• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official****NZ condolences thread

Flem274*

123/5
no the boult catch in any jamodi would be called a good attempted stop really. i thought that was going all the way. plus barring his second spell his bowling was excellent. he saved us from an england walk home when 3 off 2 were required.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think Boult's was a terrible mistake and it did cost us the cup. It's a pretty harsh assessment and I love the guy, but that was some meltdown on the boundary.
You can point to lots of things in that match on both sides... The difference is one sides 'normal' mistakes didn't cost in the end and for the other it did cost. Boults mistake there is seen hundreds of times in cricket and not going to put it down to anything else than sportsman are not perfect. Doing something not perfect is not a screw up, screw up is making an uncharacteristic decision/mistake that results in a loss (or tie).

As an example see Klusener trying to take a quick unneeded single when striking the ball so well while batting with no 11; very uncharacteristic of the man. That was a screw up.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Really? That particular play is standard now. I think I'd be disappointed if any player did that in any ODI.
His leg was already in motion as the catch was taken though. Yes in an ideal world he would've halted himself checked the rope and passed it to Guptill, but it all happened in literally a split second. One of those moments that looks a lot worse on slo mo than in real life.

Jezroy

State Captain
His leg was already in motion as the catch was taken though. Yes in an ideal world he would've halted himself checked the rope and passed it to Guptill, but it all happened in literally a split second. One of those moments that looks a lot worse on slo mo than in real life.
He just didn’t know the rope was there. That was the problem.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He just didn’t know the rope was there. That was the problem.
It was always going to be tough for him to know though. He was back-peddling with his eye on the ball. It would've been different if he'd been running around the boundary with the rope in his peripheral vision. But I'm guessing Boult was 5 meters off the boundary to try and prevent a 2, hence the need to move back. He could only really guess about where he was, and where Guptill was. Yeah, it probably should've been taken, but I wouldn't call it regulation either.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think NZ - and all teams really - need to get 2023 planning immediately.
It worked for England in 2015 . The only thing is playing in India isn't going to suit your natural game either , same as England. Have you got much in the way of young spinning allrounders knocking about ?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
my condolences for being the only team ever to not lose the final of the world cup and also not walk away with the trophy

Xuhaib

International Coach
Some members in my family were actually with tears once the match ended yesterday. NZ are always seen like the good guys in cricket and once they disposed of India in the semis I think most Pakistani fans adopted them as their team for the final.

Personally I was supporting England as how England turned their odi fortunes around in four years is a real testament to their desire to improve in this format and its good they capped it off with a world cup win but still massive props for NZ for playing their part to give us the greatest ODI game off all time

Last edited:

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Still really ****ing gutted about this loss. In a couple of days, I'll be over it and pleased for England as I'm a big fan of England and English cricket.

But, for now, I am so gutted for Kane and his boys. What a difficult pill to swallow.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It worked for England in 2015 . The only thing is playing in India isn't going to suit your natural game either , same as England. Have you got much in the way of young spinning allrounders knocking about ?
Santner and Sodhi should still be the relevant spin pairing in four years, unless someone new comes along.

inb4 Flem talks about how great Rachin Ravindra is.

Spikey

Santner and Sodhi should still be the relevant spin pairing in four years, unless someone new comes along.

inb4 Flem talks about how great Rachin Ravindra is.
Smokin' Somers Somerville will only be 38 get him in

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
This morning for a few blissful seconds after I woke up, I didn't remember the cricket and felt pretty happy.

Burgey

You blokes were stiffed mightily. Played a great final and deserved to win it.

Anyway, fwiw, NZ cricket is kicking massive goals - back to back WC finals and performing well in tests too. Not said in a condescending way at all, either, in case people think otherwise. Cricket Australia's set up could do a lot worse than have a close look at all the things your blokes are doing right.

trundler

Pretty **** to have 2 dumb rules go against you when both of them only apply in some weirdly specific scenario no one thought about. Still, ****ing loved how NZ weathered every storm. Incredible. Hoping they win the next one.

add_sauce

Cricket Spectator
Why the condolences? NZ just beat the best in the world.

Yes, the results don't say that, but we all know who kept their cool the best, we all know who won this game.