• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand domestic season 2022/23

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe upholding fine Alex Tait legacy things. Moneyball things. 'Bowl as slow and accurately as we can to Ravindra' things.

Howsie

International Captain
I was thinking he must’ve picked up an injury while batting because surely he would’ve bowled otherwise. No way Brett Hampton is getting the ball ahead of him any other way.

How bad are some of these bowling attacks btw. Filthy medium pace rubbish by the looks. New Zealand really is in for a drop off in 2-3 years

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes you'd think the ECB of Key, Stokes and McCullum would probably look at this Dooka ball cricket and think to themselves 'why on earth are those English school teacher wannabes down in New Zealand just sleepwalking into exactly the style and look of first-class cricket we'd want to put behind us'.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, thinking back to the dawn of the golden age around 2013, when it seemed every team had an exciting young quick in the ranks (well, except for Wellington which became a bit of a retiring home for the work horses of the dark years). Auckland with Ferguson, CD with their stable of talented (albeit usually crocked) colts, Canterbury with Henry and Nuttall, Otago with a still teenaged Duffy and of course ND with the dream team and the yet to be disgraced Kuggs. Don't see much of their like in the opening round of the shield. We all chuckled when Might Matt McEwan laid waste to domestic batting lineups a couple of years back, it's a shame the domestic sides around the country seem to have taken it as a template for short term success.

Flem274*

123/5
i've been saying the dookaburra and anything duke ruins domestic quality for years.

if they must, at least make the pitches flat.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
How bad are some of these bowling attacks btw. Filthy medium pace rubbish by the looks. New Zealand really is in for a drop off in 2-3 years
Might be a bit longer than 2-3 years, still have some hope with Jamieson, Henry, Sears, Nathan Smith, Fisher, Shipley, even Milne/Ferguson are 30-31 respectively (although I know there's very little hope either plays Test cricket). That's a good crop of guys, glaring omission there's no left armers, sadly.

But yeah, the point is fair. A lot of medium pace stuff that wouldn't go near passing muster at A level let alone above.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only just noticed that former ND-rep James Baker has been turning out in internationals for Samoa. Given he's only recently played for ND (2021), he's not gone as well as you'd expect, perhaps. Mind you, ND never picked him for T20, so perhaps that was never his format.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe upholding fine Alex Tait legacy things. Moneyball things. 'Bowl as slow and accurately as we can to Ravindra' things.
Mmm CDG should have been the one, then. ND wishing for more Solia-types for a change.

Speaking of Solia, he's opened the batting for Auckland in addition to opening the bowling.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The two quickest under-25 pacers in New Zealand both bowl in mini bursts from about the 30th over onwards for their teams now. They basically ask what that poster Thundaboult would want to see and immediately invert it.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, thinking back to the dawn of the golden age around 2013, when it seemed every team had an exciting young quick in the ranks (well, except for Wellington which became a bit of a retiring home for the work horses of the dark years). Auckland with Ferguson, CD with their stable of talented (albeit usually crocked) colts, Canterbury with Henry and Nuttall, Otago with a still teenaged Duffy and of course ND with the dream team and the yet to be disgraced Kuggs. Don't see much of their like in the opening round of the shield. We all chuckled when Might Matt McEwan laid waste to domestic batting lineups a couple of years back, it's a shame the domestic sides around the country seem to have taken it as a template for short term success.
Yes - that's about ten bowlers that were the anointed ones of their generation, most played U-19s either for NZ or domestic U-19s and then played FC very young. Of the ten, Southee+Boult graduated in full to the NZ test side and a couple of others in Henry and Ferguson were or could've been there-abouts in test cricket. The rest either got injured or didn't develop enough.

So who does NZ have in the post-Wagner, post-Boult, post-CDG test era that's approaching quite rapidly? Say two years from now:

Lynchpin
Jamieson. If he gets serious injury problems we're in all sorts of trouble.

End of previous generation
Very-late-career Southee
Late-career Henry

Next generation U-19 pathway into FC, now in early 20s
Sears
N. Smith
Fisher
Kristian Clarke
O'Rourke
Shipley - a bit older at 26, borderline belongs in the next category
(any I've missed?)

Age 28-32 bowlers that might still have something but it hasn't been found consistently yet
Duffy
Tickner
Nuttall
Van Beek (according to NZ A selectors - yuck. 32yo)
Randall, I guess deserves a listing for topping the wickets charts last season

South African pathway
@Kippax - the ones playing NZ domestics right now look pretty medium-paced, who might have a hint of international quality? An inner raging Wagner?

Speedsters that will probably never play a(nother) test
Ferguson
Milne

Fourth seamer allrounder at a stretch
D Bracewell (yeah. 32yo)
Solia

Some unidentified potential in one of the numerous medium pacers going round
?

That's six via the U-19 path, so if the ratios hold then one of those will be a good international bowler and one or two will be a maybe. If we are extremely fortunate one of those listed will be Boult/Southee quality and make a good combination with Jamieson.

But we will likely need another 1-2 bowlers from the other categories to play an important part. Find a way to get something out of those 26-32 year olds or get a South African (yeah it's a joke that 'South African pathway' is even listed as a thing, but that was the previous template). We will probably need some fairly boring but adequate bowlers like late-career Henry and maybe Duffy to tide us over for a bit, especially when there are injuries.

Will be an interesting couple of seasons and depth could be tested earlier than desired. Even this home summer if Jamieson still injured, Boult is unavailable, maybe one other injury ... last NZ test squad suggests Blair Tickner test debut :eek: .

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Namibia have an absolute surfeit of left-armers. Trumpelmann probably the quickest. Trumpelmann is 24, JJ Smit is 26 and Frylinck 28.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
South African pathway
@Kippax - the ones playing NZ domestics right now look pretty medium-paced, who might have a hint of international quality? An inner raging Wagner?
Yeah I was looking through the channel of Azhar Abbas (NZ Pace Academy) the other day for any new braai guys:

New Zealand is now perceived as "sedate and sleepy county cricket vibes, except with worse money, and far fewer Stokes or McCullum disagreeable bad boys who could be catalysts for change" by one of them I know, unfortunately.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Otago took Christi Viljoen for a number of years. Decent player, but I'd suggest all three I named above are superior bowlers and probably superior batsmen too.
Heh, getting something from southern africans who want to pursue options elsewhere is one thing, actively poaching them is quite another!

Yeah I was looking through the channel of Azhar Abbas (NZ Pace Academy) the other day for any new braai guys:

New Zealand is now perceived as "sedate and sleepy county cricket vibes, except with worse money, and far fewer Stokes or McCullum disagreeable bad boys who could be catalysts for change" by one of them I know, unfortunately.
Had a quick look at that channel - looks a wildly mixed bag.