• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Zimbabwe and South Africa 2015

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
They're about Devcich class if memory serves.
Well at the end of the day Anton is probably a better bowler than he is a batsman, so the comparison to Devcich isn't a Diss. And probably you didn't intend it to be one. I don't see why Worker can't be a 6th or 7th bowling option on this tour.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Worker had 538 runs at 48.9 last List A season which is better than I'd imagined - still pegged as someone who flatters to deceive in my mind though. I guess it doesn't hurt to give him some JAMODIs.

Flem274*

123/5
Worker is a very good Ford Trophy player tbh. I'm not confident, but he deserves a crack especially since we've given worse players than him ODIs.

What's interestin is he's replacing Santner, suggesting they're just as interested in his bowling as his batting. Possible role change from opener who bowls a bit to spin bowling #6?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Worker is a very good Ford Trophy player tbh. I'm not confident, but he deserves a crack especially since we've given worse players than him ODIs.

What's interestin is he's replacing Santner, suggesting they're just as interested in his bowling as his batting. Possible role change from opener who bowls a bit to spin bowling #6?
Nah well Devcich is out with injury as well ftr. You'd be looking at Hira or Cole McConchie as the only spinners left (I can think of) with the batting ability to whack a 30 in an ODI, and even Hesson wouldn't really want to hear Wessels and Haysman in the comm box chortling to each other about Hira's batting style.

I think the primary attraction of Worker here is his savage pull shot, and KW will end up bowling more overs than Worker does.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Nah well Devcich is out with injury as well ftr. You'd be looking at Hira or Cole McConchie as the only spinners left (I can think of) with the batting ability to whack a 30 in an ODI, and even Hesson wouldn't really want to hear Wessels and Haysman in the comm box chortling to each other about Hira's batting style.

I think the primary attraction of Worker here is his savage pull shots, and KW will end up bowling more overs than Worker does.
It's entirely possible they'll rely on Sodhi for the Zimbabwe series as the spinner (they might've anyway, who knows) and NcCullum for the Saffers series. Worker may just be there to bat.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
It's entirely possible they'll rely on Sodhi for the Zimbabwe series as the spinner (they might've anyway, who knows) and NcCullum for the Saffers series. Worker may just be there to bat.

Yeah KW won't be escaping to the safety of a tighter pitch map if he favours Worker over bowling Sodhi or himself.

NZTailender

That's the most extravagant action for someone who ends up bowling a medium paced seamers delivery.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
If anyone can predict the teams for the first Zimbabwe-NZ ODI I will run a simulation. I'm guessing the BCs will be

1. Guptill
2. Latham
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Elliott
6. Neesham
7. Ronchi
8. Worker?
9. Wheeler
10. Henry
11. Milne

NZTailender

If anyone can predict the teams for the first Zimbabwe-NZ ODI I will run a simulation. I'm guessing the BCs will be

1. Guptill
2. Latham
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Elliott
6. Neesham
7. Ronchi
8. Worker?
9. Wheeler
10. Henry
11. Milne
Nah reckon Sodhi will play instead of Worker at 8.

Otherwise he'd probably open; we may see: Worker, Guptill, Williamson, Taylor, Latham, Elliott, Ronchi, Neesham, Wheeler/Sodhi, Henry, Milne.

Although at some point we'll probably see something like Guptill, Latham, Williamson, Taylor, Elliott, Neesham, Ronchi, Worker, NcCullum, Henry, McClenaghan

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ervine will probably be back in the lower middle-order. Panyangara "two weeks of extensive physio on a muscle tear" with the hope of being available. Some calls on the Zim cricket forum for a Chibhabha/Raza opening combo, so it's still a bit up in the air in their opinion.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Black Caps look to blood new players in South Africa and Zimbabwe | Stuff.co.nz

In the absence of McCullum, Tom Latham will open the batting with Martin Guptill - just reward for a man who has done a lot of watching over the past year. Latham last played in an ODI in January, against Pakistan.

"Tom has been a bit of a campaigner for us. He has travelled around a lot and hasn't played a lot, particularly in one spot, so I would like to give him some extended opportunities there," Hesson said.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Joylord Gumbie now hitting massive FC tons in Zimbabwe I see. I presume he's still a long way from international honours, but Benchy will be thrilled.

Who was the black seamer in that Unmukt Chand video who kept bowling short and wide, Cribbage? Luke Jongwe or Cuthbert Musoko?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Musoko bowling three years ago, a guy a lot of the Zim forum's members want to see debut, with their 9am starts and new Duke ball. Only 18 in that footage, but they may also be getting a bit desperate for 130+ heat.