• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand domestic season 2022/23

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm interested to see Young is still opening for CD - probably suggests he will still line up as NZ opener next time NZ play a test match too.
I've been thinking about this... I think it certainly shows that's the spot he wants to push for, but it doesn't necessarily mean he'll get it.

I'd probably prefer him to push for Nicholls' spot instead at this point.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think G Phillips will be pushing for that spot too. Will be interesting to see if we go for 5 batters, Blundell, allrounder + 4 bowlers OR
6 batters, Blundell, 4 bowlers.
It probably depends on how much they trust/rate Mitchell's bowling. He's a genuine allrounder at FC level despite not really looking much but there's been no real faith in him as a bowling option internationally by Kane/Latham even when he's kind of been picked as a batting allrounder.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I've been thinking about this... I think it certainly shows that's the spot he wants to push for, but it doesn't necessarily mean he'll get it.

I'd probably prefer him to push for Nicholls' spot instead at this point.
Would have to mean Conway opening then? Same old discussion as last season. It probably is the best option.

If things had gone to plan Rachin would be ready for elevation to NZ opener about now, but they haven't.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would have to mean Conway opening then? Same old discussion as last season. It probably is the best option.
I was thinking a 3-6 of Kane, Conway, Young/Nicholls and Mitchell.

I'd actually open with Cooper but given they didn't even take him on the A tour I don't think that's a realistic option. I can see them making Carter do it if they don't stick with Young, potentially career-ruining in the way it may have been with Young (and Vincent, Sinclair etc) as it would be.

Rachin opening would help with the fifth bowler issue - between him and Mitchell I think they'd have that covered - but I don't really think he's technically up to doing it right now, especially at home. Probably worth a crack anyway.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I can see them thinking about making Carter do it, but then just reconsidering and picking Young again. Unless Young puts up a(nother) horrendous run of scores opening to force the issue.

Cooper was quietly accumulating a good FC record up until the greener seamers of the last two seasons. Still would've played for NZ with that record any other time in the last two decades. Otherwise it's Rutherford and Raval. Or Rachin could just score two centuries before Xmas to tell the selectors he's ready :thumbsup:.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, that's an awesome catch to dismiss Phillips. Dad Sommerville gently reminding the selectors that he's still alive in advance of the Pakistan tour.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lovely catch/anticipation by O'Donnell to dismiss Dale Phillips in the Otago/Auckland game.

EDIT: Hadn't seen Bahnz's post.

EDIT 2: Seifert misses a half-volley to be dismissed by McPeake. Ugh.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I'm quite surprised at the negative comments Sneddon gets on here.

To my eye ( run-up, action, speed, bounce) he looks a perfectly fine domestic bowler.

I think the first negative comment on here , I noticed, was by an Australian poster on a warm up match v one of the Asian tourists. So, it's not some in-fighting Welly club cricket factionalism.

I'm not saying I have an opinion on his accuracy, or how much movement he can get. Just the mechanics.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
:lol: at the CDG dismissal.

Thought Popli was on for the first century of the round, sigh.

Both ND and Otago have blown a great start of 150/2 and 150/3 respectively. (edit: wrong way round)

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez, ND came unzipped in a hurry. Meanwhile Max Chu continues to show off that admirable stickability from season's past.