• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Aaaaand Bronwlie misses his chance to put himself definitively ahead of Guptill and Cachopa in the Battle for No.3.
I don't get the "battle", myself. Brownlie was already in the Test squad and was frankly unlucky to be dropped - it was a pragmatic decision based on the conditions and the balance of the side, which the hierarchy admitted. I honestly think a bigger debate lied in whether or not he should come back in for Anderson if Williamson wasn't injured than if he should be the replacement now.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Henry bowled some pearlers to pick up his three wickets. Also good to see Bennett getting a bit of away shape.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket: Rakitha Weerasundera riding high in Kiwi land | Times Online

Spotting the surname Weerasundera in a foreign batting lineup is guaranteed to send most local eyebrows arching high in curiosity.

But throw in the fact that the lineup belongs to the New Zealand Under 19 team, the name is at the top of it and the score in front of it is 92; well it is pretty safe to assume that most Sri Lankans will probably be frantically working every available search engine for more information.

Left-hand opener Rakitha Weerasundera is indeed Sri Lankan, born in Colombo before moving to Wellington following his third birthday.

He is also an immensely gifted and versatile player, capable of patiently grafting an anchoring innings or upping the ante with some power-packed pyrotechnics.

In the intervening years since he left his house in Thalawathugoda and stormed onto the Kiwi junior cricket circuit, Rakitha worked diligently at being the perfect exponent of the sport most closely associated with his native country.

“Being Sri Lankan means cricket is in my blood. My dad (Asoka) was a passionate cricket fan so he introduced me to the game and ever since then I’ve loved it,” Rakitha reveals.

“The coach I have had as a youngster and still have now is a man named Ivan Tissera, who has helped me from a young age and has shaped my technique and how I approach the game.

“I also had a lot of contact with Mahela Jayawardene because my dad was good friends with him and he has acted as a role model for me. I wanted to play just like him. And my dad is someone else I look up to and has helped me a lot with my cricket.”

This rich supply of advice and assistance rapidly guided Rakitha through playing gears and he was soon ripping past opposition, first for his school team, Wellington College, before moving on to render his sublime services for the Johnsonville Cricket Club and the Wellington Under-19 and Under-20 teams.

Among the many dominant early innings which stand out in his memory is an imperious 138 he crafted at the age of 15 for Wellington against Canterbury.

Like most batsmen, the precocious 18-year-old has also faced demons out in the middle, most notably during a particularly sticky patch of form around the time he was 14, but for the most part it has been plain sailing.

On April 6 of this year, on the strength of a steely 71 for the Black Caps in a three-day international match (Australia Under 19s), Rakitha made his ODI debut for the New Zealand Under 19 side, playing against the visiting Australians at the Bert Sutcliffe Oval in Lincoln.

He struck a confident 46-ball 36, littered with 5 fours and 1 six at a far from pedestrian strike rate of 85.71.

His strong entry into the junior ranks of top flight international cricket was tinged with an additional coat of dominance when he flogged the Aussies to all parts of the park for his current career-high of 92.

The knock also proved to be a match-winning innings as it pushed New Zealand to a thrilling one-wicket home victory.

Since then he has bolstered his place in the team with subsequent scores of 76, 25 and 41 against the Australia Under-19, Indian Under-19 and Northern Territories teams.

At his core, he possesses the flamboyant qualities that garnish the games of so many Lankan players, but he is not averse to carefully taming fizzing red leather and deceptively serene tracks with unhurried, focused application, which speaks volumes for his Test cricket potential.

“Batting for the New Zealand Under-19 team has been a new challenge but I have really enjoyed it. I was given advice by coaches in Wellington before flying to play in the Tri Series (Australia and India) to play my natural game no matter what opposition I played and stick to what I know best.

“So that is all I did and I was fortunate enough to score runs. I love winning games no matter whom I play for and especially contributing towards a win for my country is a huge honour,” he explains.

He hopes his current vein of form will earn him a contract with the local first class team, the Wellington Firebirds, next year, through which he could eventually earn a call-up to the New Zealand senior side.

Referring to his country of origin, Rakitha comments that he maintains strong bonds with Sri Lanka, with many of his relations still residing here.

He adds that he has frequently benefitted from the support of a representative body in New Zealand, the United Sri Lanka Association (USLA).

He has also directly witnessed the country’s cricketing landscape when he toured Sri Lanka as part of the Willows Cricket Team that engaged in fixtures against several school and district sides.

A conspicuous feature of that tour for Rakitha was the stylistic difference between his team and the varying opposition.

“The main difference I noticed is the natural flair some of the Sri Lankan batsmen had compared to our New Zealand batsmen. A lot of our New Zealand batsmen have a solid, structured technique compared to Sri Lankan batsmen, who play with their instinct,” he noted.

His first-year appearance on the world arena has exhibited that Rakitha too shoulders quite a bit of this flair and instinctive aggression.

