• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Zimbabwe & Zimbabwe/New Zealand/India ODI Tri-Series

cricket player

International Debutant
It might not,but the point I am trying to make here is,

Dont take a team that easy when you have already faced a defeat from!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cricket player said:
Dont forget my new zealand friends,

That zimbabwe beat the crap out of new zealand a few years back beating them in the odi series,
By "beat the crap out of", do you mean the 1 wicket win in the last game in Auckland?

That was an amazing game I agree (man it hurt to be at the ground for that one), but the top scorer for Zimbabwe was the champion Andy Flower, who of course no longer plays for Zimbabwe, and in case you hadn't noticed, they have sadly gone sharply downhill since that great game.

Must say I'm fully opposed to the series (I'm a Politics student, what do you expect?) so even if it is on Sky I may choose not to watch it.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The line up I'd like to see, but probably won't, for the tests. Obviousley give other rookie players a run in the tour matches...

1. Cumming
2. J Marshall
3. H Marshall
4. Vincent/Styris
5. Fleming (c)
6. McCullum (wk)
7. Oram/Styris (if not at No 4)
8. Vettori
9. Mills
10. Franklin
11. Bond

Alright! Pick it to pieces!

sportychic33

State 12th Man
my test team. . .

1. Cumming
} give them enough goes - need consistent opening partnership.
2. J Marshall
3. H Marshall - no questions asked, he is the one player who has his spot in tact
4. S Fleming
5. S Styris - was the incumbent before injury, give a chance to prove fitness.
6. J Oram - should be there as a batsmen at least see how comfortable he is with his bowling. hopefully he plays as an allrounder. needs to get overs under his belt
7. B McCullum
8. D Vettori
9. J Franklin
10.S Bond - i think he is ready to return to international cricket - needs to keep getting games under his belt
11.C Martin - i prefer him over mills anyday!! need to keep bowling him and see how he goes, if not performing probably will go with mills.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
cricket player said:
It might not,but the point I am trying to make here is,

Dont take a team that easy when you have already faced a defeat from!
The team is the same in name alone, Bob.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
sportychic33 said:
my test team. . .

5. S Styris - was the incumbent before injury, give a chance to prove fitness.

I'm a huge fan of Styris, but I can't see them leaving out Vincent after his last performance.

NZTailender

Macka said:
I'm a huge fan of Styris, but I can't see them leaving out Vincent after his last performance.
Yeha it's hard to go past that. How has he been in domestic? I haven't been following, TBH.

Actually, it'd be a hard call between Styris and Oram. In my mind, they're about level, but Oram is also left handed so that mixes things up a bit.

Oh, the dilemma!

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
:)
NZTailender said:
Yeha it's hard to go past that. How has he been in domestic? I haven't been following, TBH.

Actually, it'd be a hard call between Styris and Oram. In my mind, they're about level, but Oram is also left handed so that mixes things up a bit.

Oh, the dilemma!
Yeah.. the main selection headache will be who to leave out with Styris, Astle, Oram and Vincent effectively taking two spots. It will be a toss-up between Oram and Vincent at 6, and i think Astle will play as he has a very strong record against Zimbabwe in both forms of the game.

If they are looking at their strongest team all-round, then Vincent would surely be chosen instead of Oram. Only due to the fact that Vincent has been performing well recently and is match fit (batting wise). Oram could be selected purely to get some batting time before the one-dayers, as i'm not sure he would bowl much so early in his comeback.

The team i think will be chosen:

Cumming
J Marshall
H Marshall
Fleming
Astle
Vincent
McCullum
Vettori
J Franklin
Bond
Martin

Bond and Martin to take the new ball, with Franklin first change. Vettori and Astle complete the slow bowling options. That should be enough firepower you would think. When Oram is back to full-time bowling, it should provide Fleming with more than enough quality bowling options.

That's my two cents :D

I'l ring Sky's head office today and make sure i get the full details about what they are covering. (Cue crusading music) ;)

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
If Vincent and Oram are both fully fit, I wouldn't be picking Vincent...
My point is that Oram isnt fully bowling AND batting fit.. so if they were both playing as batsmen.. its a tough call i know.

