• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon this pitch is made for our line and length stumps attackers. Am expecting some carnage with the ball today.
Hope Southee doesn't try to bounce them out then!

Already happy as a sports fan after the Highlanders slaughtered the Chiefs. A good day in the cricket will be a bonus.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harsh is correct. Just your logic you are putting forward is inconsistent at times.

If you are going to get out first ball of a session trying to hit a boundary you deserve to be criticised. If it comes off you deserve to be called daring.
Well said

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tbh, I disagree that you deserve to be criticised if you get out but praised if it comes off. It's all about processes. You can't have it both ways.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh, he most certainly was at one point.
Haha suck it, Mike5181.

Clever forum name btw. About as dull and desiccated as your entire posting history has been. Don't worry, they'll all be yearning for you to post more often in the tour threads, one day.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Haha suck it, Mike5181.

Cleaver forum name btw. About as dull and desiccated as your entire posting history has been. Don't worry, they'll all be yearning for you to post more often in the tour threads, one day.
Nah look I'm your number one fan but this is too far. Don't be a **** you're better than this post.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Tbh, I disagree that you deserve to be criticised if you get out but praised if it comes off. It's all about processes. You can't have it both ways.
Good post but this will have to be a quick discussion as the cricket starts shortly. I can see your point. Either condemn or praise him either way regardless of the success of the shot.

I guess my point is that if you have the balls to play a shot like that you had better be a good enough player to pull it off and walk the walk. If you don't pull it off you are a chump for thinking you are better than what you are ie it turned out you were a mere mortal after all who needs to see a few sighters after a session break. The only inbetween would have been if he had sliced it off to third man for four then he would be somewhere in between a champ and a chump.

Look extended beyond slogging first ball in a session is the concept of him going hell for leather after two sighters in World Cup ODIs and actually pulling it off. You can argue that was virtually the same thing and was ill advised - a more conventional approach would be to get through the first four overs of an ODI and then start going for it. But he was good enough to go right away so people labelled him a champ. When he failed in the world cup final he was a chump and he deserved that label.

I don't know if this logic resonates with you and it doesn't bother me if it doesn't as I won't go back and forth with you as a) the game is starting shortly b) I am not overly invested in my point as my comment about him deserving to be called daring was a throwaway comment.

Zinzan

Agree, Lol @ the extremities in the last couple of pages.

Did NZ do well to come back from 2-2 yesterday considering they have to win this test? Yes

Has this aggressive approach in which each player knows their role within this side worked well in the last 2 years? Yes

Were they (McCullum & Ronchi) perhaps overly aggressive at times yesterday leading to some frustrating and unnecessary dismissals? Yes

If people haven't yet realized that McCullum's best form of defense in test cricket is to attack (even if sometimes he gets a little carried away), then they can't have watched much of him in the last 18 months.

In early 2013, against the likes of Steyn, Philander etc, McCullum tried really hard to play defensively in SA (when he was still opening) and he looked completely and utterly lost. This is his game. We have the likes of Latham, Williamson & Watling to play the measured old-fashioned innings.

It's not to say he shouldn't have looked at that first ball after tea with more care, but tbf on him it was a half volley and he just didn't execute it well. This can happen.

Zinzan

NZ first innings score sweepstake fellas? (get in before the 2nd over starts)

317 for me

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Good post but this will have to be a quick discussion as the cricket starts shortly. I can see your point. Either condemn or praise him either way regardless of the success of the shot.

I guess my point is that if you have the balls to play a shot like that you had better be a good enough player to pull it off and walk the walk. If you don't pull it off you are a chump for thinking you are better than what you are ie it turned out you were a mere mortal after all who needs to see a few sighters after a session break. The only inbetween would have been if he had sliced it off to third man for four then he would be somewhere in between a champ and a chump.

Look extended beyond slogging first ball in a session is the concept of him going hell for leather after two sighters in World Cup ODIs and actually pulling it off. You can argue that was virtually the same thing and was ill advised - a more conventional approach would be to get through the first four overs of an ODI and then start going for it. But he was good enough to go right away so people labelled him a champ. When he failed in the world cup final he was a chump and he deserved that label.

I don't know if this logic resonates with you and it doesn't bother me if it doesn't as I won't go back and forth with you as a) the game is starting shortly b) I am not overly invested in my point as my comment about him deserving to be called daring was a throwaway comment.
Failing one time, and similarly succeeding one time, is not a proper indicator of whether you do have what it takes to pull it off though. There's too much variance in batting for that. My logic is either that you think him playing how he played is the best way for him to get runs, which means you have to take the rough with the smooth (Mike did this), or you don't, which means you have full licence to put the boot in when it fails.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Failing one time, and similarly succeeding one time, is not a proper indicator of whether you do have what it takes to pull it off though. There's too much variance in batting for that. My logic is either that you think him playing how he played is the best way for him to get runs, which means you have to take the rough with the smooth (Mike did this), or you don't, which means you have full licence to put the boot in when it fails.
All good.