• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England 2020

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shan Masood can look like a tailender against short pitched bowling. I'd bet on Archer dominating him. Azhar Ali might bat 3 actually. I like the look of Abid Ali. Looks much more compact than Masood.

I really wish somebody could replace Shafiq. I know he's our 2nd best batsman but that's the depressing thing about him. A sub-40 batsman who has now played the most consecutive tests for Pakistan on the back of a few promising cameos here and there. The cupboard is bare but he's mediocrity personified.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Didn't he play that awesome knock to almost chase down 500 or something in Australia, think Brisbane of all places too...

trundler

Yeah I think Naseem has been picked too early. Might struggle to hit a consistently full length. I have faith in Shaheen and Abbas though. Don't want Amir in there on principle. Sohail Khan would be the worst thing they could do. Thoughts on Wahab?
Didn't he play that awesome knock to almost chase down 500 or something in Australia, think Brisbane of all places too...
Yeah but literally nothing since then. A good looking but inconsequential 70 against Australia last time too. Just throws his wicket away. I'm probably being a little harsh on him. Just don't think his place should be so secure.

trundler

Just no

Shafiq is just the poor man's Rahane/Bell, isn't he?
Wahab is just Sami mk 2, yeah. I don't like the policy of picking the new wunderkind before he's had significant FC success either though. Still Shah is at least the form player.

Agree with the 2nd part. He's not completely useless but fmd he tries to be.

Flem274*

123/5
i was excited to post a nerdy combined side in response to that smug guy but howe beat me :(

wahab is a lot better than sami, come on guys. ive also been a shafiq fan since his debut but fml he's frustrating.

pakistan have a much better batting line up than the windies. the windies would be doing well to get more than brathwaite in a combined top six.

this should prompt me to expect them to do better but pakistan do enjoy a group implosion the most of the 4 asian sides. i expect mohammad abbas to be a nightmare at the bowling crease.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If it is a 3-0 win that’d be a huge step forward for England. Last time we whitewashed a side was 2011 (and before that, 2004).

Bijed

International Regular
A combined England-Pakistan side for me would probably be

Burns/Sibley
Azhar Ali
Babar Azam
Joe Root
Ben Stokes
Asad Shafiq
Mohammed Rizwan+
Yasir Shah
Stuart Broad
James Anderson
Mohammed Abbas

I don't really mind which of Burns/Sibley opens with Ali but I can't in good conscience pick Shan Masood to open in England, he's probably going to struggle. Shafiq would get a game over Ollie Pope in most circumstances even though I'm hopeful that Pope will go on to be the better player. Not sure Rizwan will get a game at the start of the series but he's the form keeper-bat on both sides. Woakes maybe adds more value than Abbas in England given the former's batting, but I expect Abbas to be a tough proposition on this tour.

So I ended up with six Pakistan players to England's five, but my gut feeling is that the England players that don't make this side like Woakes and Pope will generally do better than the shakier Pakistan players and we will probably see a similar series to that the Windies gave us.
How's Azhar done in his last few tests? Obviously on his career he walks into a combined top order, but I remember him having a horror run around the time of their last tour and not sure to what extent he's come out of it

Howe_zat

Audio File
Ha, I didn’t even consider away series when I was writing that. You’re right of course.

That 2018 series was freakish, I don’t think we ever put up a big score or bowled SL out for under 200, and you could tell the side that did it were never going to play together again.

Howe_zat

Audio File
How's Azhar done in his last few tests? Obviously on his career he walks into a combined top order, but I remember him having a horror run around the time of their last tour and not sure to what extent he's come out of it
This is true tbf. Looking, he didn't really score any runs in England or Ireland last time, and has had bad tours to SA and Australia since. In 8 away tests since 2018 he's averaged 12 with a high score of 50.

On the other hand, he is at least an established top order player and he can't be that out of nick right now, he hit a ton in his last test (at home vs Bangladesh) and in one of their warm up games.

OverratedSanity

Shan Masood can look like a tailender against short pitched bowling. I'd bet on Archer dominating him. Azhar Ali might bat 3 actually. I like the look of Abid Ali. Looks much more compact than Masood.

I really wish somebody could replace Shafiq. I know he's our 2nd best batsman but that's the depressing thing about him. A sub-40 batsman who has now played the most consecutive tests for Pakistan on the back of a few promising cameos here and there. The cupboard is bare but he's mediocrity personified.
Where's Harris Sohail in the pecking order? I've always liked the look of him but he barely ever plays.

trundler

Where's Harris Sohail in the pecking order? I've always liked the look of him but he barely ever plays.
Definitely ahead of fringe players like Fawad Alam. He's part of the first choice #11 if they go 6 batsmen. Got exposed against good short pitched bowling in SA like the rest of em though.