So assuming Oram wouldn't bowl (he only bowled a few in the Emerging Players tournament, 5 overs for 11 runs) you would have him over Vincent?

Normally Oram would slot straight back in i agree.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
NZTailender said:

I'm not entirely sure how Vincent has been going to date, but superkingdave posted in the Generic Black Caps thread saying 'Vincent's form has picked up, he scored 144 last weekend He now has 490@ 45.90 and 34wickets@16.62.' That was up until July 4.

AndrewM said:
My point is that Oram isnt fully bowling AND batting fit.. so if they were both playing as batsmen.. its a tough call i know.

So assuming Oram wouldn't bowl (he only bowled a few in the Emerging Players tournament, 5 overs for 11 runs) you would have him over Vincent?

Normally Oram would slot straight back in i agree.
AndrewM has a makes a good point: Oram has only played a handfull of 20- and 50-over matches recently. He's definitely not match fit. Plus, he barely bowled in those games, although his batting didn't seem too bad. Vincent is a certainty for mine and a fully fit Oram would make the playing XI every time. Styris on the other hand, has been playing a lot of cricket, but hasn't exactly been in-form with the bat. It's a tough decision, though. I'm just not sure Vincent is ever going to be left out of the Test XI after scoring a double-century in the previous game.

Last edited:

NZTailender

Yeah, but he shouldn't be batting at six in the order. I would say fourth, but Fleming, for my mind, bats best there, with Astle at fifth. So where do you put Vincent? At six, where I'd rather have an all round player like Oram.

Vincent is great at 4, though...Astle at 5th.

Perhaps something like this:

1. Cumming
2. J Marshall
3. H Marshall
4. Vincent
5. Fleming
6. Astle
7. Oram
8. McCullum
9. Vettori
10. Franklin
11. Bond

Or do you put Oram in at six, leave out Vincent and shuffle them upwards, brinhing in another quick bowler? Then there's also Styris.

I guess it's a matter of who's in domestic form vs who's not and how they fare in some tour matches.

Vincent averages 14 at 6th, while 59 at 4th..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if your leaving Oram out on that basis, then surely Bond should be left out as well?

Blaze

Banned
Bond has been bowling for ages though.. I think he even played about 4 first class games for Canterbury so it is kind of diferent

Blaze

Banned
For me Styris doesn't play. Vincent has to play with his last score being a double century and Oram needs to ease back in at international level. Zimbabwe is the best opportunity for him to do this

NZTailender

You're right Tim. Would have to see how he performs up until then compared with Martin, Mills, Butler even...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
AndrewM said:
I wasn't aware of that actually.

However, I would still be tempted to pick him at 6 to bowl a few overs if required.

Firstly because it's only Zimbabwe, but also because if Vincent gets a bat and scores big - the selectors will then have a huge call on their hands.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Just been watching TV3 and there's nothing but good news regarding Bond's fitness. He came through the Emerging Players' Tournament well over in Oz. No soreness the days after play.

I think Fleming will play at 4 in the order. Whether or not he should be there is another question. He's been at 4 for his county, too. Astle seems like he one of the selectors' favourties, so I think he will start. Vincent should be at 5 because Astle is a faster scorer than Vincent, who can score very quickly, but does need time at the crease to do so. Astle at 6; Oram may well play, but I think the lead-in games will reveal more about Bracewell's intentions.

The middle-order looks good with players competing for positions. However, the real concern, as always, is the top-order. Specifically the openers - both of who will be looking for very solid performances to justify being picked.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Firstly because it's only Zimbabwe, but also because if Vincent gets a bat and scores big - the selectors will then have a huge call on their hands.
They already do to an extent; Vincent scored a double-century in the last Test New Zealand played. He has to play. Surely. Is Boycott the only person to be dropped after scoing a double-century? Could be wrong about that, but Vincent will start.

Last edited: