• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand domestic season 2022/23

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He struggles against genuine 145+ pace bowlers, and on fast pitches. Needs to figure out his scoring options against quicks.

He's also not physically fit enough.
Yet on the 2015 Australian tour, with Starc/Hazelwood/Johnson, he made a bunch of starts and looked absolutely comfortable but kept getting out in different ways. Has that changed?

Not sure about the physically fit thing, I doubt he'd be the sort of person to not reach the levels of commitment required for an international player.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yet on the 2015 Australian tour, with Starc/Hazelwood/Johnson, he made a bunch of starts and looked absolutely comfortable but kept getting out in different ways. Has that changed?

Not sure about the physically fit thing, I doubt he'd be the sort of person to not reach the levels of commitment required for an international player.
if you're capable and scoring runs and consistently getting out after starts a) you're probably just not that good (probable) or not physically fit enough to push on (what I believe to be the case with Latham...although it's true I haven't tested his physical fitness...so see a) for most likely).

there is no evidence for any mental/psychological skill enhancement in sport, the entire industry of sports psychology is a grift, so I'd just prefer not to add to that by referencing it as some type of player attribute or skill.

Flem274*

123/5
if you're capable and scoring runs and consistently getting out after starts a) you're probably just not that good (probable) or not physically fit enough to push on (what I believe to be the case with Latham...although it's true I haven't tested his physical fitness...so see a) for most likely).

there is no evidence for any mental/psychological skill enhancement in sport, the entire industry of sports psychology is a grift, so I'd just prefer not to add to that by referencing it as some type of player attribute or skill.
I'm going to regret this but...

I want to see the evidence, because as far as I'm aware it all points towards players feeling like they benefitted from the psychological stuff. That would also agree with irl observation of people who have been through sports psychology.

I remember you running some general "mental health isn't real" yarn a few years back and promoting veganism in its place so I'm not hopeful of a constructive discussion.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Good signs all-round so far this round. Shipley amongst the wickets and runs, 8fer and 30(25) in his return, ashkok amongst the wickets on debut, and young + bruce amongst the runs on a tough deck.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Good signs all-round so far this round. Shipley amongst the wickets and runs, 8fer and 30(25) in his return, ashkok amongst the wickets on debut, and young + bruce amongst the runs on a tough deck.
Deck looks good for batting to me, it's just been a weird game.

RiderJake

Cricket Spectator
I'm going to regret this but...

I want to see the evidence, because as far as I'm aware it all points towards players feeling like they benefitted from the psychological stuff. That would also agree with irl observation of people who have been through sports psychology.

I remember you running some general "mental health isn't real" yarn a few years back and promoting veganism in its place so I'm not hopeful of a constructive discussion.
How can it be that mental health is not real? It can' t be like that, we are not in the Middle Ages.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
So what do you think about peer-reviewed articles in the likes of the Journal of Applied Sports Psychology, International Journal of Sports Psychology, and Journal of Sports Psychology in Action?

RiderJake

Cricket Spectator
So what do you think about peer-reviewed articles in the likes of the Journal of Applied Sports Psychology, International Journal of Sports Psychology, and Journal of Sports Psychology in Action?
Personally, I like the series Necessary Roughness better - it is a fiction film, not a scientific study, but it shows the effectiveness of psychological work.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Or you lack the required focus/mental application to play long innings'.

Does your second paragraph seriously suggest mental/psychological skill and development thereof is a fallacy?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I searched long and hard for the big Ship's effort (I'm a fan) and it took me this long to work out that was an A game.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't seen much of Ashok though know he's highly rated. Looks like he's bowling quite flat... or is it just the reverse angle affecting my perspective?

Just hope he's not a young spinner that starts with flight and big turn, but then has to leave that behind and bowl flat and fast to make it at domestic level.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Bevan Small turning out for CD A - there's a name you haven't heard in a long time. Must've worked back from all those injuries.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bevan Small turning out for CD A - there's a name you haven't heard in a long time. Must've worked back from all those injuries.
I thought he'd turned into a #3 batsman at club level. He batted 6 in this game and made a half century which backs that up, but I was surprised to see him also open the bowling!

Anyone batting 6 and opening the bowling for a provincial A team has got to be a good chance of a call-up, really.