer I don’t like his attitude but he’s better than Anderson right now
Wood pure speed but not much else
12th man is leach for a rank turner

Anderson is finished and his average will do nothing but get higher from now on, which harms his career compared to the other top 20 bowlers ever.

Woodster

International Captain
I’ve banged on about Buttler enough in the past, I think he was lucky to keep his place for so long and I really hope we go back to a competent batsman and the best keeper we have. This Test (amongst many others) has highlighted the value of a top gloveman, Foakes simply doesn’t make the mistakes Buttler has this Test and they could be crucial.

Fair play to Buttler last night, he dug in and showed he can play a proper backs to the wall Test innings to a point. We don’t get enough out of him as a batsman despite being fully aware of what he’s capable of (albeit in shorter-form cricket) to continue putting up with his deficiencies. Sometimes it isn’t glaring errors he makes with the gloves but when you see a natural keeper, they make things happen (mainly up to the wicket) that demonstrate the difference.

A gutsy and determined 38 is something we can expect from Foakes, Buttler can play the type of innings very few players can, the problem is we haven’t seen that kind anywhere near enough in Test cricket. If he was able to showcase his formidable counter-attacking style more regularly there would be merit in persevering with him, the kind of innings in this Test are more likely replicated from Foakes, yet we get an excellent gloveman.

Of course I will happily delete this post and swallow my words if Buttler wins us the Test tomorrow!

Preed

U19 12th Man
Am I the only person who thinks Archer is not doing the job he did so well against Australia.Where is the 5 over burst of hostile make them jump gone.Surely Root should say that is what he wants and if he can’t produce pick Wood instead.Unfortunately root looks lost when we come against a competitive team.The body language of the team looks poor and Anderson looked totally. Miserable.I think we need a rethink over the captaincy and maybe Root will get his form back and stop giving his wicket away

Woodster

International Captain
It’s frustrating watching Archer when you know he can crank it up over 90mph, not every spell but when a time in the Test is identified he should be able to put a few mph on. I know people will say pace isn’t everything if you’re spraying it around which is true, but imagine how difficult he’d be on this deck if he was whistling it through at 93mph!

His interview bamboozled me last night saying it’s not a pitch that get you much out of if you bend your back?? It’s the best you’ll get in England! He then went on to say his drop in pace wasn’t by design, so I’ve no idea what’s going on with him.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was going to post yesterday about Buttler's technique looking very static keeping to spin, like he gets in the line of the ball and waits for it, whereas I remembered the best keepers moving with the bounce or turn. But I didn't because I wasn't sure if my memory of other keepers was right.
Watching Rizwan here though and that's exactly what he's doing. The technical difference is night and day.
I was going to post yesterday about Buttler's technique looking very static keeping to spin, like he gets in the line of the ball and waits for it, whereas I remembered the best keepers moving with the bounce or turn. But I didn't because I wasn't sure if my memory of other keepers was right.
Watching Rizwan here though and that's exactly what he's doing. The technical difference is night and day.
I miss Neil Pickup

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
"He is Hercules, struggling through the twelve labors. He is Jason, chasing the Golden Fleece. He is Galahad, Cyrano, D'Artagnan. When he scowls, strong men shudder, and when he smiles, women swoon. The mysteries of the universe are his Tinker Toys. He rattles the thunder and looses the lightning."

This was said of Muhammad Ali, by Times magazine in 1963; it may as well apply to Ben Stokes in 2019 and now, 2020. Rarely has a cricket so occupied the thoughts of so many national diehards, rarely has a cricketer meant so much to his team and even more to his rivals. You saw his meaning in the way Abbas, quiet, thoughtful, tactful Abbas celebrated that wicket. You saw it today when Root turned to the only man he hoped, no, knew, could turn the tide. Stokes is injured, we all know it but he grabbed fate by the horns ready to guide England's destiny once more. His deliveries reared up to the Pakistani batsmen, more vicious than full time bowlers, too privileged to "bend" the "back". Stokes does not care, injured, hurt, England lagging behind, he rattles the thunder and looses the lightning. Pakistan felt the full force of England's man. He may well have won his nation the game, if not, he has certainly made it competitive. One man and his wrath did that.

One man can make a difference.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson is finished and his average will do nothing but get higher from now on, which harms his career compared to the other top 20 bowlers ever.
LOL, been hearing this same **** for about 4 or 5 years, but Jimmy keeps on taking wickets and his average keeps on falling. It was only 3 tests ago he took 5/40, his average for 2020 is currently standing at 23.85.

Unless injured mate he's the first name picked for any home test (rotation can gagf afaic) and there is no way in the world that Archer is currently better than JA.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LOL, been hearing this same **** for about 4 or 5 years, but Jimmy keeps on taking wickets and his average keeps on falling. It was only 3 tests ago he took 5/40, his average for 2020 is currently standing at 23.85.

Unless injured mate he's the first name picked for any home test (rotation can gagf afaic) and there is no way in the world that Archer is currently better than JA.
In fairness that 5/40 was 1. 8 months ago and 2. had all of 8-11 in that haul. He has felt quieter than usual this summer, but I certainly still think he's in England's Best 11 at home.