• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England 2020

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We had various comments about Anderson. Mine was simply about his figures this summer, others thought he may be finished. It's a valid discussion about a 38 year old fast bowler. Ditto Root. Lots of people specifically criticised his handling of Bess this afternoon. My comment about this being a sacking offence wasn't entirely serious, but granted I didn't add an emoji to make that obvious. But it's just a bunch of people talking about cricket. We have opinions, and they won't always be fully rounded when our side isn't doing well. It's a conversation, not a series of balanced essays on the matter. And some of the opinions may be wrong, but it's probably better airing them here than boring our loved ones with them. What I don't really understand is people turning up to have a pop at guys having said discussion. That seems odd to me.
He is still salty about Brentford and taking it out on us. :whistling

91Jmay

International Coach
Yes but that requires a change in the protocol to implement. Currently such projections are hardwired in the code of Hawkeye to return umpire's call. It would require rewriting the protocol to make such projections return as a not out decision in order to get the outcome he seeks. You could easily do this if you wanted to.

I feel you are imagining the DRS protocol as some sort of process by which someone looks at the projection and then makes a judgement on what it looks like afterwards as to how it returns. It is not. It is simply a mathematical process that returns values purely based on where the ball is projected to be and whether it falls into one of three entirely arbitrarily defined zones, and with one zone being a weird "umpire's call" zone. Given that this is far from the first time that someone has complained about umpire's call returning by-definition inconsistent decisions, then I don't really get why you find this suggestion so outrageous.
Sorry you've totally invented an argument he isn't making. He simply says umpires make a mistake every time a LBW is given and it's umpires call. That is a fine comment to make for certain decisions but to make the blanket statement is hogwash as not every umpires call is the same. The Broad not out was at least two inches higher than the decision given out. The idea an umpire can't see a LBW and think it's clipping the bails therefore it's out is silly.
If an umpire is sure it is clipping the bails, why shouldn't they give it out?

smash84

The Tiger King
England have definitely given themselves a chance. **** batting from Pakistan, actually **** running from Shafiq, idiot. Let the match get to this point that England are in this.

Spark

Global Moderator
Sorry you've totally invented an argument he isn't making. He simply says umpires make a mistake every time a LBW is given and it's umpires call. That is a fine comment to make for certain decisions but to make the blanket statement is hogwash as not every umpires call is the same. The Broad not out was at least two inches higher than the decision given out. The idea an umpire can't see a LBW and think it's clipping the bails therefore it's out is silly.
If an umpire is sure it is clipping the bails, why shouldn't they give it out?
Probably because "sure" and "clipping the bails" would be seen by many as mutually exclusive.

Uppercut

These pitches sometimes die a bit in the 4th innings. England aren’t favourites but they’re well in this.

Neptune

State Vice-Captain
Root’s captaincy really is shambolic. Getting really bored of it now, just so much wrong. We really lack intensity sometimes and he just doesn’t seem to be able to motivate the team. Obviously he turns to the injured Stokes to bail us out again. We rely on Stokes too much, it isn’t healthy. God help us if he gets a bad injury. We’re nothing without him.

Spark

Global Moderator
These pitches sometimes die a bit in the 4th innings. England aren’t favourites but they’re well in this.
I'd agree normally but dead, turning pitch is like catnip for Yasir. Means he doesn't go for runs as much but he'll continue to threaten both edges.

tooextracool

International Coach
Never particularly understood the ump’s call argument for lbw’s so Holding certainly has a point (even if he bangs on about it every game like Warne and Botham). If it’s hitting the stumps, it probably should just be out IMO whether it’s a millimeter or not (same as for a run-out). I know that the goal is to preserve on field ump decisions but we’ve moved on so far beyond that as a sport.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There have been times in the last day and a bit when I'd have taken your hand off if you'd offered us a target of 250. Pakistan favourites, as you say, and probably strong favourites. But we should have a good contest tomorrow.

Preed

U19 12th Man
Is it not time for a proper keeper ie foakes who can bat as well.I would leave out Archer next test as he seems to be just going through the motions instead of giving an all out burst .

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Is it not time for a proper keeper ie foakes who can bat as well.I would leave out Archer next test as he seems to be just going through the motions instead of giving an all out burst .
Welcome.
I was wondering about Archer earlier too. It's going to be tough for our selectors to make a decision about our bowlers that's universally approved. But if Foakes does come into the team, one of the bowlers will have to go.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We had various comments about Anderson. Mine was simply about his figures this summer, others thought he may be finished. It's a valid discussion about a 38 year old fast bowler. Ditto Root. Lots of people specifically criticised his handling of Bess this afternoon. My comment about this being a sacking offence wasn't entirely serious, but granted I didn't add an emoji to make that obvious. But it's just a bunch of people talking about cricket. We have opinions, and they won't always be fully rounded when our side isn't doing well. It's a conversation, not a series of balanced essays on the matter. And some of the opinions may be wrong, but it's probably better airing them here than boring our loved ones with them. What I don't really understand is people turning up to have a pop at guys having said discussion. That seems odd to me.
Saying people are whinging is not really 'having a pop.'

Hey I know you like to be relentlessly negative, that is the way you consume your sport.

tooextracool

International Coach
Should be interesting next test as they will also likely need to rotate bowlers as well. Ideally, Buttler, Archer, Anderson and Bess will make way for Foakes, Wood, Curran/Crawley and Leach

flibbertyjibber

Can see Crawley, Curran and Foakes playing next week who drops out is anyones guess but rotation of the bowling is certain and we can bring in Crawley when Stokes is back as a full allrounder.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Saying people are whinging is not really 'having a pop.'

Hey I know you like to be relentlessly negative, that is the way you consume your sport.
Is that really necessary? Most folks here seem to be able to cope, whatever their personal views. I'm not sure that sanctimonious comments about other posters add a lot to the forum. I'm not sure it's even true nowadays. Maybe more so a few years ago but there's been plenty of folks making 'negative' comments lately, yourself included actually.