• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why was a player and a fielder of calibre of lou vincent overlooked for the Odi team....
Was there any particular reason......

Last edited:

Ming

State 12th Man
Fielding alone should not get you into an ODI team.

J and H Marshall, Cumming, Wilson are very good fieldsmen anywya.

Fiery

Banned
dudeurfriend said:
Why was a player and a fielder of calibre of lou vincent overlokked for the Odi team....
Was there any particular reason......
Vincent's ODI record is very ordinary. 60 odd games averaging 20 odd, strike rate under 60. He's lucky to get another shot at test cricket because of the injuries and some good innings in domestic cricket recently. He'll add energy and athleticism in the field and has plenty of talent with the bat so hope he does well.

Darrin

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
anzac said:
just a small observation re where the respective seam attacks are coming from..........

AUS has 4 aggresive seamers all of whom are in form and taking wickets vying for 3 positions in a 4 man attack, and all of whom are bowling at 135 kph+.......

NZL is looking to possibly line up 3 moderate seamers whose form is questionable in a 5 man attack, and possibly only 1 of the seamers will reach 135 kph with any regularity.........

AUS = front foot / attacking
NZL = back foot / defensive
I get a bit tired of people quoting speeds like some sort of mantra. They are not. Good bowling is very much about tight bowling. The control of line and length. That was the one thing that lacked in our bowling display in the 4th ODI, we were all over the place. This is not to say that i want a team of Gavin Larsen's out there, i don't. But the best bowler over the last 10 years happens to be a medium-fast seam bowler called Glenn Mcgrath. Who just methodically puts the ball in good areas which provides problems for the batsmen.

Darrin

anzac said:
I can't see them going with a 6-4 split because of the bowling temors..............and certainly not with just Astle & Macca as back ups................

if they do go with a 5-5 split then I hope Macca is 12th man as I'm a bit miffed at how easily he has made his way back into both the ODI & Test sides ahead of Sinclair.........(I remeber saying that Sinclair would become the sacrificial bunny so that Macca could be brought back into the teams when we were in AUS)................sure Macca has performed well enough at domestic level, but I'm ****ed that Sinclair has had to play out of position & is now paying for it................

I also think that O'Brien is likely to get a start otherwise what's the point in making such a call from the blue if he's only going to carry the drinks????????
I expect them to go in with a 6-4 split. Its just too risky with no-oram & styris. I think they will err on the side of the batting. Also Mcmillan is a senior player, he'll be expected to perform. Otherwise, you have Mccullum at 6, vettori 7, and a very long looking tail which places even more pressure on fleming,astle, etc.

Darrin

anzac said:
I also think that O'Brien is a bit of a 'horses for cources' selection...........

*local lad so is used to bowling into the 'gale' at The Basin - something the NZL bowlers did not do too well last time out v RSA..................
and something perhaps Mills may have struggled with................
leaving Martin & Franklin to have use of 'the gale'.................
and if he is a workhorse then he can also provide 'cover' if Franklin gets the yips & is carted by Langer again...........
Anzac, its ' horses for courses'. Check you spelling. Lol

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Josh said:
Kasprowicz is almost expected to be dropped amongst the Australian media.
Because they are mostly NSW based. If Kaspa was going to be dropped, it would have been for the Perth test.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
mavric41 said:
Because they are mostly NSW based. If Kaspa was going to be dropped, it would have been for the Perth test.

yep, the only reason he hasn't taken more wickets is because McGrath is bowling too damn well ;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
mavric41 said:
I expect Lee to be picked as well. Not absolutely certain on the matter, but it seems very likely to me, especially after listening to Border talk about selection during the last ODI. The selectors recognise that Lee needs to be given another chance, and will offer it to him I think.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
username1234 said:
marc, that's a pretty stupid post surely you can work out that indian's are culturally and geneticly completely differnt to nz/aus.
Completely different genetically?

Are you kidding?

Even the objective standards by which we can subdivide ethnic groups genetically are mostly superficial, and even then, europeans and south asians belong to the same group.

A case can be made for a socioeconomic reason behind India's failure to fully exploit their numerical superiority, but not a biological reason.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I expect Lee to be picked as well. Not absolutely certain on the matter, but it seems very likely to me, especially after listening to Border talk about selection during the last ODI. The selectors recognise that Lee needs to be given another chance, and will offer it to him I think.
What has Kaspa done wrong? He has performed sensationally since being given another chance. If he gets dumped it will be one of the biggest selection travestys ever. And all influenced by the NSW media who are paid by Lee's commercial interests. i don't blame Brett Lee, but obviously his backers feel like they are not getting value for dollar if he is not in the test team.

I've got no problem if Brett Lee has posed an irresitable case AND Kaspa has been bowling poorly - but its hardly the case in this situation.

Last edited:

Josh

International Regular
mavric41 said:
What has Kaspa done wrong? He has performed sensationally since being given another chance. If he gets dumped it will be one of the biggest selection travestys ever. And all influenced by the NSW media who are paid by Lee's commercial interests. i don't blame Brett Lee, but obviously his backers feel like they are not getting value for dollar if he is not in the test team.
Kasprowicz has done nothing wrong, but it's just the way it goes... That's cricket. You don't really have to do anything wrong and you can still be flung out of contention. Brett's bowling ****ing superbly and they want to see if he can carry it into the red-ball game.

Plus Lee's a better bat than Kasper :D

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Josh said:
Kasprowicz has done nothing wrong, but it's just the way it goes... That's cricket. You don't really have to do anything wrong and you can still be flung out of contention. Brett's bowling ****ing superbly and they want to see if he can carry it into the red-ball game.

Plus Lee's a better bat than Kasper :D
Bowling superbly? He's finally getting them on the pitch and taking some ODI wickets - as shown with Bracken and Williams this doesn't mean anything with regards to tests.

p.s. With McGrath in such superb form why would we need Lee's batting? :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
mavric41 said:
Bowling superbly? He's finally getting them on the pitch and taking some ODI wickets
A massive understatement. He has been clearly on par with McGrath as Australia's best bowler through the entire ODI summer. Outbowling Gillespie and Kasprowicz is nothing to be scoffed at.

And frankly, given that the selection panel is dominated by non-NSW people now and there are were only two New South Wales players in the last test XI (likely to be at least three and maybe four in the next one), it's rather ridiculous to blame this on state bias.

Last edited:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
A massive understatement. He has been clearly on par with McGrath as Australia's best bowler through the entire ODI summer. Outbowling Gillespie and Kasprowicz is nothing to be scoffed at.

And frankly, given that the selection panel is dominated by non-NSW people now and there are were only two New South Wales players in the last test XI (likely to be at least three and maybe four in the next one), it's rather ridiculous to blame this on state bias.
State bias no - media bias - yes.

12th Man

U19 12th Man
I wanted NZ to win the ODI's, but with the World Cup groups i want Aus to win match 5. So the mighty england get NZ instead of sri lanka

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
mavric41 said:

I've got no problem if Brett Lee has posed an irresitable case AND Kaspa has been bowling poorly - but its hardly the case in this situation.
Kaspa's not the incumbent - he was left out of the final test vs Pak.