• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't have a problem with any aspect of Bazball except the first innings declarations. It's not positive or attacking, all it does is help the opposition.
It was definitely an unnecessary contributing factor in this defeat.
Yeah there’s nothing wrong with their approach at all, because apart from Root and Stokes, there’s little to no evidence any of their top six is capable of occupying the crease in challenging conditions.

To play through the line and be aggressive suits their style and plays to their strengths, because a lot of their blokes aren’t capable of defending a decent spell of bowling in tough conditions.

The issue for them will be when they’re faced with a good attack on moving wickets. They’ve beaten a laughable Pakistan side, drew with an aged gelding of a NZ team and even WI and SA took a test off them.

It’s very entertaining to watch though. Got to give them that. There will be nothing wrong with the run rate when they keep making 130 all out in 25 overs come the Ashes.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
Stokes has made it very clear in the past that he has no interest in drawn test matches. I can't say I agree with the philosophy because surely a drawn test here and a series win is a far better result than a lost test and drawn series?

But having said that I honestly don't have overly strong feelings on it. I said at the start of this bazball that Eng are going to loose test matches that they never should but will also win plenty they've got no right to win. You can't argue with the results of the last few months and if it's all about providing entertainment to the punters then they're doing that in spades.

So im really not "that" dissapointed in loosing this one......congrats to NZ who hung in there and gave themselves a chance to be in with a shout at the end, which they grabbed.

Unbelievable test match and cricket is the winner here. How would it be in the changeroom now!! Ill bet both camps have come together and the party will go forever. Love to see it.
Very measured post

Niall

International Coach
Yeah totally agree was such a bizarre decision. I remember us enforcing it in 2005 at Trent Bridge. Jones goes down injured fielding and never gets back in test team again
England also in that position have the perfect batting line up to quickly set New Zealand a score of 450+ which in a fourth inning chase is a remarkably difficult thing to achieve.

The follow on was funky for the sake of been funky.

Burgey

Unbelievable test match and cricket is the winner here. How would it be in the changeroom now!! Ill bet both camps have come together and the party will go forever. Love to see i
Yeah I got the impression both sides seemed pretty thrilled to have put that game on. Seems a pretty good level of friendship and respect between the teams.

Which is another reason why neither will ever be number one. You need hatred to fuel your performances. This is test cricket Ffs, not series one of Ted Lasso (which I thoroughly enjoyed tbh).

Burgey

England also in that position have the perfect batting line up to quickly set New Zealand a score of 450+ which in a fourth inning chase is a remarkably difficult thing to achieve.

I don’t think Stokes would have gone within a bulls roar of enforcing it if NZ hadn’t rolled over so abjectly in the first test. Shades of Waugh 2001 in that regard

Daemon

Anderson must be gutted. Similar to the SL loss back in 2014 where he got out in the last over.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I don’t think Stokes would have gone within a bulls roar of enforcing it if NZ hadn’t rolled over so abjectly in the first test. Shades of Waugh 2001 in that regard
Yeah good point, possibly a bit of hubris in there given NZ ‘s top order had been miserable for 3 innings straight. Though I guess the forecast also may have had a part to play.

Burgey

Can we talked about the pachyderm in the room please?

The fact is many England fans are unfazed by the loss of such an epic test.

Now, what does that tell us about how other teams rate the importance of beating NZ? :ph34r:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Follow on was the right decision with the weather forecast and overhead conditions when NZ followed on. Conway and Latham were too good and laid a platform.

NZ could've chased 500 at the Basin.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Can we talked about the pachyderm in the room please?

The fact is many England fans are unfazed by the loss of such an epic test.

Now, what does that tell us about how other teams rate the importance of beating NZ? :ph34r:
I was going to tell you to stay classy and nows not the time for that etc. But since they've decided to get stuck into Jimmy......**** em!!

Of course you're right......Stokes pulls a stunt of a follow on like that in the Ashes and ill be spending time in an 8x4 gaol cell myself!

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Team of the series?

1. B Duckett
2. D Conway
3. K Williamson (for one innings really)
4. J Root
5. H Brook
6. D Mitchell
7. T Blundell+
8. M Henry
9. J Leach
10. S Broad
11. J Anderson