• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Southee is getting old too. Henry should step up soon as leader of the attack with Jamieson and Milne to support him. That will be a strong 3 man attack. Nathan Smith and Macewell can be the bowling allrounders.
Milne hasn't played a 1st class match since 2018 so that won't happen. Until Ben Sears is ready if they a fastish bowler, it will have to be Tickner.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
There is an article on stuff.co.nz (NZ news site) saying that Tickner's father house (where Blair grew up) was totally destroyed by the cyclone that the North Island. Between the 2 tests BT and Will Young have spent time working to help people in that area, although Tickner unfortunately got a digger stuck in some mud.

Daniel CC

School Boy/Girl Captain
There is an article on stuff.co.nz (NZ news site) saying that Tickner's father house (where Blair grew up) was totally destroyed by the cyclone that the North Island. Between the 2 tests BT and Will Young have spent time working to help people in that area, although Tickner unfortunately got a digger stuck in some mud.
He's come a long way since Pop Idol

Howe_zat

Audio File
I wonder if he has the most separate periods ranked #1. This is the 5th time he has got there.
So I looked at it's not close, even for just a 21st century bowlers only - I underestimated how much jockeying there was in the 2000s rankings when you would have thought Murali was consistently ranked #1. Pollock and Murali were both ranked #1 six times. McGrath was ranked #1 8 times.

Ambrose is the most I can find overall with 10 separate terms as #1 in the world - pretty much bounced between #1 and #2 for every year of his career.

Molehill

International Captain
So I looked at it's not close, even for just a 21st century bowlers only - I underestimated how much jockeying there was in the 2000s rankings when you would have thought Murali was consistently ranked #1. Pollock and Murali were both ranked #1 six times. McGrath was ranked #1 8 times.

Ambrose is the most I can find overall with 10 separate terms as #1 in the world - pretty much bounced between #1 and #2 for every year of his career.
Interestingly, when Jimmy made his Test debut, the Top 5 were Pollock, McGrath, Murali, Warne, Harbhajan.

His current rating of 866 would've been good enough for 2nd in that group (Pollock 872, McGrath 862).

Also just read that Jimmy is the 5th oldest bowler to top the bowler's rankings. The oldest was Bert Ironmonger at 50y 10m in Feb 1933!!

nick-o

State 12th Man

Incidentally, if it's not too much to ask, what is the timespan between his first and most recent #1 ranking, and how does that compare to others?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Incidentally, if it's not too much to ask, what is the timespan between his first and most recent #1 ranking, and how does that compare to others?
Anderson was first ranked #1 in August 2016, so it's not that long. He had previously twice peaked at #2 behind Steyn.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Southee is getting old too. Henry should step up soon as leader of the attack with Jamieson and Milne to support him. That will be a strong 3 man attack. Nathan Smith and Macewell can be the bowling allrounders.
Don’t think Milne’s played any fc cricket for the better part of a decade.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
He's come a long way since Pop Idol
You could have made that post at any stage of the England tour (he even played in the warm up game). To do it after a post discussing destruction (and there have been a number of deaths as well) is extremely insensitive and ill thought out.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
You could have made that post at any stage of the England tour (he even played in the warm up game). To do it after a post discussing destruction (and there have been a number of deaths as well) is extremely insensitive and ill thought out.
Sorry for poking my nose in here, but I just thought it fair to point out that the other poster was responding to your comment about the cyclone which you concluded with the words, "although Tickner unfortunately got a digger stuck in some mud.".

I interpreted this as an attempt at humour, but perhaps I was wrong there? I can't imagine that you'd tick someone off for replying to your cyclone related joke with a non-cyclone related joke?

Regardless, from what little I saw I thought Tickner showed a lot of potential for a debutant. I also wish him and his family and all those affected by the cyclone well.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yuck it's going to be miserable weather throughout the first three days of the test. Will probably get some play, but the southerly will be in full cry throughout the first two days. Whoever has the bad luck of bowling from the RA Vance stand end is going to look like they've been through a car crash by the end of the test.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry for poking my nose in here, but I just thought it fair to point out that the other poster was responding to your comment about the cyclone which you concluded with the words, "although Tickner unfortunately got a digger stuck in some mud.".

I interpreted this as an attempt at humour, but perhaps I was wrong there? I can't imagine that you'd tick someone off to replying to your cyclone related joke with a non-cyclone related joke?

Regardless, from what little I saw I thought Tickner showed a lot of potential for a debutant. I also wish him and his family and all those affected by the cyclone well.
My comment wasn't a joke, but on checking the article again I see it was actually a loader he'd been driving which got stuck (not a digger).

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yuck it's going to be miserable weather throughout the first three days of the test. Will probably get some play, but the southerly will be in full cry throughout the first two days. Whoever has the bad luck of bowling from the RA Vance stand end is going to look like they've been through a car crash by the end of the test.
First day looks dodgy but probably still some play, with the second day the crap one. Sunday looks fine so long as it's not waterlogged.