• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
This didn't happen last time he bowled a Test in Australia though Mark Craig did get knocked around in the same innings. You can also count on one hand the number of innings hes gone at over 4 an over in Tests.
Craig got taken for 20 in his last over when Mitchell Starc went into slog mode. Otherwise their ER's for the match were pretty similar (both around 3.5). Santner is a spud in tests just like Southee is one in ODI's.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Patel and Somerville aren't Mark Craig. With Santner you get the option of a economical pressure building bowler, whereas you get that with Patel and Somerville with the added option of wicket taking ability and potential to win a match in the 4th innings. The fact they might be 'more' expensive is the same reason Wagner will be expensive than CdG - Kane will have more options with Wagner than CdG and will use them accordingly.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ajaz isn't a pressure building bowler like Santner (or Somers), though he also isn't a release valve like Sodhi or Craig tbf. Still all of these guys aren't going to win games with the ball, take the batting and the bloke who has a proven record of staying calm when being attacked in International cricket.

thierry henry

International Coach
The idea that we should pick an attacking spin bowler is rather undermined by Daniel Vettori being highly regarded for his bowling in Australia, despite being extremely ineffective as an attacking spinner for much of his career.

Left arm straight with spectacles is apparently pretty handy in Aus.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The idea that we should pick an attacking spin bowler is rather undermined by Daniel Vettori being highly regarded for his bowling in Australia, despite being extremely ineffective as an attacking spinner for much of his career.

I was complaining to Cribb about that specific point haha

the big bambino

International Captain

Except he wasn't left arm straight here. I used to argue with an Indian fan about Vettori's value. I'd rate him and the Indian guy thought he bowled straight pies. It was like he was two different bowlers and we both saw only one of them. Then I saw Vettori bowling in a test in India on TV in a hotel I was staying in and I could see why the other bloke didn't rate him. He just plonked the same uninspiring stuff over on over and didn't look a threat at all. The contrast with what i saw when he was playing tests in Australia was startling. Against us he'd vary speed, lines even contrast flight with a few skiddy faster balls. In short he had variety which he executed with skill. I remember watching on innings when he took 2/124 but thought he bowled very well.

The differences in his averages in India and Australia isn't great until you factor in what you'd expect for the conditions. Averaging 40 in Australia is a pretty good return for a spinner while his 44 in India is probably a comparative failure.

As for this series I'd pick the bowler who is going to trouble the batsman over someone who you hope will contain the batsman with straight pies. I'd go for Somerville

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Except he wasn't left arm straight here. I used to argue with an Indian fan about Vettori's value. I'd rate him and the Indian guy thought he bowled straight pies. It was like he was two different bowlers and we both saw only one of them. Then I saw Vettori bowling in a test in India on TV in a hotel I was staying in and I could see why the other bloke didn't rate him. He just plonked the same uninspiring stuff over on over and didn't look a threat at all. The contrast with what i saw when he was playing tests in Australia was startling. Against us he'd vary speed, lines even contrast flight with a few skiddy faster balls. In short he had variety which he executed with skill. I remember watching on innings when he took 2/124 but thought he bowled very well.

The differences in his averages in India and Australia isn't great until you factor in what you'd expect for the conditions. Averaging 40 in Australia is a pretty good return for a spinner while his 44 in India is probably a comparative failure.

As for this series I'd pick the bowler who is going to trouble the batsman over someone who you hope will contain the batsman with straight pies. I'd go for Somerville
The theory would seem to be that tall spinners who can get a bit of bounce do ok in Australia and do crap in India. Nathan Lyon being the other obvious example.

Not sure if Kumble is relevant because his style was a bit weird in that he kinda speared things in almost like a medium pacer.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who averages 33.57 in Australia and 30.59 in India? I dunno man.
Compare those averages to the overall averages for spinners in each country and I bet you'll find that the 33.57 in Australia is a lot more impressive than 30.59 in India

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Compare those averages to the overall averages for spinners in each country and I bet you'll find that the 33.57 in Australia is a lot more impressive than 30.59 in India
True, but 30-31 for a visiting spinner in India is fine. Hardly 'doing crap'.