• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Broad to McCullum, FOUR, edged! Wide of the slips down to third man. No holding back, again. Full on off stump and he threw his hands through the drive

Stokes to McCullum, 1 run, now McCullum drives without much footwork and gets an inside edge to long leg

My broad point is not that I think McCullum should not play attacking cricket, but this attacking from the first ball nonsense has to stop. It is too reckless and the cost-benefit analysis is bad.

To be fair to McCullum, he put away bad balls - and there were quite a few of them - and also managed to leave/not play decent deliveries.

That first edge you mention also went no-where near anyone, and was a massively thick edge on something he intended to drive down the ground, proving the 'if you're going to flash' adage quite right. The inside edge was a non-issue.

Stapel

International Regular
McCullum struggled for years because he was stuck in some awkward middle-ground (do I attack, or defend). He's basically just said '*** it, I actually feel most comfortable when I just go out there and attack. He's had his most successful period of test cricket with the bat in the last two years while doing so. Most of his big scores have come quickly. There's going to be a lot of cringe-worthy moments, but he'll come off more often than he would trying to bat like someone he's not.
I can see why a more conservative approach would work for many, but not for all. So, you have a fait point. Yet, I'm convinced he can do better.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
McCullum struggled for years because he was stuck in some awkward middle-ground (do I attack, or defend). He's basically just said '*** it, I actually feel most comfortable when I just go out there and attack. He's had his most successful period of test cricket with the bat in the last two years while doing so. Most of his big scores have come quickly. There's going to be a lot of cringe-worthy moments, but he'll come off more often than he would trying to bat like someone he's not.
I should leave the arguing to other people. This sums it up perfectly.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I would call Colin Munro a pinch hitter in the context of a Test series in England too, btw.

It's really no exaggeration to say that Ronchi doesn't have much of a defensive game. It's not much of a criticism either, given that he's coming in at 7, and there have been some damn useful players (Prior, Haddin) with similarly styled games.
My problem came with sayin "slightly" better Southee. There's nothing slight about the gulf in batting ability between Southee and Ronchi.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I get it. But I think this argument suffers from post hoc ergo propter hoc, or correlation is not causation. I, like Stapel, think that he can do a little better. It might seem a bit left field, but I think his success as a batsman has got more factors involved than just "he has decided to say **** it and attack". First, giving up the gloves would have a positive impact on his batting. Second, this may be the prime batting period of his life, regardless of his approach, in terms of how his technique and temperament have come together with his hand-eye coordination. For example, Shiv Chanderpaul had his batting prime in mid to late 30s without having to change his approach. Sometimes it all comes together. I think Baz might be wasting his peak a little with his approach right now.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saw about an hour and in that time Ronchi was living a charmed life and we were dropping chances and wating reviews. Felt more like an ODI the way Ronchi was batting, Latham looked good apart from against Moeen.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
My problem came with sayin "slightly" better Southee. There's nothing slight about the gulf in batting ability between Southee and Ronchi.
it's called hyperbole.

Saw about an hour and in that time Ronchi was living a charmed life and we were dropping chances and wating reviews. Felt more like an ODI the way Ronchi was batting, Latham looked good apart from against Moeen.
Moeen should have had him 3 times by my count.

Howsie

International Captain
Aside from Anderson England bowled complete piss yesterday. Line and lengths were all over the place. I like Stokes as a cricketer, especially if he's batting at six. But England could see some very, very bad days in the field with him, Wood and Moeen all bowling in the same attack. Wood really doesn't look like much chop IMO and I can see why he's had so many injury problems. One of those guys who looks like he's putting everything he has in getting the ball down the other end.

I won't even bother with New Zealand. McCullum deserves to be shot for his dismissal. That was under 12's. Ronchi too, although his innings was pretty high class. Hoping for anoher 20-30 runs and then Southee shows up big time today, could be a pitch for him.

Howsie

International Captain
Hesson has never been anti-Watling, so other than the CW tinfoil hat brigade circa 2013, I'm not sure where that's come from.
Oh, he most certainly was at one point. Not now though, he'd never drop him. Kind of hard to drop the argubly best WKB in the world anyway.