• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia 2019

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently Bert Oldfield was embarrassed to get dismissals

From his cricinfo profile:

Neville Cardus has written of the apparent reluctance with which he dismissed his victims. JH Fingleton said that if he congratulated Oldfield on a brilliant piece of stumping, the latter would look embarrassed and then say quietly, "It's nice to get them, isn't it?"

Burner

International Regular
Heh. Smith stfu man. "A couple of the boys were in the sheds just after that and said 'he's just woken up the beast' or something like that." fmd :laugh:

the big bambino

International Captain
Word on the street is that Pakistan will be dropping Naseem to bring in Abbas and keeping Imran.
I could almost buy this though I don't think I'd play him now that they've decided to pick Naseem. MI Khan is a good bowler and I love the unusual trajectory of his delivery. He seems to have a path that looks like it drops on a batsman and with an ability to swing the ball that should be accentuated in a pink ball game. I can see he and Abbas being quite a threat. The alternative is to keep the variety of Naseem's pace, Afridi's angle with Abbas which I'd ultimately go with. Maybe Naseem hasn't come up well after his first test and the short turn around favours Imran.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I could almost buy this though I don't think I'd play him now that they've decided to pick Naseem. MI Khan is a good bowler and I love the unusual trajectory of his delivery. He seems to have a path that looks like it drops on a batsman and with an ability to swing the ball that should be accentuated in a pink ball game. I can see he and Abbas being quite a threat. The alternative is to keep the variety of Naseem's pace, Afridi's angle with Abbas which I'd ultimately go with. Maybe Naseem hasn't come up well after his first test and the short turn around favours Imran.
Well the word I got from the street this morning contradicts yesterday anyway, so never mind.

Suffice to say you never really know who Pakistan will pick until they do.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well the word I got from the street this morning contradicts yesterday anyway, so never mind.
Cricinfo seems to be reporting that Imran and Naseem will both be left out and they'll debut another teenager as well as recalling Abbas.

Imran getting picked for the red ball Test on the back of a great spell with the pink ball and then getting dropped for the pink ball Test immediately after so they could debut their second teenager of the series would almost be as peak Pakistan and Abbas being dropped.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ehh when you look at it that way, fair ponit I guess

Absolutely love how he averages 77.50 (!) against Anderson
Yes Yasir Shah has dismissed Steve Smith 7 times, but those wickets have came at a cost of 46.28 apeice. So claiming he has the wood over Steve Smith is really pretty dim indeed
These stats are pointless cricinfo voodoo and likely not even what you think they are.

Smith averages 46 in innings when Yasir has got him out, and 77 in innings when Anderson has got him out.

So if you absolutely pummelled a bowler on the way to a double ton but got out to someone else, but then the next innings you played against him he got you out for 1, cricinfo would say you averaged 1 against him even though it'd probably be more like 60 in reality.
And in the reverse situation, if you really struggled against a bowler but managed to get to 70 odd by scoring off the others and then he got you out, it'd record you averaging 70 against him even if it was more like 15 in reality.

They should just remove this entire metric; it's pointless and misleading. Comes up all the time on CW too.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
These stats are pointless cricinfo voodoo and likely not even what you think they are.

Smith averages 46 in innings when Yasir has got him out, and 77 in innings when Anderson has got him out.

So if you absolutely pummelled a bowler on the way to a double ton but got out to someone else, but then the next innings you played against him he got you out for 1, cricinfo would say you averaged 1 against him even though it'd probably be more like 60 in reality.
And in the reverse situation, if you really struggled against a bowler but managed to get to 70 odd by scoring off the others and then he got you out, it'd record you averaging 70 against him even if it was more like 15 in reality.

They should just remove this entire metric; it's pointless and misleading. Comes up all the time on CW too.
My apologies, screwed up pretty badly on that one. The only way I could think to actually work the average out then would be manually to go back through the ball by ball history for any delivery a certain bowler has bowled to a certain batsman and calculate it from there, which sounds an absolute headache tbh

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My apologies, screwed up pretty badly on that one. The only way I could think to actually work the average out then would be manually to go back through the ball by ball history for any delivery a certain bowler has bowled to a certain batsman and calculate it from there, which sounds an absolute headache tbh
Yeah working out the actual averages really is tedious, even for me even though I've automated two thirds of it. Cricinfo Statsguru could do it easily for players after a certain date but instead like to mislead people with what they've got.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Also coz it would be meaningless. For example, as a hypothetical, if Smith faced Yasir for a spell of 5 overs and scored 10 runs off him, and was scoring fast at the other end (say 35 off 20 balls) then he is actually got 45 off 55 when he s getting out to Yasir. But the crapinfo h2h average would read 10 and we have absolutely no bloody context or secondary metric to tell us if that is good or not. If a batsman stays in long enough to play all 4 or 5 bowlers and scores 20 off each he is already on 80 or 100, even if he gets out then to one bowler which means crapinfo will then record it as 20 avg against said bowler. Meaningless, contextless drivel more than any real stat, is what that is.

Spark

Global Moderator
The closest you can get to a statistical measure is simply average in matches where he faced that bowler. But even then, it's a distant second to a simple "I watched him bat against this bowler and he was excellent/okay/not great/terrible"