• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official NZ in Bangladesh (5 T20s)

Flem274*

123/5
Kuggs has always been that way. Back when we were all **** posting during the burger king super smash or whatever 'kugglejuggle' became a sympathetic character for never smiling but always improving.

then yea court happened.

Aritro

International Regular
Reckon it would kill Kuggz to smile every once in a while?
Well who knows, maybe it would? These things can happen. I knew a bloke who suddenly keeled over while doing the dishes. His wife said to him, "you know, it wouldn't kill you to wash a plate once in a while."

And didn't she feel silly after he tried it! :confused:

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Absolutely hate watching Kuggs play, personally. Esp since the court thing and how he got totally unscathed.

Anyway, great series overall - Ajaz killed it, Latham really showed up as expected. Wouldn't hurt to have him in slow-ish decks tbh (although yea, it won't be a mud pit in UAE anyhoo). Rachin sorta underperformed with the bat, but I guess wouldn't hold it against him too much. Bowled fairly well.

Really looking forward to the India tests now to see Ajaz in action (and Latham bat tbh, reckon he's gonna be big).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
will be interesting to see what the team does with Latham in India. His skill against spin demands a spot at 4 or 5 but the absence of alternative openers would suggest he has to open.

Good to see Sears nudging into the high 140’s in difficult conditions. If he can work on his build a little bit he should have genuine pace. The guy’s currently skinnier than Milne was when he made his t20 debut as an 18 year old. More protein smoothies and less 2am ramen and red bull while revising for his finals!

Aritro

International Regular
Good to see Sears nudging into the high 140’s in difficult conditions. If he can work on his build a little bit he should have genuine pace. The guy’s currently skinnier than Milne was when he made his t20 debut as an 18 year old. More protein smoothies and less 2am ramen and red bull while revising for his finals!
He looked impressive albeit raw as ****. Has an ungainly action like someone who was a shortarse until he suddenly grew about a foot and a half when he was 16 and is still working out how to use his limbs. Few more years as as professional and anything's possible for him I reckon.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Rachin averaged 13 with the ball at a 4.4 ER, to say he bowled ‘fairly well’ seems a bit of an understatement
Yeah absolutely fair. I've not watched all of the matches tbf, but whenever I did he's bowled well. And I think BD spinners had <5 rpo too, it's exaggerated a bit by the nature of the series/pitches tbh. Taking nothing away from Rachin though, absolutely came through with the ball (looking forward to him coming good with the bat too, boy's gun)

Aritro

International Regular
It was a tame finish to end bangladesh innings considering the needed 55 of 30 balls with 6 wickets left
This is us in proper T20 cricket. It was our worst format for a while there and probably still is

Also I owe an apology to the poster who said this New Zealand B team would do us on a proper pitch. Turns out he was right.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Earlier this year we fielded 2 proven 150km guys in milne and ferg in the same attack. Now we field two potential 150km guys in Kuggs and Sears. I'm buzzing for this blackcaps unit, what a time to be alive!

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't realise that Thilan Samaweera was part of NZ's coaching team. He must be incredibly brave/mentally strong to go back to Pakistan. I hope there is emotional support for him if needed.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Didn't get to watch the game live but watched every ball of it this morning. Finn Allen set up real nice. The boy is fearless. Hard to sustain that sort of mindset when you're unsure of the deck, haven't had big scores in the last couple but still go on to dominate the bowling like it should be in t20s. Granted it was definitely 160 pitch but still takes courage to go at the bowlers like he did. He's here to stay and will play all white ball cricket for number of years to come. I can see him criticized if he fails few times playing across the line and trying to heave the ball but he'll have to live and die by the sword. He has set an image of that himself but he'll earn loads of cash, fans and win lots of games for black caps in white ball cricket especially t20. Not sure if he's going to replace Guppy going forward or play along side Guppy but would be good for him if he does the later.

Ravindra played couple of gorgeous shots in the last game that we know he can and although this is not a criticism and rather observation, for once I agreed with the commentator :) Rachin flattered to deceive with the bat couple of times in this series. I agree the first two games the ball stopped on him and crept but the pitch wasn't to blame for the last three dismissals. Nevertheless, a good experience to have in the bank. His bowling was awesome, from memory he may have gone for one boundary in like 11 overs in the last 3 games. Shows he has very good control over the lines, length and knows how to tie down the batters. I don't think any Bangladesh players were able to use the feet and hit him over the top. Every time they tried he adjusted the length real nice. Still his bowling is not going to be as acknowledged as very good just because he has good batting skills. That is the bane with all genuine all rounders particularly if you are a batting all rounder. If he was simply a bowler we will be signing praises of him for being a very good foil for Ajaz. I think he will make the test side to India, there's absolutely no doubt.

