• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2015/16

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Welly sign craig cachopa as overseas player in all formats up to January.

Good move by craig, need to keep his options open after a quick stats look shows he stunk Sussex up in 2 of the formats. He will be hoping it's just second season syndrome.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Welly sign craig cachopa as overseas player in all formats up to January.

Good move by craig, need to keep his options open after a quick stats look shows he stunk Sussex up in 2 of the formats. He will be hoping it's just second season syndrome.
No time for sportsmen with a complete lack of loyalty such as he's exhibited. He could've been Auckland captain by 2017-18

jcas0167

International Debutant
What are your goals as coach of the Wellington Firebirds?

We want to have success, but it's how you define it. I want the players to improve their games. Building a strong team environment is important, so that the guys are a unified force. If all the players are performing to the top of their ability, then that tends to lead to a lot of wins. I'm keen to build a wider training squad, instead of having just a core of about 15. Building our depth is very important....

How would today's team fare against that great team you were part of in the 1980s - Hadlee, Crowe, Howarth, Wright, Cairns, Chatfield, Smith, Bracewell and company?

The New Zealand team now is far stronger. We had about four professional players and the rest of us were amateurs. Now they're all professionals. They understand more about their roles. There is a lot of discussion about cricket within the team, there's more scouting of opposition, more analysis, more communication generally. The players are fitter, stronger, more adventurous. The nature of Twenty20 has helped. It has allowed players to be more attacking - strike rates matter more than averages.

Would you have been a better player in today's environment?

Definitely. When I opened for New Zealand, I accepted my role was to not get out, to wear down the opposition. If I played now, I would play more strokes, look to dominate more, perhaps in the Tom Latham/ Kane Williamson mould. You also have to consider how much the game has changed - things like smaller boundaries, bigger bats, power plays, the no ball rules. Most of the changes seem to favour the batsmen...
Back to the future for Bruce Edgar | Stuff.co.nz

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He could have been in the test team by then. Scoring runs, right age etc
Absolutely. Now he's Hamish Marshall without the international career. That's cool, if you like new bathrooms in a house you're hardly ever in, or you have a mrs who likes handbags.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I remember reading that Edgar was quite into sports psychology when he played and he's appointed Richard Petrie to help out the Firebirds.

Mental skills, that mythical top two inches, was often discussed as the most important for a top cricketer, but rarely coached. There was such a dearth that when he was still playing in the 1990s, he was paid to run some sessions for team-mates.

"Back then if you said 'what percentage of your success would you attribute to your mind', everyone would answer '80-90 per cent'. And yet the mental skills training would equate to about one per cent," Petrie says.

"It was do it yourself; the coaches didn't know how to coach it and everyone would throw around cliches like 'you've got to want it more than other guys', 'back yourself', that type of thing, but it was all very high level and no one broke it down step by step."

Now, nearly 25 years on, and Petrie is returning to the Wellington Firebirds dressing room as their first official mental skills trainer....

"We hit lots of balls and go to the gym and do lots of running but actually sitting down and focusing on visualisation, concentration and how to react to pressure and deal with your emotions, it's a really important thing," Edgar said.
Former Black Cap Richard Petrie becomes Wellington's first fulltime mental skills coach | Stuff.co.nz

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, in news to excite ch00baka, Lance Dry has been appointed in a talent identification role:

Wellington Scoop said:
Cricket Wellington is pleased to announce the appointment of two local cricket identities to the High Performance support team.

Former Wellington and NZ player Richard Petrie has been appointed as the Mental Skills Trainer for the Wellington Firebirds. Petrie will provide training and support to the Firebirds squad, assisting players with the tools and techniques needed to both cope with and succeed in modern professional cricket.

Long-serving Eastern Suburbs captain Lance Dry has been appointed as Wellington Provincial A Selector and Talent ID Manager. Dry’s role is an expansion of the selector role for the Wellington city side he has held over recent summers, and now sees him working with Provincial A Coach Glenn Pocknall, while also contributing to the talent identification and pathway process within Cricket Wellington’s representative framework.

Commenting on both appointments Director of Cricket Robbie Kerr said it was particularly pleasing to have such passionate Wellington people involved. “Both Richard and Lance have a long association with Wellington cricket and teams, and both are passionate about helping the region to achieve its goals. We’re very fortunate to have such capable and committed people within our support team.”

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah they won't put the pooch boys to work with their cameras down there until the A internationals begin.

Howsie

International Captain
Glad to see my two favourite Canterbury 'A' cricketers, Ed Nuttall and Kyle Jamieson are in this Winter training squad. Both will be playing for New Zealand before 2017.