• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand vs Pakistan 2022/23

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
If only the Cane was our selector.
I stand by my comment. Phillips' inning was a T20 knock in an ODI match. He has no 3rd and 4th gear, Just 1st gear and 5th gear. Great at 4s and 6s but not good at rotating the strike or offside play.
If he is to be in the team it will need to be an icing on the cake closer role rather than part of the top order. Ie a lower middle order player. Our version of Michael Bevan or Lance Kluesner. Every team needs one of those so maybe that is him?
Still feel like once the video analysts study last nights footage they will shut him down by bowling at 6th or 7th stump next time.

However he won the game didn't he and massive guts and determination. It is hard to chase a target and keep your bottle. He played like a champion.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Somethings wrong with Tom's backlift. Have seen him get out to that handcuff length delivery about twenty or thirty times before over the past 6 to 7 years,

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder what's more impressive,, his ability to strike the ball the way he did yesterday or his running between wickets.

There were 3-4 occasions last night where the ball went to outfield and I was convinced it was going to be a single but it wasn't.
Yep and that was Phillips under the weather yet still fastest between the sticks than anyone else... freaky twitch fibres this guy has

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
I wonder what's more impressive,, his ability to strike the ball the way he did yesterday or his running between wickets.

There were 3-4 occasions last night where the ball went to outfield and I was convinced it was going to be a single but it wasn't.
He should have faced the last ball in the 2019 world cup super over instead of Guptil. Maybe Glenn would have made it back for two.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
I reckon if they did a charity auction soon that Kane's jandals he wears to the pressers could get $5 to $10K easy.
Same pair it seems every tour.

Mike5181

International Captain
I stand by my comment. Phillips' inning was a T20 knock in an ODI match. He has no 3rd and 4th gear, Just 1st gear and 5th gear. Great at 4s and 6s but not good at rotating the strike or offside play.
If he is to be in the team it will need to be an icing on the cake closer role rather than part of the top order. Ie a lower middle order player. Our version of Michael Bevan or Lance Kluesner. Every team needs one of those so maybe that is him?
Still feel like once the video analysts study last nights footage they will shut him down by bowling at 6th or 7th stump next time.

However he won the game didn't he and massive guts and determination. It is hard to chase a target and keep your bottle. He played like a champion.
He's played nearly 70 internationals and in T20 comps all around the world. They are a bit late if they haven't looked at footage of him yet.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Worth noting at the time Mitchell got out the equation was 120 off 19 with 8 wickets in hand, pretty much stuffed it up. It took an outrageous knock from Phillips to get NZ over the line. But apart from that, in this series the middle order tended to fold whenever Pakistan applied a of bit pressure. That's something to address in th WC build-up.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Worth noting at the time Mitchell got out the equation was 120 off 19 with 8 wickets in hand, pretty much stuffed it up. It took an outrageous knock from Phillips to get NZ over the line. But apart from that, in this series the middle order tended to fold whenever Pakistan applied a of bit pressure. That's something to address in th WC build-up.
If you were in charge what would you recommend as a remedy Moss?

Days of Grace

International Captain
he's not the first quick bowler to get injured.

whoever convinced our first good left arm swing bowler since collinge to take up batting full time should be shot. then run over. then forced to watch the harbhajan tons on repeat in hell.
Shayne O’Connor was pretty good before he too was rect with injuries.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Could be wrong, but I thought he retired on the young side due to career choices, don't remember him suffering a lot of injuries when he was playing.
Bit of both, had a bad injury a season before retiring but as far as I know he retired healthy

Moss

International Vice-Captain
If you were in charge what would you recommend as a remedy Moss?
As a remedy? I suppose I’d work with them on taking smarter options and playing the percentages better in these situations. For example, Mitchell’s fallen at least a couple of times to the reverse sweep on this tour, if it’s going to remain a go-to shot I would work with him on how to employ it better. KW’s run out was again a panicky run when NZ were actually on top (2 or 3 tight overs from the spinners shouldn’t be a cause for alarm). Macewell almost ran himself out too immediately after that, I would be definitely telling him he needs to trust his ability to survive and get an innings going without taking unnecessary risks.

Also think it’s important to allow yourself a look at the opposition bowlers and know when to see them off. Latham again played a low-percentage shot of the first ball of Wasim’s new spell and got himself out, Phillips was struggling against the legspin and should have just played out Usama’s final ball (thankfully Rizwan dropped it). All Understandable if RRR is 10 an over, not when it’s run-a-ball needed.

Yeah that’s a lot of hot air I know. But hey, it’s not me they’re paying to implement any of this.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
There's an article about Ish Sodhi where he talks about things "clicking" for him after his forgettable first innings bowling effort in the first test. Basically realised he was trying to bowl the same as Ajax and Bracewell i.e. "disciplined line and length" or something to that effect

I mean, it sounds like the coaching staff and captain don't have a plan and just let the bowlers figure it out. Wouldn't you say before the test "hey these two finger spinners will be doing this, maybe you should be ripping it and attack as a point of difference?". I've often wondered if, under Stead, the team has been a that of individuals with their own game without much cohesive guidance overall as to how they should be executing plans together.