Ben Sears I have pointed out for a long time has that x factor in him. On his first tour on Bangladesh decks, he showed he can bowl with control, vary his pace, get terrific carry and hustle the batters you know you have a very good bowler on hand. I was worried he'll bowl couple of no balls or wides having seen him bowl so much for firebirds but he showed very good control and rhythm. There will be a lot of rotation going forward due to covid and faster bowlers injuries that's part and parcel and Sears will play lot of cricket. Just hoping they don't pigeon hole him as t20 bowler or white ball bowler, his best format is long format.

Duffy, Kuggs were also awesome for first timers in sub continent. Kuggs was quick and bowled with great control. He can bat too but hasn't had enough opportunity with the bat. Duffy was very smart, not super quick but adapted to those pitches very well right from the word go.

Ajaz, Latham were unbelievable. 10 wickets at like under 4 RPO in t20s is probably the best series he'll ever have. Unfortunately Santner in t20s is as good as they come. I can't see anyone up surging him from the side at least in t20s even though Ajaz is equally good but then he's about 33 as compared to Santner who's 29. The only opportunity Jazzy will have is if we play in sub continent but then chances are Ravindra who's now what 21 and not a bad bowler and a good bat, fielder will be preferred. I guess with this performance Ajaz will nail his place in test cricket at least and here's hoping the management lets go off Santner from long format and let him concentrate on white ball cricket or likely sign up with a county come next year if Santner really wants to get better at red ball cricket and challenge Ajaz. Ajaz ideally should have been in the side ahead of Todd Astle for the t20 wc but I guess they had to go with what options they had prior to this series.

Latham was the only player to score 2 fifties and showed he's probably the best player of spin we have in the country. Even ahead of Kane I suppose. His wicket keeping, captaincy and the way he went about using the bowlers adds to his batting. It felt like he was on a different pitch compared to other batters. If and when Kane gives up captaincy Latham will be ready to go. I think he may have resurrected his t20 career after this series particularly whenever we play in sub-continent in future. The Pakistan t20s will tell us if he has the power game in him when we will likely need to chase 180-200. Pakistan decks are going to be flat as considering they're going to allow the crowd to come in. They are not going to prepare slow, low, turning decks by the looks of it.

Young, Nicholls, Blundell enhanced their reputation to certain extent. Given how good they are probably it was a par series for them both. Young will obviously play fair bit of t20s going forward but I don't think Nicholls and Blundell will feature as much.

I expected Bangladesh to smash us 4-1 but given the deck in the last game and them resting fair number of top players a 3-2 scoreline is more than what I expected of this bunch.

Loved watching Afif bat in the last game, the commentators kept saying he's good but I didn't think he was going by the first few games but boy did he play well in the last inning. I think that was the best knock of the series by either side. Like to see how he will cope with faster pitches and short stuff overseas.

Breath of fresh air watching Taskin Ahmed bowling as well, bowling over 140s and hooping the ball. Shame he has to play on those decks, could be a serious force outside of Bangladesh.

Mehdi is awesome too and Mahmudullah. Didn't get to see the best of Shakib or Mushfiqur. No need to mention Mustafiz I guess, he's like one of the top 5 bowlers in the world in t20 format. All in all, Bangladesh guys looks like lovely bunch of guys. Can't blame them for the pitches, they can only play on what is provided to them and produce results.

The series was much closer than I thought or the score suggests which is a great return for us.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's such a weird quirk in history that someone so disproportionately good at playing spin has ended up an opening batsman who has to play half his games in New Zealand.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is though while he's an exceptionally good player of spin (particularly for a NZer), for the India tour he is a left hander playing against Ravi Ashwin in India. Opening may be the slot where he maximises his runs. Left handers are absolute food for Ashwin in India.

If we're going horses for courses we may need to look at getting Will Young in there in place of perhaps Nicholls or even perhaps Devon Conway.