This, and a demonstrated knack for firing under pressure, leaves Rakitha strongly positioned for a later thrust toward top team honours.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Strange that Quinn has bowled 18 overs, Bates 19 and the other four bowlers only have 21 overs between them. Hope Bartlett is not injured.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Strange that Quinn has bowled 18 overs, Bates 19 and the other four bowlers only have 21 overs between them. Hope Bartlett is not injured.
I think it's just textbook village captaincy from Hopkins. "Deck doing a bit? Bowl accurate medium pacers into the ground."

The fact that the innings has been separated by an overnight break has contributed too; Quinn and Bates have basically bowled two opening spells now if that makes sense.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The fact that the innings has been separated by an overnight break has contributed too; Quinn and Bates have basically bowled two opening spells now if that makes sense.
Yeah that does tend to happen a bit and isn't necessarily a bad idea. Perhaps Hopkins is just uninspired by Grobbelaar, de Grandhomme and Martin as three of his remaining options - though Auckland lacking FC wicket-taking bowlers is hardly anything new.

Flem274*

123/5
Looks to be a good comeback from Auckland so far after conceding a decent lead. Guptill wants a piece of KW's tumblr action and Raval is pouring poop over his NZ A exclusion. He's still not playing for an Unholy Alliance side though so it might not count. Needs to buy a new bat from Grant Bradburn Sports.

Bennett and Henry aside, the economy rates look a bit loose for some of these bowlers. Looking forward to the highlights because I want to watch this and Bartlett.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I reckon if Guptill goes big tomorrow Brownlie can kiss his no.3 hopes goodbye. The fact that these two are also in direct competition for a potential opening spot should hopefully give them the incentive to not get out after making a decent score and strive to push on for something big.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I'm keen to see if Guppers has more flexion in his knees these days. I remember in Sri Lanka and SA he kept getting out losing his balance slightly because his front knee was locked.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Heh, Guptill really is just imperious against the seamers at this level. I also love the way that the ball pings off Raval's bat when he plays that leg glance.

Whatever it was playing like on day 1, that pitch now looks like an absolute belter. Should be hundreds all around tomorrow.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill's problem is that he plays the ball in front of him rather than late and underneath his eyes. This lets him use his height to drive good length balls, which is great in one day cricket but means consistent failure in test cricket.

His technique is basically the opposite to Flynn's.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill retired hurt before a ball was bowled this morning. The fact that Bennett has been taken off after just one, wicket-taking, over doesn't bode well either.

Edit: he's back on now. Very peculiar choice.

Last edited:

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Whatever it was playing like on day 1, that pitch now looks like an absolute belter. Should be hundreds all around tomorrow.
The clouds are starting to roll across the city so may be something in it for the swingers today, like Day 1.

I hope Guppy has not reaggravated his groin he is vital to our LO fortune this summer.

Blain

U19 Captain
Good to see Raval in the runs early this season. I dont think Rutherford is a certainty at opener yet, has a few issues to sort first.

God Aucklands side is boring. Where is kitchen?

vandem

International 12th Man
Good to see Raval in the runs early this season. I dont think Rutherford is a certainty at opener yet, has a few issues to sort first.
So obvious questions:
1. in which test will Raval make his test debut
2. and replacing who?

My 2c:
1. 1st test vs India
2. Fulton. (Rutherford will get enough short and wide bowling to make a couple of 50s vs WI.)

Binkley

U19 Captain
Guptill retired hurt before a ball was bowled this morning. The fact that Bennett has been taken off after just one, wicket-taking, over doesn't bode well either.

Edit: he's back on now. Very peculiar choice.
There is an "injury update" page on the BlackCaps website which says Guptill had a sore hamstring and retired only as a precautionary step. The page also has some news on McCullum (good), Taylor (new injury, but back by 26 November), Williamson (no news really) and Southee (in training, to play 26 November):

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So obvious questions:
2. and replacing who?

My 2c:
1. 1st test vs India
2. Fulton. (Rutherford will get enough short and wide bowling to make a couple of 50s vs WI.)
You're a brave man to predict Rutherford outlasts Fulton as NZ opener imo.

Rutherford really needs some 4-day runs, rather than being involved in ODI tours that he is utterly unsuited for owing to his terrible shot selection and lack of ability to balance risk/reward. He's already on thin ice as test opener I would think, but right now he's still in and I want him to do well. I will be mega-pissed if he misses the next Otago FC match starting on the 19th on account of only just having arrived back from this SL ODI series.

My guess is if Raval has a good season, he replaces Rutherford during that India series. Or Latham does. Rutherford to hopefully come back a better player in a few years.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Raval has never gone more than one ton per season, which has probably been the reason he hasn't come under close scrutiny by selectors*. So good chance here very early in season to put his name up there.

* doesn't explain 'A' tour neglect though, where a certain ND part time opener score his maiden FC ton while on the actual bloody A tour.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
So obvious questions:
2. and replacing who?

My 2c:
1. 1st test vs India
Not in the next 12 months,

Latham, Guptill, Carl Cachopa and probably Devcich are all ahead of him in the selectors books.