• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I do. I wonder the extent to which Wagner's ability to bowl enormous unbroken spells has played a part in Southee and Boult retaining fitness and effectiveness for as long as they have over the past 2 years, and when he's bowling well he really isn't far from being the 3rd best seamer in the country anyway. If Henry continues to pitch it 5 m short of the length that he should then Wagner should come back in pretty quick.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Macca is staying on for another year I'm happy.

Unxder his captaincy 3rd in tests abnd 3rd in ODis.

Well done.

I just dont understand why everyone dislikes him ??? We have had years and years of dross served up by the Blackcaps since the 80s in test matches apart from one or shining highlights i.e 1999 in England and 2011 in Hobart. Yet people still are not satisfied want him to quit. Amazing. Just amazing,.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Guptill | Latham | Williamson (c) | Taylor | Watling (wk) | Anderson (5) | Neesham (6) | Santner (4) | Southee (2) | Henry (3) | Boult (1) ........ Milne | Sodhi |

13 of your 15 man 2019 World Cup squad. Take it to the bank.
1. M Guptill
2. H Nicholls
3. K Williamson*
4. R Taylor
5. CJ Anderson
6. M Santner
7. T Seifert+
8. J Neesham
9. M Henry
10. T Southee
11. T Boult

12. A Milne
13. I Sodhi
14. T Latham+
15. W Young

imo

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I do. I wonder the extent to which Wagner's ability to bowl enormous unbroken spells has played a part in Southee and Boult retaining fitness and effectiveness for as long as they have over the past 2 years, and when he's bowling well he really isn't far from being the 3rd best seamer in the country anyway. If Henry continues to pitch it 5 m short of the length that he should then Wagner should come back in pretty quick.
yup.

Obviously much lower ceiling than everyone in contention, but you can't pick a side based on potential. Henry, Duffy, and Milne (in increasing order of pie-in-the-sky) are who we want to be there eventually

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. M Guptill
2. H Nicholls
3. K Williamson*
4. R Taylor
5. CJ Anderson
6. M Santner
7. T Seifert+
8. J Neesham
9. M Henry
10. T Southee
11. T Boult

12. A Milne
13. I Sodhi
14. T Latham+
15. W Young

imo
Wellington to surprise and provide half a player at least to the squad. Some semi-retired anti-hack. I'm Picking PAPPS.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Wellington to surprise and provide half a player at least to the squad. Some semi-retired anti-hack. I'm Picking PAPPS.
In a bizarre 2019, perhaps the same universe as described by PEWS where there is a CW with no infraction points, England and Wales is ravaged by BNP terrorist attacks in attempts to make their country unattractive to foreigners. The core squad of NZ players decide to boycott due to safety concerns but the NZC, wanting to keep their Cayman Islands accounts overflowing after deciding to scrap playing Tests altogether for four 7 match ODI home series decide to cobble together a squad of old hands and also rans.

Ladies and gentleman, your 2019 WC Squad:

1. M Papps
2. G Worker
3. A Devcich
4. N Broom
5. C de Grandhomme
6. K Noema-Barnett
7. C Munro+
8. A Ellis
9. D Grobbelaar
10. S Kuggeleijn
11. T Nethula

12. M Bates
13. B Cachopa+
14. D Flynn
15. JJ Boult

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In a bizarre 2019, perhaps the same universe as described by PEWS where there is a CW with no infraction points, England and Wales is ravaged by BNP terrorist attacks in attempts to make their country unattractive to foreigners. The core squad of NZ players decide to boycott due to safety concerns but the NZC, wanting to keep their Cayman Islands accounts overflowing after deciding to scrap playing Tests altogether for four 7 match ODI home series decide to cobble together a squad of old hands and also rans.
Clearly missing the 5th renaissance of Jimmy Franklin and Jeets

Athlai

Not Terrible
Clearly missing the 5th renaissance of Jimmy Franklin and Jeets
Unfortunately they disappeared early on in the BNP purges. They weren't having any of that out doing the locals nonsense.

That said I did like the look of James Fizzlebottom and Jefferrey Pottle who appeared on the scene shortly afterwards.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant

Ladies and gentleman, your 2019 WC Squad:

1. M Papps
2. G Worker
3. A Devcich
4. N Broom
5. C de Grandhomme
6. K Noema-Barnett
7. C Munro+
8. A Ellis
9. D Grobbelaar
10. S Kuggeleijn
11. T Nethula

12. M Bates
13. B Cachopa+
14. D Flynn
15. JJ Boult
Hamish Bennett

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
That was the first time I had seen the phrase "also rans" in print and I loved it and can't wait for a repeat usage. I may try to force it into a post even if it means modifying my view drastically just to include the phrase.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have been thinking about the high and low points of my CW posting days.

Getting bowled out for 45 was a very low day. I remember we ran a sweep on how many wickets we would lose before lunch. Someone jokingly said 10, and they won the sweep because of it.

Getting thrashed by Australia in a test series in NZ with the most Devastating bowler in the world at the time Doug Bollinger blasting through us.

There was much euphoria after Hobart. Phlegm's post on the last delivery read
"hdfjkdkfjkdjfkdjkfjkdjfkdjfkjdkjfkjkfjd oh wait it might be a no ball".

Doug Bracewell should probably never be selected again by the way as even in his most recent incarnation he seems to overstep or come close to it all the time.

I think I knew we had a turned a corner during the England 0-0 series. We didn't know how to win back then though, and set a ridiculous declaration at Eden Park, even though yes the CW faithful still defend the declaration to this day.

Thank fully the good times started to roll and we haven't really looked back although we have had the odd blip.

I do hope that Trent Boult's scans are not as serious as first feared. I read Bahnz's article several times to digest it. I even took the fact that he plans to do his own vacuming as a good sign.
I hope if he does recover that we learn from though, and use a rotation policy in the ODIs. I grudgingly accept that the two of them want to play pajama cricket. But lets get the McLeakin Runs and the Wheelers to be the people to be battered to kingdomcome in the name of fast food entertainment rather than our two class bowlers, on at least some occassions.
And if Bennett needs to be called up to be thrashed around then so be it. If Sodhi wants a turn bowling to AB Devilliers on the rampage then let him, I have no vested interest in it.

What I am coveting is a chance to be competitive in a test series in Australia. I Don't know why the opinions of the blow hard Channel 9 commentators matter to me, but strangely they do. Hearing Ian Chapple single out one guy out of our 11 with a left handed compliment by saying "this guy is actually decent" and implying that the rest should be grade cricketers has scarred me.

Let them eat crow I say, and I reckon if we can get Boult back then we have a 50/50 chance of pulling it off.

To the 2nd greatest black caps side of all time - I say Salut. Thank you for the memories you have already created.