• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not so sure about Plunkett, not played for ages and missed the last Yorkshire game for discipline reasons. Hard to select someone under those circumstances but you never know with our selectors. I'd have had Plunkett in all series in WI but might not pick him now as he hasn't played.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If being an experientialist is a goal of his then I expect to see him on a reality show shortly bungee jumping off the Auckland Harbour bridge.

I am winding you up.

Look everything that Kane has done in the past 5 years appears to have been single minded. He even took up table tennis as his hobby to help his hand eye coordination for batting. Who actually picks their hobbies to help with their cricket game. Well Kane does.

I guess it is out of keeping not for him to have a master plan for each move he makes. There is a reason why he is one of the finest batsman in the world for his age.

If the logic you have presented is what has gone through his mind then someone has influenced Kane to be more open to trying things just for the sake of trying them. And I am not sure who that would be.
I'm guessing he went to the IPL because it's the premier T20 league in the world and he wants to add value to his T20 game for the Blackcaps.

BeeGee

International Captain
So Lyth to make debut and Wood to probably be 12th man.
Yeah, Lyth will probably be the only (forced) change. Always nice to debut at home. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes.

I expect England will win the first test. Mainly due to playing at home and having just played a test series. NZ on the other hand have had terrible prep. At best they've been playing clown cricket and at worst they've been playing nothing. Having a rain ruined second warm up doesn't help either.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
well done KP.

Freddie WildeVerified account
‏@fwildecricket
#SRH have refused to release Kane Williamson early to join #EngvNZ after Kevin Pietersen's injury weakened their batting-stocks.
#IPL

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
So due to KP’s injury SRH have asked/told Kane that he is required up till the end of the round robin so he won’t be arriving till two days before the test, obviously they were a bit short of water boys. On Bhanz point about being the reserve batsman but he is not even that he is the reserve reserve batsman. Henriques and Bopara are both batting ahead of him along with Morgan and Warner. It is just a head coach (Tom Moody) been selfish, its a 1st XI coach not releasing you to play 2nd XI even though there are 14 guys on the squad, and you are not going to get a game.

Part of the blame lies with NZC/NZCPA, my understand was that the deal they had was NZC would make players available for 70% of the IPL in exchange for 10% of the salary (cant remember where I heard this but it has always been in my head). Obviously there has been push back on this deal from the players who felt like they were missing out on IPL contracts because there were not available for more of the IPL and so in an effort to appease they gave this stupid 2 days before the test series assembly date.

I guess I felt that what happened two years ago would repear itself with everyone arriving early but alas.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'm calling it now - Williamson's flight will be delayed and he will arrive the night before, get no sleep and then score NZ's first double century at Lord's since Martin Donnelly in 1949.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So due to KP’s injury SRH have asked/told Kane that he is required up till the end of the round robin so he won’t be arriving till two days before the test, obviously they were a bit short of water boys. On Bhanz point about being the reserve batsman but he is not even that he is the reserve reserve batsman. Henriques and Bopara are both batting ahead of him along with Morgan and Warner. It is just a head coach (Tom Moody) been selfish, its a 1st XI coach not releasing you to play 2nd XI even though there are 14 guys on the squad, and you are not going to get a game.

Part of the blame lies with NZC/NZCPA, my understand was that the deal they had was NZC would make players available for 70% of the IPL in exchange for 10% of the salary (cant remember where I heard this but it has always been in my head). Obviously there has been push back on this deal from the players who felt like they were missing out on IPL contracts because there were not available for more of the IPL and so in an effort to appease they gave this stupid 2 days before the test series assembly date.

I guess I felt that what happened two years ago would repear itself with everyone arriving early but alas.
Well, he is the coach, it's kinda his prerogative to be selfish about his team's chances - especially when they're precariously placed on the edge of finals qualification.

Look, I agree that the players turning up a couple of days before hand is poor and will hurt our chances. Hesson is trying to put on a brave face about it by pointing to the late arrivals for the WI tour last year, but the truth is in that case pretty much the full team was available for the final warm-up match a week prior to the first test. The only real last-minute arrival for that tour was McCullum himself, and he proceeded to play terribly throughout the tests - so that's not exactly a good sign. Still, it is what it is. I don't think you can really blame the NZC for this, I'm sure they didn't want the players turning up for such an important tour at the last minute. But with the IPL throwing around vast sums of money all the power is now in the hands of the players.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If KW gets <10 in the first innings, I can imagine him spending the entire remainder of the team's innings with some poor bastard net bowlers bowling at him with a tampered-with Duke. Then, second dig, he makes a double.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
An underdone KW can actually look tentative and fugly for up to four innings, if the UAE was any guide.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I am surprised Kane has not pushed hard for a release, probably could have forced his was out if he needed to.
Really he is giving up 10k (5% of his annual income probably) for a chance of a century at lords.
The whole IPL thing has been a failure for Kane, he ripped up his three year contract with yorkshire to go there and has played one game and earned probably less money than he would have at yorkshire.
Not sure if you are speaking on other aspects. But, in IPL, a player earns for the number of matches in which he is available and not for the number of matches he plays.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Not sure if you are speaking on other aspects. But, in IPL, a player earns for the number of matches in which he is available and not for the number of matches he plays.
No i was talking about the fact that Kane is on an almost minimum contract for the IPL of 60k. So will probably earn about 50-55k with deductions for final series. He would have been available to play 40-50% of yorkshire summer and I dont know exactly what county payments are like but my guess is the money he would have earned would have been comparable.