• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of Sri Lanka 2019

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Nah the big unknown is how much play we'll get in, so need to start with the thing we absolutely must do to win i.e. take ten wickets. Just have to take our chances with a small chase at the end of the day.

Infuriating weather though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Nah the big unknown is how much play we'll get in, so need to start with the thing we absolutely must do to win i.e. take ten wickets. Just have to take our chances with a small chase at the end of the day.

Infuriating weather though.
All depends on the forecast. If they're confident of getting 90+ overs in, I'd bat on for another hour (tell BJ to either pull finger or retire out) and look to scrabble together another 75ish runs. It'd be easier to do it first thing in the morning than in the murk of this evening. Look to win by an innings, knowing that if we can't bowl SL out within 80 overs we'll have no chance of winning anyway.

If on the other hand it's looking like intermittent showers throughout the day, then yeah, declare now and hope for the unlikely scenario where Soult and the spinners roll them for a 100.

Covers are off and there's a bit of blue sky around, but we'll probably have a delayed start according to NZC's twitter account.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, I hear we are going to keep batting. I just don't see how we could have enough confidence that the rain and bad light will stay away to do that.

Do they think it will be demoralising for SL?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, I hear we are going to keep batting. I just don't see how we could have enough confidence that the rain and bad light will stay away to do that.

Do they think it will be demoralising for SL?
They don't have to stay batting for long. If they do this right, stay out there for 10 overs, rack up 70+ runs it could save us a couple of overs related to a changeover later in the day. Also it'll be a lot easier to bash runs against a tired attack this morning then if they've had the morning and afternoon to rest up. Not an easy decision to make, but bowling SL out for under 130 in 50ish overs is a bit of a pipe dream in my opinion, so I think it's probably the right way to go.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yay Watling well deserved.

Reckon 3 more overs after this one and then declare no matter what.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yay Watling well deserved.

Reckon 3 more overs after this one and then declare no matter what.
I think the psychology of a 200+ lead is worth another 7 overs imo

Though at this rate they'll only need 3 to get there

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Nice one Watling, potentially very valuable knock. Bat till drinks IMO, then try to recreate final day scenario of last year's Abu Dhabi test. Of couse Lanka are far less likely to implode and the weather will be a factor too.

The Hutt Rec

Surprised they didn’t bat on a bit longer in the end!

Edit: duh, this gives them a few overs with the second new ball, so good call I suppose.

Last edited:

Moss

Would have batted on for a bit longer but there's no telling how much play you'll actually get in, I suppose.

Perfect from the test match six machine, hope he's suitably keyed up with the new ball too.